Which rotation if any did you despise during 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which rotation, if any did you despise during 3rd year?

• Total voters

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those members of my class planning on going into emergency medicine, this question has also resulted in some interesting responses so I thought I would open it up to the forum as a whole and see if there is any consensus.

Members don't see this ad.

Not up there, but when I was a third year at UAMS they made us do a geriatrics month as part of the IM block. I hated that more than life itself. I don't mind the old folks--it's the geriatricians that got to me.

So far it seems that surgery has the lead. Interesting diversity though.

Of my classmates planning to enter EM, some have absolutely loved surgery and others hated it with a passion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had 3 rotations so far (IM, Surgery, Ob/Gyn) and I can't say that I honestly despised any of them...I had something to learn from each rotation, as each offered its own sets of challenges (whether it be concept-wise or interaction-wise)..

nonetheless, of the three, i disliked IM the most. although both surgery and ob/gyn were beasts (and this is ESPECIALLY true of ob/gyn, which I just finished today), I just found IM to be monotonous and predictably boring, with the same chronic diseases being presented to me, over, and over again..

I've yet to get through a few of the other rotations. Maybe I'll change my mind by June. Who knows?!

You should have a "I loved all of them" option. i didn't like IM 200 but my Sub-I was great, so....

Ob/Gyn but not because I didn't like the specialty. Rather because I didn't get to do anything. I ahd to jsut shadow the whole time. Ended up getting honors due to my stupid grin and ability to lie that "I am learning so much!!!" There was also the fact that the residents aren't the happiest.

I enjoy Ob and Gyn in the department.

yeah, why isn't neuro up there?

Ob/gyn was worse though...

It was like there was an evil switch in those chicks and you never knew what could flip it.

I hated psych with a passion. The only excitement I had was getting to do all of the ECT at our hospital and when a patient went code white on me.

I enjoyed surgery because my residents let me assist on everything they did, but I didn't like the continuous rounding and clinics.

Family med was a vacation because I did it during college football season and had all weekends off.

IM is good for learning the grunt work. My attending is busting my *** and keeps telling me I need to work, do HP's/notes like a med student and less like a resident, even though most of my learning comes from the residents.

I hated family medicine, because I had to wear a tie and try to convince non-compliant patients to take there meds and check their sugars.

I hated OB, because I had to be there at 5 something in the morning.

I hated Internal Medicine, because all I did was round all day every day. I never actually did anything else other than write notes.

I didn't mind surgery, because there were no residents and I was first assist on everything.

5 am for OB! Try having to BE THERE at 3 a.m. for gyn onc (rounded like 5 times before 8 a.m.) and 4 a.m. for post partum rounds. Painful. Useless. One day on gyn onc, we were rounding around 8 and I asked the patient why there were getting breakfast food for lunch. The thing was it was BF for them, but I'd been there for 5 hours already and thought it was lunchtime. That's when I realized that any specialty where I had to be in that early was NOT for me.

5 am for OB! Try having to BE THERE at 3 a.m. for gyn onc (rounded like 5 times before 8 a.m.) and 4 a.m. for post partum rounds. Painful. Useless. One day on gyn onc, we were rounding around 8 and I asked the patient why there were getting breakfast food for lunch. The thing was it was BF for them, but I'd been there for 5 hours already and thought it was lunchtime. That's when I realized that any specialty where I had to be in that early was NOT for me.

That would be a good reason to transfer schools.

OB GYN because all of the residents were toxic hateful b!tches.

They loved each other and hated the students except to deride them. Seemed to try and trip you up whenever possible and make your life hell! A horror show if ever there was one.:scared: