Which prof to write non-science LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which professor?

• Prof 1

• Prof 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

OfMiceAndWomen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between two professors to fulfill the non-science faculty LOR, and I would really like outsider's perspective.
My general question is, for non-science LOR, are adcoms looking more for character/community engagement reference or academic/intellectual potential reference?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m not an adcom, but for your non-science letter I would go with the professor who knows you more as a person.

IMO your MCAT & GPA (and to a lesser extent your science LORs, if they speak to your aptitude relative to your peers) already reflect your academic capability. I think you can use your non-science letter to demonstrate that you’re a human being.

Reactions: 1 users
Does your school have a premed committee? Why not get both and see which is better? Keep both on file just in case

Members don't see this ad :)
Professor 1, no doubt. A letter from someone that knows you especially well, speaks far louder than any LoR you'd receive. You even said this professor and her course had a big connection to an aspect of your application lol.

Professor 2 is okay, but it sounds you might just get their cookie-cutter LoR template instead of a personalized LoR.

I’m not an adcom, but for your non-science letter I would go with the professor who knows you more as a person.

IMO your MCAT & GPA (and to a lesser extent your science LORs, if they speak to your aptitude relative to your peers) already reflect your academic capability. I think you can use your non-science letter to demonstrate that you’re a human being.
This.
/thread.

Reactions: 1 users