Which Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if we have to take the General Physics or Calculus based Physics. Can anybody help me with this one please:)? I tried looking at the college websites, but they do not specify nothing the number of credit hours. Some help please.........

Members don't see this ad.

2 Semesters of general physics 1 and 2 with lab (for science majors) will suffice.

Comet208 said:
2 Semesters of general physics 1 and 2 with lab (for science majors) will suffice.

Thanks a lot... I am an Engineering major, will that be okay for me too?....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure. But I believe at my university engineering majors have to take calculus based physics as part of their major. If it isn't part of your major then you might as well take algebra based as I am sure it is tons easier.

LMav said:
Thanks a lot... I am an Engineering major, will that be okay for me too?....
If your university doesn't require calculus-based for an engineering major...get a different major. Really. An engineering program without calc-based would be laughed at by every student of the Tijuana Mail Order School as being "inferior." Not to mention ADCOMS who frequently get engineering applicants.

That was one of the easier engineering classes I took. Just wait for differential equations...I dropped that class in a week and changed my major to chemistry. At least all of my physics and calc was out of the way.

Algebra-based physics is all that is needed for application here in AZ. And it is way easier than calc-based. Just a thought. Good luck with the process.

I am an international student and so I was not aware that Physics should be calculus based for engineering students. We had tons of physics too but the Dental schools are asking for all the pre-requisites from the US. So I will have to retake it here :(. So I was just thinking if the ADCOMS dont mind me having General Physics on my transcript then it would be a lot easier for me. Thanks a lot everybody for your input.:)

LMav said:
I am an international student and so I was not aware that Physics should be calculus based for engineering students. We had tons of physics too but the Dental schools are asking for all the pre-requisites from the US. So I will have to retake it here :(. So I was just thinking if the ADCOMS dont mind me having General Physics on my transcript then it would be a lot easier for me. Thanks a lot everybody for your input.:)
If your engineering program only required algebra based then the ADCOMS won't care, but I have never heard of an engineering program that didn't requre calc-based. I think your situation is unique. I was referring to applicants who are currently starting an engineering program since physics is usually a 1st year class for engineering majors in the US. My comment was really more about the quality of engineering program and less about the actual d-school app.

In your case, take the algebra based.
Best of luck.

It wont matter which physics you choose because in the end, everyone gets a C

dexadental said:
It wont matter which physics you choose because in the end, everyone gets a C
Freaking bell curves!