which review books should i get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keen2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw two FA textbook for basic science in the shop, one is "general principles" and the other one is " organs system" and both cover all the subjects of USMLE and the materials are arranged system by system.....I wonder if these 2 are the best for the exam, instead of buying review books of diff subjects separately which cost much more money and aren't integrated tog as a whole. Further more, these 2 books got many mnemonics in it which will help a lot in memorization.

who ever read through these 2 books and compared them to other review books, pls comment about it, tell which option is better. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Get the regular FA not organ systems. It is riddled with blatant errors but has a lot of potential in coming years when they fix the errors. Use FA, UWord qs, and RR or BRS path. Depends how much time you have and how well you want to do. If you do UW once and FA a couple times you will do well. Don't set yourself up for problems by getting too much with not enough time.

I agree ...

More I think about it, FA, RR Path, (and maybe HY CMB if you're weak in cell/molec bio) are enough ... plus a qbank of your choice ...

For the anatomy, I really do like Kap MedEssentials - but it's not as high yield (anatomy that is) so prolly not needed. I'm only using it b/c I have the COMLEX which emphasizes anatomy a little more.

thanks for the advise. I heard ppl say that some of the subjects in Kaplan note is not that good and there is a better one for it (eg. microbio--- made ridiculously simple ; biostat & behavioral science----->high yield etc)...what're ur opinions? any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Must have- FA, RR Path
Very good- RR phys, CMMRS, HY Neuro
If you have time- HY CMB 99, HY behav, RR biochem (Co-authored by Goljan)