Which other schools have preceptorships during the first two years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inquiringmind24

"The fact man"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know which schools aside from AZCOM offer the early clinical experience/preceptorships to their first and second year students. I would assume this is normal, but I've heard that some programs don't do this. Since I'll be starting mine with a pediatrician next week, I would be interested to hear feedback from those who have done this in the past as MS1's and MS2's.

Members don't see this ad.

Inquiringmind24 said:
I'm curious to know which schools aside from AZCOM offer the early clinical experience/preceptorships to their first and second year students. I would assume this is normal, but I've heard that some programs don't do this. Since I'll be starting mine with a pediatrician next week, I would be interested to hear feedback from those who have done this in the past as MS1's and MS2's.

My school did this. During 1st year it was just observerships - 5 times, each time with a different physician. 2nd year we were able to do history and physicals if the physicians had us do so - not all did. That was 10 times during the year, again each time with a different dr.
The quality and value of these experiences varied greatly depending on what office you were in.

Inquiringmind24 said:

OSU-COM does on Friday afternoons at our hospital for MS-I's & MS-II's.

We rotated in different departments each week.

I was in ER, Rads, Cath Lab, L&D, Surgery, etc. I always ended up in surgery at the end of the day, because sometimes they would let me scrub in.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM does. It is a program called "early clinical contact program", it is required to pass our intro to clinical medicine class. We do it second year as well.

KCOM has a "complete DOctor" course and part of that is making house calls to elderly patients. We also do a 2-week preceptorship in the summer between our 1st and 2nd years.

MSUCOM has five Friday's a semester during second year at a Family Practice office.
Most of the physicians allow students to do quite a bit.

(nicedream) said:
My school did this. During 1st year it was just observerships - 5 times, each time with a different physician. 2nd year we were able to do history and physicals if the physicians had us do so - not all did. That was 10 times during the year, again each time with a different dr.
The quality and value of these experiences varied greatly depending on what office you were in.

Do you guys have OPEP/CODA at LECOM-Bradenton?

At NSU-COM we have it, too. You can actually pick on of two tracks. You can do the regular preceptorship, where you will be assigned to a "mentor" and you'll go to his/her office every other week. Or you can pick the Com2Serve track (what I chose), if you are selected to participate in this one, you will be assigned to a different office every time. But you get to experience medicine in underserved areas, and how health care is delivered to immigrants and uninsured patients. You also get to see a lot of cool stuff, for example, two weeks ago, I went to an STD clinic...and saw more than I was prepared for! :) But it was a great experience, I learned a lot, and the doctor in the clinic (after I told her I wanted to be an OB/GYN) let me do a lot of stuff around the clinic.

Karina
NSU-COM Class of 2009

The Engineer said:
KCOM has a "complete DOctor" course and part of that is making house calls to elderly patients. We also do a 2-week preceptorship in the summer between our 1st and 2nd years.

To add onto what The Engineer already provided, we also (as part of our Complete DOctor course) conduct school physicals in nearby communities (1st years observe, 2nd years examine) and observations at local nursing homes, hospice and public health agencies.

We also have the oppurtunity to shadow our OMT professors in the clinic as well as in the hospital. And as members of various orginizations you will have the oppurtunity to observe (help out) in other specialties (ER club has an agreement with Adair Ambulance Service allowing ride alongs to club members) as well.

As for the preceptorship, it is in a rural MO clinic for 2 weeks during which room and board is provided and we still get 5 weeks for summer break. The house calls involve meeting with local seniors in groups of 4 MS1's at the pt's residence over three quaters performing various aspects of pt's physical exam and preventative health screenings.

Also KCOM has medical missions availabe to South Africa and other areas orginized by a few campus orginizations.

Only an MS1 so not too sure on what clinical opps the MS2's have. Maybe a few who patrol these boards can offer insight.

PCOM has 6 standardized patient sessions per year, shadowing of 4th year student during 1st year, DRE second year, Gyn exam 2nd year, hospital h&P 2nd year, and an optional 80 hour FM shadowing program that pays $500.

UMDNJ-SOM has preceptorship with required hours each semester (basically once a month visit done at leisure first year, more scheduled second year to conduct H&Ps on REAL pts as we are learning the techniques in physical diagnosis).

-J

(nicedream) said:
I don't know what that is.

These are the clinical LECOM courses that start the second semester of first year.

OPEP = Osteopathic Principles & Examination Practice ? (I think)

CODA = Clinical Osteopathic Diagnositic Applications

So in first and second years you learn how to do pelvics, optho exam, genital exam, standardized patients, laboratory, EKG, social work in hosptial, ICU, how to start IV's etc. Plus we have a preceptor we go to at the office and see patients.

It's clinical practice so once you hit rotations you are comfortable and know the lingo and how to do the paperwork.

cabinbuilder said:
These are the clinical LECOM courses that start the second semester of first year.

OPEP = Osteopathic Principles & Examination Practice ? (I think)

CODA = Clinical Osteopathic Diagnositic Applications

So in first and second years you learn how to do pelvics, optho exam, genital exam, standardized patients, laboratory, EKG, social work in hosptial, ICU, how to start IV's etc. Plus we have a preceptor we go to at the office and see patients.

It's clinical practice so once you hit rotations you are comfortable and know the lingo and how to do the paperwork.

We learned all phys exams other than genital - on each other and on SPs. We didn't have a class on labs etc, but do that stuff in PBL throughout the first 2 yrs. No IV stuff.

(nicedream) said:
We learned all phys exams other than genital - on each other and on SPs. We didn't have a class on labs etc, but do that stuff in PBL throughout the first 2 yrs. No IV stuff.

Our class did all of that on each other including the IV's. We even did genital/rectal/pelvic exams on live patient models.