Which programs can I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

med----2018

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Since applications are opening up soon, I was wondering what types of programs I would be competitive for. Coming from a non-academic program, its hard to know what I should/should not apply to. I'm trying to stay in the SE, but am very open to location. My scores are: step 1 230, step 2 235, 2 honors (not in surgery or internal), with some publications.

Thank you!
 
I'm applying to gen surg as well so I feel like I can provide some insight.

I would apply to 50-60 programs (possibly even more). Distribute between reach, middle, and safety programs. I would skew a little bit towards applying to more middle and safety schools just to be safe. But it looks like you have some publications so you still may have a solid chance at some academic programs.

Try to take as many interviews as you can and I'm sure you'll do great.