Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Which prep book has the best genetics material?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ocwaveoc, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ocwaveoc

ocwaveoc Banned Banned

Jan 15, 2007
    Aside from the Bio text, of some of the popular companies (Kaplan, EK etc) which company has the best presentation of genetics?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. swifteagle43

swifteagle43 Lover- not a fighter 10+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Most people would agree: Examkrackers.

Remember:
    BEST MATERIALS: Examkrackers
    BEST TEST QUESTIONS: Kaplan

4. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Actually, I would disagree with that statement that Examkrackers has the best genetics material. In fact, they are pretty skimpy on genetics material as many others on this forum who have taken the MCAT have complained about.

5. Funky

Funky This space is for sale 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2006
    NY
    ask genetics :D

6. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Genetics won't return my calls. lol

7. spreebee

spreebee Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2006
  8. ocwaveoc

ocwaveoc Banned Banned

Jan 15, 2007
    That book is a thick textbook, I believe. Since the genetics material on the MCAT isn't comprehensive as text books on the material is likely to be, I'm looking for a shorter book that has good analogies, demonstrations, visualization tools and overall clarity in the material.
    Anyone??

9. estairella

estairella Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 7, 2006
    Genetics is the type of thing where you master it from doing problems, not really from studying it.

At least that's what I'm hoping, since I've been skipping about 75% of my genetics class this term... :laugh:

Edit: Just to be more useful, you'll find the MCAT asks very little in terms of genetics.. can you do some crosses, can you figure out a pedigree, do you know what promoters and transcription factors do, can you read a codon table, etc.

10. poly800rock

poly800rock Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2006
    it's a bit more from the august one. not to say that it was really hard, but frequencies and map units as well.

11. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I find Kaplan's prep material more than adequate.

Now, in terms of additional prep material, I am going to (somewhat embarrassingly:oops: ) recommend a book that served as a great crash course for me before walking into my biophysics lab for the first time three months ago...

The book is called Molecular Biology made Fun and Simple, by David P. Clark and Lonnie Dee Russell. After reading this book, I was knocking out MCAT practice questions with no problem, and I also had a pretty respectable theoretical foundation for much of the research work I do now.

The humor in the book is EXTREMELY cheesy... but it helps get the points across nicely, I think.

The book is thick (~300 or 400 pages I think; I don't remember), but it's really a fast read; you could knock it out in a week or less if you were dedicated, and it only really gets a little complex when they consider eukaryotic genetic regulation and protein modification; even then, any undergrad science student should find this book pretty much accomplishes what the title purports for it to accomplish.

12. ILPsychDoc

ILPsychDoc 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    As mentioned previously, MCAT only tests basic genetics, the best place is your bio 101 text book, just do the practice questions, a couple pedigrees, crosses, and know your definitions... you dont want to get too complicated because you will just confuse yourself...