which rxn will proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

One of Kaplan subject exam questions say the 2nd reaction (b) will not proceed. How come? I though it is a single displacment rxn. Can anyone explain this? Thanks!

A. 2 Li + CuCl2 → 2 LiCl + Cu
B. Zn + NaNO3 → no reaction
C. CaCO3 + 2 HCl → CaCl2 + H2CO3 → CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O
D. 2 K + 2 H2O → 2 KOH + H2
E. H+ + OH- → H2O

Members don't see this ad.

I cant remember the reaction series top of my head right now, but check into ur Gchem text book it has a table tells u which one are more reactive than the other.

For this particular question, Na is more reactive than Zn, so this rxn doesnt occur.

A. 2 Li + CuCl2 → 2 LiCl + Cu
B. Zn + NaNO3 → no reaction
C. CaCO3 + 2 HCl → CaCl2 + H2CO3 → CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O
D. 2 K + 2 H2O → 2 KOH + H2
E. H+ + OH- → H2O

heh so my sister explained it to me like this cuz she just finished highschool chem so its fresh in her head and shes cute.

NANO3 are dancing together...and Zn wants to cut in. but Na has a higher priority than Zn, so Zn cannot cut in and NaNO3 keeps dancing the night away.

Li is the highest on the activity series so it can cut in on CuCl2

Ca wants to cut in on HCL and Ca is higher on the activity series so it can cut in

K is second highest on the activity series so it will cut in on H again

i like to remember that H is somewhere kinda in the middle of the series.

okay well hope that helps if it is at all correct in real chem terms.

so ya you just gotta look at the activity series.

k, that makes sense. I notice kaplan doesn't show any metal activity trend. I don't have my chem text now. I am just relying on internet and kaplan book.
I found a activity trend table at http://www.unr.edu/sb204/geology/mas.html.

but is there actually a trend that I help me memorize the activity series? Thanks! :)