which programs want how many LoRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there good place where I can find all the specific requirements for each programs such as how many LoRs they want, if it's okay to have an extra letter, etc. I don't want this whole "he can't follow direction" BS because I sent in 4 instead of 3 letters...

Members don't see this ad.

matcharesident dot com

but you have to pay before you get all the info

Though it may sound cumbersome but going to each Program website and looking for Application Information section on Residency webpage would be most accurate and relatively easy way. And if you can't find this info on Program's website, just send four letters then.

I just assumed that on ERAS when it says "select up to 4" on the program page that this means the max is 4 LORs. Is this not correct?

I just assumed that on ERAS when it says "select up to 4" on the program page that this means the max is 4 LORs. Is this not correct?

Some programs only require two, most require three and rare ones require four letters.

no. most of the programs i am looking at say 3 so its not up to 4 even if eras generically says that. a couple said min of 3 or 3-4 for me when i checked their websites. some even stated that they wanted the letters from clinicians only or clinicians in my intended specialty (one of my letters is from a leadership position that i held for a well known organization and is not from a clinician).

so its better to look at the program website to see if they have specific instructions. yeah, its a pain but u're looking at the websites to decide which programs u want to apply to, right?

also on freida, if u click on the school and they put in the info that u see various tabs - click on "general information" under the school and one of the categories listed is "required LORs" and the number should be listed there.

worse comes to worse, u can email the school. i've heard that some programs don't like it (when i was on rotation at a very competitive school) if they ask for 3 and u send 4 b/c it looks like u either can't read directions or didn't take the time to do so, esp when they really don't want to read another letter and may choose to randomly throw one of yours out (and it might've been the best one so if u send how many they ask for, u can choose the LORs u think will be the best).

Max limit is 4.

I also think that most programs require 3 and will have enough time only to read 3.

no. most of the programs i am looking at say 3 so its not up to 4 even if eras generically says that. a couple said min of 3 or 3-4 for me when i checked their websites. some even stated that they wanted the letters from clinicians only or clinicians in my intended specialty (one of my letters is from a leadership position that i held for a well known organization and is not from a clinician).

so its better to look at the program website to see if they have specific instructions. yeah, its a pain but u're looking at the websites to decide which programs u want to apply to, right?

also on freida, if u click on the school and they put in the info that u see various tabs - click on "general information" under the school and one of the categories listed is "required LORs" and the number should be listed there.

worse comes to worse, u can email the school. i've heard that some programs don't like it (when i was on rotation at a very competitive school) if they ask for 3 and u send 4 b/c it looks like u either can't read directions or didn't take the time to do so, esp when they really don't want to read another letter and may choose to randomly throw one of yours out (and it might've been the best one so if u send how many they ask for, u can choose the LORs u think will be the best).

So I've been looking through some of the websites for the programs I've applied to and it seems like the wording for most are "require _ letters of recommendation" or "require a minimum of _ letters of recommendation" with the blank usually being either 2 or 3. I haven't come across any with an explicit max. So would 4 be alright?

I've only designated 2 to each of my programs so far because that's all I have in right now and am waiting on 2 others that I would like to add.

So I've been looking through some of the websites for the programs I've applied to and it seems like the wording for most are "require _ letters of recommendation" or "require a minimum of _ letters of recommendation" with the blank usually being either 2 or 3. I haven't come across any with an explicit max. So would 4 be alright?

I've only designated 2 to each of my programs so far because that's all I have in right now and am waiting on 2 others that I would like to add.

i guess its up to u to decide how impt that "extra" letter really is for u and what it may or may not do (neg or pos for u). i've only heard of an example where someone rotated at the hospital and got a glowing rec after they submitted the required LORs (and asked if they could send this other one in), where someone went over the explicit limit and had it not hurt them, though i'm sure ppl do (and it might turn out ok).

for me, for the ones that say "require X", i'm only going to send them X LORs. that extra LOR prob would annoy them more that they wouldn't read it b/c i didn't follow directions than help me and if everyone else gets by with X then so should i. if they say "min 3" then i'm sending my extra one b/c it doesn't explicitly say no to 4.

i guess its up to u to decide how impt that "extra" letter really is for u and what it may or may not do (neg or pos for u). i've only heard of an example where someone rotated at the hospital and got a glowing rec after they submitted the required LORs (and asked if they could send this other one in), where someone went over the explicit limit and had it not hurt them, though i'm sure ppl do (and it might turn out ok).

for me, for the ones that say "require X", i'm only going to send them X LORs. that extra LOR prob would annoy them more that they wouldn't read it b/c i didn't follow directions than help me and if everyone else gets by with X then so should i. if they say "min 3" then i'm sending my extra one b/c it doesn't explicitly say no to 4.

Your grammar and spelling is hilarious. Is this a high school kid trying to punk us?

Best place to go is each programs website.

I sent 4 letters to all programs, even those that said 3 letters required. Since none said "maximum of 3" I figured it wouldn't matter.

I've heard the whole 'can't follow directions' argument but just doesn't hold water with me since none specified a maximum number of letters.

I got like interview offers from like 18 out of 23 of the programs I applied to - so couldn't have been that bad that I sent 4 to the ones that only asked for 3.

Yeah how anal retentive can programs get? Oh so we sent in an extra letter. BFD, don't print it if you don't want it.