Which school is best for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flynt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I'm not exactly new to sdn but this is my first post. Firstly I'd like to thank everyone on sdn for all the wonderful post that got me through my DAT (took it on 8/28). Special S/O to Ari from bootcamp (swear he's the man) and Orgoman, their materials are both awesome for anyone shooting for a 21+. I went from praying I'd get into dental school to it being a really great chance...23 TS and 23 AA!!!

Anyway the reason for me posting is that I'm trying to figure out which school would be best for me (hoping that I get into any). So I'm from North Carolina and I'm aiming for University of North Carolina, East Carolina University (my alma mater), or Howard University (yes I'm black lol). I don't want to go too far but ofcourse I'm going to apply far and wide. Now I "prestige" wise UNC is probably the best of the 3, and I know ECU is Apple sponsored and has really great technology. I've just lived in the country all of my life and would like a change of scenery so I was thinking Howard too (I think I'd enjoy Washington D.C. I just want to know would going to either of these schools affect my ability to get a job or maybe a chance at a residency in the future if I do well enough at either school.

Now all of this is hypothetical I know, but just saying if I was to be accepted at all 3, advice please?!?
P.S: All advice is good advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Stay instate. UNC or ECU would be better. Prepare yourself financially for your future, then you can live wherever you like.

Reactions: 2 users
UNC is the best program. Especially when taking their in-state tuition into account (I believe it's around 35k or something like that) it's the best choice if you want a world class education. ECU should be your definite second choice - save the money! ;) And then if all else fails, Howard... Or anywhere else you get accepted with reasonable price.

If I were you, UNC would be at the very top of my list and I would really prepare for the application for that school especially.

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys, so I'm not exactly new to sdn but this is my first post. Firstly I'd like to thank everyone on sdn for all the wonderful post that got me through my DAT (took it on 8/28). Special S/O to Ari from bootcamp (swear he's the man) and Orgoman, their materials are both awesome for anyone shooting for a 21+. I went from praying I'd get into dental school to it being a really great chance...23 TS and 23 AA!!!

Anyway the reason for me posting is that I'm trying to figure out which school would be best for me (hoping that I get into any). So I'm from North Carolina and I'm aiming for University of North Carolina, East Carolina University (my alma mater), or Howard University (yes I'm black lol). I don't want to go too far but ofcourse I'm going to apply far and wide. Now I "prestige" wise UNC is probably the best of the 3, and I know ECU is Apple sponsored and has really great technology. I've just lived in the country all of my life and would like a change of scenery so I was thinking Howard too (I think I'd enjoy Washington D.C. I just want to know would going to either of these schools affect my ability to get a job or maybe a chance at a residency in the future if I do well enough at either school.

Now all of this is hypothetical I know, but just saying if I was to be accepted at all 3, advice please?!?
P.S: All advice is good advice!!

I spent a week externing at UNC and it was one of my most favorite dental schools. I would highly recommend you to make that your number one choice. Given your DAT scores and other factors, I believe you have a very high likely hood of matriculating.

Reactions: 1 user
UNC > ECU > anywhere else

Cost is #1

I like to remind ppl that you're not really out exploring this new place when you're in dental school, the inside of a library looks the same whether you're in Greenville or Honolulu.

Reactions: 4 users
UNC > ECU > anywhere else

Cost is #1

I like to remind ppl that you're not really out exploring this new place when you're in dental school, the inside of a library looks the same whether you're in Greenville or Honolulu.
The view from Honolulu libraries are pretty nice, not gonna lie

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I'm just going to have to do alot of thinking and weigh what's most important (ie specializing, cost etc). But I think I'd just like to do general and maybe own my own one day. I'll probably try and tour each one as well as the surrounding area, talk to the students and get the most information I can before choosing (still all hypothetical). I really just want to become a dentist and enjoy myself as much as possible while doing it. Thanks all you guys I really appreciate it, anymore comments/advice about anything are all welcome! I'm just now about to submit my application to aadsas.