Which retail pharmacies help pay for school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moni526

Pharm D. Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working in a private compounding pharmacy for almost two years now, but my boss is not going to help me pay for school, so I want to find a job in retail. From personal experience, which pharmacies do you all work at that are going to help you pay for school and what are the stipulations of the deal? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have been working in a private compounding pharmacy for almost two years now, but my boss is not going to help me pay for school, so I want to find a job in retail. From personal experience, which pharmacies do you all work at that are going to help you pay for school and what are the stipulations of the deal? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

I'm so glad you asked this question. I've been meaning to post this on SDN and keep forgetting.

I know that Costco has a program where they pay about $5-10K a year during pharmacy school and after you graduate you have to work for them a certain number of hours based on how much they gave you. I think RiteAid and Walgreens may have a program like this too.

I've been looking into this but I'm a bit hesitant. Will the low ball my salary after I graduate??

I'm so glad you asked this question. I've been meaning to post this on SDN and keep forgetting.

I know that Costco has a program where they pay about $5-10K a year during pharmacy school and after you graduate you have to work for them a certain number of hours based on how much they gave you. I think RiteAid and Walgreens may have a program like this too.

Rite Aid does not have this program. CVS used to, but not anymore. Not sure about Walgreens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember that most of these programs are "indentured servant" type programs...you have to work for X number of years after graduation. That way limit your choices to pursue a residency,etc. I think it will be much tougher to consider another aspect career if you've been in retail for 2-3 years right after graduation.

I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't mind working in a retail chain for 3-5 years, as long as school is paid for and I won't be shafted on my salary. Is it just chain stores that offer this or do independents offer this deal as well?

Yeah. Unfortunately, since the pharmacist shortage has become much less severe, a lot of those tuition reimbursement programs are gone.

I know Walgreens offers 5-6K per year, not enough to cover everything but it's better than nothing. I heard that the amount does go up per year, not sure by how much though.

Wag; 1.5k for first two years, 5k for last two years.

You will need at least 1000 hours with them and will need to be recommended by a district manager. You will also need to commit 1 year per 1 year participicated into program otherwise, you can give back the money. Think of it as a no interest loan if you are not ending up in retail, just give the money back. No biggie.

The Military will give full ride for a range of 2-4 years WITH a monthly allowance between 2-3k; air force, navy, etc..Inquire about these programs via google search or seach via SDN..I believe these are also competitive and select the right applicants.