Which school has a better name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calflowergirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Could someone please tell me which school has a better reputation and is more competitive:

Albany Med or University of Vermont or Penn State or Chicago Med or Drexel/MCP Hanneman.

I've tried to look into their residency match but there isn't much difference overall.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone please tell me which school has a better reputation and is more competitive:

Albany Med or University of Vermont or Penn State or Chicago Med or Drexel/MCP Hanneman.

I've tried to look into their residency match but there isn't much difference overall.

A)Albany Med
B)UVM
C)Chicago Med
D)Drexel Med
E) None of the above [X]

Hope that Helps.

P 'When in doubt, pick E' ShankOut

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to decide about some of the schools you mentioned. I am from NY so I would prefer to stay near NY making either NYMC or Drexel my top choice. But UVM is a cool school although very costly. I actually think Penn state has the best name of those 5 you mentioned.

Absolutely no significant difference whatsoever. If I had to pick, I'd put albany #1 and chicago #4, but the difference is probably negligible. Once you get past the top 25, it really doesn't matter if you're talking about allopathic schools.

I too would say vermont, or penn st.

Originally posted by meanderson
Absolutely no significant difference whatsoever. If I had to pick, I'd put albany #1 and chicago #4, but the difference is probably negligible. Once you get past the top 25, it really doesn't matter if you're talking about allopathic schools.

I think this B.S. about schools being the same once you are past the top25 has been perpetuated for too long. How many ppl here would actually attend NYMC over URochester just to be in NYC? No One!!!! It still matters after the top25.

As for the schools mentioned, they are about the same in reputation but I give the edge to UVM.

I'd choose UVM over Albany for sure. . .I heard from my interviewer at Albany that the future of the school in the next 2o years or less might be questionnable.

Originally posted by pekq
I think this B.S. about schools being the same once you are past the top25 has been perpetuated for too long. How many ppl here would actually attend NYMC over URochester just to be in NYC? No One!!!! It still matters after the top25.

1) You picked an extreme example. A school just outside the top 25 versus a school that is generally considered a "safety" private.

2) Even so, how different are the NYMC and Rochester match lists? Yeah, Rochester's is a little better, but the difference is not nearly as large as the difference between say....Rochester and Columbia.

I can think of many reasons why someone would choose NYMC over Rochester...Not everyone lives and dies by the bogus US News rankings. All medical schools teach the same stuff and location should be a primary deciding factor. If I had to choose between Rochester or NYMC, I can honestly say I would probably choose NYMC, because of its proximity to Manhattan and the fact I really can't see myself digging living in Rochester. I don't think I'd be the only one to feel this way. Don't assume that everyone makes decisions based on rankings.

Thanks yall!

It seems that Albany or UVM are making the top picks. Actually, NYMC gets great board scores and the school's ranking are a lot better than what people think.