Which prep book has the best genetics material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the Bio text, of some of the popular companies (Kaplan, EK etc) which company has the best presentation of genetics?

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from the Bio text, of some of the popular companies (Kaplan, EK etc) which company has the best presentation of genetics?

Most people would agree: Examkrackers.

Remember:
BEST MATERIALS: Examkrackers
BEST TEST QUESTIONS: Kaplan

Actually, I would disagree with that statement that Examkrackers has the best genetics material. In fact, they are pretty skimpy on genetics material as many others on this forum who have taken the MCAT have complained about.

Members don't see this ad :)
strachan_cover.jpg

That book is a thick textbook, I believe. Since the genetics material on the MCAT isn't comprehensive as text books on the material is likely to be, I'm looking for a shorter book that has good analogies, demonstrations, visualization tools and overall clarity in the material.
Anyone??

That book is a thick textbook, I believe. Since the genetics material on the MCAT isn't comprehensive as text books on the material is likely to be, I'm looking for a shorter book that has good analogies, demonstrations, visualization tools and overall clarity in the material.
Anyone??

Genetics is the type of thing where you master it from doing problems, not really from studying it.

At least that's what I'm hoping, since I've been skipping about 75% of my genetics class this term... :laugh:

Edit: Just to be more useful, you'll find the MCAT asks very little in terms of genetics.. can you do some crosses, can you figure out a pedigree, do you know what promoters and transcription factors do, can you read a codon table, etc.

Genetics is the type of thing where you master it from doing problems, not really from studying it.

At least that's what I'm hoping, since I've been skipping about 75% of my genetics class this term... :laugh:

Edit: Just to be more useful, you'll find the MCAT asks very little in terms of genetics.. can you do some crosses, can you figure out a pedigree, do you know what promoters and transcription factors do, can you read a codon table, etc.

it's a bit more from the august one. not to say that it was really hard, but frequencies and map units as well.

I find Kaplan's prep material more than adequate.

Now, in terms of additional prep material, I am going to (somewhat embarrassingly:oops: ) recommend a book that served as a great crash course for me before walking into my biophysics lab for the first time three months ago...

The book is called Molecular Biology made Fun and Simple, by David P. Clark and Lonnie Dee Russell. After reading this book, I was knocking out MCAT practice questions with no problem, and I also had a pretty respectable theoretical foundation for much of the research work I do now.

The humor in the book is EXTREMELY cheesy... but it helps get the points across nicely, I think.

The book is thick (~300 or 400 pages I think; I don't remember), but it's really a fast read; you could knock it out in a week or less if you were dedicated, and it only really gets a little complex when they consider eukaryotic genetic regulation and protein modification; even then, any undergrad science student should find this book pretty much accomplishes what the title purports for it to accomplish.

As mentioned previously, MCAT only tests basic genetics, the best place is your bio 101 text book, just do the practice questions, a couple pedigrees, crosses, and know your definitions... you dont want to get too complicated because you will just confuse yourself...