Which Physics class would prepare the best for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emilyemilyemily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the Pre-Med program at my university, and I have the option of taking one of the two physics classes. Both meet the requirement for the pre-med program.

Physics for Life Science 1:
First of a two-semester algebra-based and problem-oriented introductory physics sequence. Topics normally covered are drawn from Newtonian mechanics in two dimensions and include velocity and acceleration, Newton’s laws and energy for linear and rotational motion, simple harmonic motion and fluids. Time permitting, heat and thermodynamics may be included. A good base of high-school algebra and trigonometry is assumed, and completion of homework and lab are requirements for a passing grade. Meets requirements of the Pre-Medical Professions program. Does not meet requirements of physics or engineering programs.

General Analytical Physics 1:
First of a two-semester calculus-based and problem-oriented introductory physics sequence. A good algebra and trigonometry background is presumed and methods of using calculus are presented. The approach is strongly quantitative and emphasizes the solving of problems. Topics normally covered are drawn from Newtonian mechanics in two dimensions and include velocity and acceleration, Newton's laws and energy for linear and rotational motion, simple harmonic motion and fluids. Time permitting, heat and thermodynamics may be included. Meets requirements of physics, engineering, chemistry, mathematics, forensic science and the Pre-Medical Professions Program.

Members don't see this ad.

Does not matter. What will prepare you for the mcat is not so much the university class, but your mcat specific study. So take what ever you think you can get an A in easier and plan to study atleast 2 months for the mcat.

I second slice of bread. When I took the MCAT, I really felt like most of the classes I took didn't prepare my specifically for it. They gave me a decent knowledge base, but I really had to learn certain things in other ways and learn to apply almost all the conecpts differently. That's why you see kids with phenomenal GPAs get blown away by the MCAT. It's just such a specific thing.

Take the easier one (sounds like the first one, but who knows) so you can guarantee that A.

If you've already aced Calculus I & II and the courses left you wanting to see more, then choice two is your best bet. Otherwise, go with the first choice.