which school has a better reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentista

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. University of the Pacific
2. University at Buffalo (SUNY)

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter and who knows. There are no official rankings because dental schools stoped ranking back in 1994. Dental school is dental school. They all suck and are hard but at the end of the day we are all dentists and in major debt.

you will soon come to the realization that reputation is very minor. i'd consider other factors in deciding which school to go to.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Which ever one will graduate you as a fully licensed DMD/DDS with less debt.

No patient will ever care which school you go to. I'd go with UOP because you'll be out a year earlier and earning money to pay off your debt a year earlier. If you plan to practice in New York, then you have do do residency a year so you'll be 2 years behind UOP.

I would do it in the same state you want to practice. If neither, it does not matter. (And it really doesn't matter that much anyway.)

Decide based on cost of education. Buf is one of the least expensive state schools in the country. Quality education at a great price. UOP is one of the most expensive schools in the country but in a great city. Given the price of Buf I dont see how the extra year of practice due to UOP's 3 year curr would allow you to break even.

Students are generally happy at Pacific so that's where you want to be. Plus, I believe it's a three year program....saves you $$$.

I've heard Buffalo is cutthroat.

Check out the archives carefully.

1. University of the Pacific
2. University at Buffalo (SUNY)

Students are generally happy at Pacific so that's where you want to be. Plus, I believe it's a three year program....saves you $$$.

i don't know much about Buffalo but they were not nice at the interview

:lol: Typical New Yorkers

. . . or. . . underpaid and overworked faculty. . .

Which archives are you referring to? The threads I see seem to indicate otherwise about Buffalo. I don't know that Pacific students are any happier than Buffalo students (maybe aside from the weather situation).

UOP had very happy students in a great part of town. I have heard a few unfavorable rumors of Buffalo, but who doesn't have a few bad things to say about their own d-school. I am certain that the weather will be better in SF though. Brrrrrrrrruffalo.

Don't forget cost of living in each city. For me, this was a way bigger number than tuition. I do have 3 going on 4 kids though.