Which Qbank to start in January for June test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdude21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking Step I on June 1... of course I'll be doing UWorld, but if I want to start a Qbank in early January, should it be that one or something like Kaplan or RX? I'm assuming I won't be able to do random question blocks, since we haven't covered several systems yet (GI, Micro, Heme...). How do people navigate this when starting Qbanks early on? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking my test in June as well. I want to go through UWorld twice so starting in January seems like a must for me. I also have Kaplan and USMLERx, and those I will use to go along with my courses.

Agreed. Seems like almost every guide or advice I've been given, it's that going through Uworldx2/with 1x min of FA will require you to start out about that time you posted. I plan on using Uworld for learning on how to think for the questions and doing rx/kaplan for content testing and GT for brute memorization.

I am not sure how am I supposed to finish all that material...

BTW I am selling my new Kaplan COMLEX/USMLE step 1 lecture books all 8 books in original box, let me know if anyone wants it. Just PM me with much you are welling to offer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to find an answer to the exact same question. So far, we have covered Skin, Musculoskeletal, CV, Respiratory, Renal, Heme/Onc and are halfway through GI. I was thinking about getting USMLERx and doing questions on only the systems and/or classes that we have covered so far. I wanted to devote ~1-2 hours every morning doing question blocks on what we've covered, since this will really help me get through FA (I've already read the system chapters 1x each, but I want to get through it ~5x total before my exam in June) since I have a tough time just sitting down and reading a chapter in FA without any questions to solidify my understanding. I wanted to get through USMLERx by March and then start UWorld and do that for two months until my exam. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've debated beginning UWorld now vs. USMLERx now and saving UWorld 'til later, but I'm just not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also considering Rx now and world later, for all the same reasons.

Does anyone know when or if Rx will switch over to 2012 FA citations? If that switch is significantly delayed that could really effect my choice.

Also considering Rx now and world later, for all the same reasons.

Does anyone know when or if Rx will switch over to 2012 FA citations? If that switch is significantly delayed that could really effect my choice.

Allow me to answer my own question, they said the process will begin next month and may take some time.

Maybe I'm all talk and will still use Rx, it'll be a pain though while using FA '12

Same exact question here: start UWorld now (a 6 mo subscription), or Rx for now and UWorld later (a 2/3 mo subscription)? And for that matter, Kaplan or Rx? :S

Are you guys doing questions related to your units in Path or randomly generating questions covering material you have done in MS1 and so far in MS2?

Random q's. I'm leaving out pharm for now though since we just started it last week

Cool... I want to do that, but my only concern is that I will miss many questions of the material I have not covered (MS1 embryo, anatomy, biochem for instance) in a long time.

I guess the whole point is to LEARN from them though! Trying to figure out how to get through UW over this semester, I guess at random (excluding upcoming path/pharm) is a good idea...

I'm also taking the test in June... My plan right now is to go through FA with classes, watch Pathoma lectures with classes (which surprisingly is working well so far bc I feel like I'm learning the concepts better), and go through as much Uworld as I can before dedicated study time, which starts late April (6 weeks). I want to go through Uworld by starting with the sections in First Aid I just reviewed, and then adding on blocks that I've just finished reviewing. For example, I just finished reviewing cardio block, and now I'm doing uworld questions over cardio. So it's an approach where the questions will get increasingly random as I've reviewed more blocks. I just don't see the point/don't have the time to do a bunch of questions over stuff I learned last year - it takes a lot longer to review the explanations in uworld when you haven't seen the material in a long time. I think I'd be better off reviewing the material before doing those questions.

Yeah I think I am going to follow a similar approach, UTlonghorn. Thanks for the input ! I think it makes the most sense at this point for me, to really see the styling of questions and the type of thinking required for Boards questions. Later I will start making them more random...

I'm using Kaplan Q-bank now and I'm liking it a lot. I never used Rx but I heard it's just good for getting familiar with FA. I'm using GT for memorizing FA so I thought Kaplan would be a good mix of things. I am taking my exam on late May and I have purchased 3 months subscription to UWorld. My question is that if I want to get through UWorld 2x, when should I switch over to UWorld? I was thinking about starting it during spring break but that will give me only 10 weeks for UWorld including 4 weeks of intensive period. Is that too short?