Which retail chains allow people to shadow pharmacists?

Started by PAtoPharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PAtoPharm

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in shadowing a retail pharmacist and was just wondering if any of you guys knew which retail chains were generally known for permitting it, probably for just a day or two. In my local area (southeast), the chains with locations here include CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Publix, Winn Dixie, etc., so I'm hoping that one of these is known for being somewhat "shadower friendly."

Thanks in advance!
 
You need to get some serious experience by working in a busy retail. Shadowing doesn't work. No one is going to invite a student when it is busy and chaotic.

Just go there when it is busy like around 4 pm. Maybe you will even get to hear the robotic man voice, "one call waiting". If that doesn't freak you out then yeah retail is for you.
 
i think it would be easier to get into an independent pharmacy. Most chains follow strict corporate policies ie: drug testing, background check, hippa certification before you set a foot in their facility. Consider taking PTCB exam and register as a pharm tech that will help open some doors for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in shadowing a retail pharmacist and was just wondering if any of you guys knew which retail chains were generally known for permitting it, probably for just a day or two. In my local area (southeast), the chains with locations here include CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Publix, Winn Dixie, etc., so I'm hoping that one of these is known for being somewhat "shadower friendly."

Thanks in advance!
I don't think any of the retail chains will let you behind the pharmacy counter. You might consider an outpatient pharmacy at a county hospital.
 
Come on over to Walgreens, you can shadow me. I'll show you how its done correctly.
 
I think that's the difference between medicine and pharmacy. As perspective PA or MD/DO student, you can learn by observing pt/healthcare professionals' interactions. In pharmacy, to understand the profession you have to: work and experience it for yourself. Why don't you just go to a local cvs and observe for now. At a chain, the pharmacist works under extenuating circumstances, in a factory like environments. The pharmacist will be with his head down staring at a computer screen while praying that the techs typed the Rx right bc there is no time check everything thouroughly. As he or she checks the rx, one is thinking about the metrics, how to get through the day without committing suicide; just as you are called to consult on a zpack, and try to explain why jublia is not covered by health net

What I am trying to say is: in retail, a pharmacist isn't paid to consult patients on their rx or recommend otc items. You are employed by a big corporation for your license and measured by how fast you can verify rx, and manage your staff. Most of the time patients don't need consultation on their rx.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. The only problem with getting a pharmacy tech job (for now) is that I'm currently enrolled as a student in another program, and since I haven't made a 100% sure-fire decision to pursue pharmacy, it's not feasible for me to work as a tech right now. Does anyone know anything about pharmacy the supermarket chain pharmacies? Or is finding an independent/outpatient pharmacy probably my only bet?

Thanks...