Which school??? KCOM vs. the rest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d3142

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the schools I have been accepted to, I really am very interested in attending either KCOM, PCOM, or Touro. I felt particularly at home at all of these schools during the interview and found unique charecteristics of each very appealing. I don't no which one to attend.
I hate to admit it, but now that I have narrowed it down, I think I am going to weigh heavily the school with the best reputation in the eyes of other clinicians. Does anyone know of (or can construct) a ranking of schools?
So far I am leaning towards KCOM, as I would like to experience small town America for a couple years. But, I have some concerns about doing sattelite rotations.
Yes, I know it is foolish --but, if anyone could please rank the schools it would be very interesting to consider your input.

Thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

I think when it comes to reputation, KCOM has one of the best. Last fall one of the KCOM alumni came and spoke to a group of students and stressed that we will be amazed when we leave KCOM as to how we will be looked upon. He said KCOM graduates are "gold" and very highly recruited in what ever field they choose to attend.

As for the satelite rotations, while they are in different regions, they are all based around an academic training center so no matter where you go there will be a "school" set up with a dean and faculty to assist you. For the most part KCOM students do not have to mess with ligning up all of their rotations that is all taken care of by the regional staff until you get to electives.

I want to add though that I am only I first year and so I am not speaking from experience. A great place to get information is on a web site run by a 3rd year at KCOM www.kcomstudents.org there are several students there who can help you with your questions.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Where do you eventually want to practice? The East Coast or the Midwest?

If it's the Midwest, then your safe bet would probably be with KCOM since it's the King of Osteopathic Schools out there.

My opinion is that over on the East Coast, NYCOM is King and PCOM is the Queen.
wink.gif
Just kidding. I think both NYCOM and PCOM have excellent reputations with clinical faculty on the East Coast.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good God, why would you want to live in
Kirksville for 2 years? Try MSU or CCOM or OU...they have the best clinical affiliations by far!!

Its all about the FREEEEDDDDOOOMMMMMM baby!

Kirksville isn't that bad. It takes a little to get used to but honestly who has the time to notice. It is a nice town with a great school. KCOM also has good rotation sites these sites are now in Ohio, Michigan, New York, Texas, Georgia, Colorado, Arizona, Missouri and Utah. I am probably missing some.

Why does KCOM seem to have such a bad name on this board as far as rotations go? Please share, maybe I am missing something.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

So you are telling me you don't do anything for fun so therefore you don't notice if kirksville has any kind of nightlife? Please, one does not live on pharmacology alone...travel to Columbia or something and enjoy the weekend. And I never said KCOM had bad rotations, only that I really would prefer to live in chicago if given the choice...that is what I meant. Sorry, didn't mean to shoot you with my Freedom blaster.

Carrie,

I think the original always has some kind of edge, but why after more than 100 years in the business haven't they established a more central network of rotations for students? Why must KCOM third and fourth year students live out of their suitcases while learning medicine?

Tim of New York City.

I have accepted a position at KCOM for the entering class. I thought that one of their strengths was their rotations. Granted, Kirksville is not a large enough location to support the training of 150 physicians through their clinical rotations. The staff, I think, realizes this and tries to coordinate quality rotations all over the country.

There are many choices depending on a student's particular interests. One can choose the larger university hospital settings such as in Michigan or Arizona or they can get more hands on experience in mid-size towns with community hospitals and clinics. In addition, the list of rotation sites is continually increasing.

I felt that KCOM's curriculum and rotation schedule was superior to the one other DO school I turned down and equivalent to the two MD schools I interviewed with.

[This message has been edited by snickers (edited 03-07-2000).]

Freedom,
I did not take your comments as a shoot in the foot. I was just commenting on the fact that I often see good things about other school's rotations but never hear anything about KCOM's rotations on this board. I was just putting our a feeler to see if anyone out there had heard anything about KCOM rotations that maybe I hadn't heard.

I also didn't mean to say that I don't do anything for fun. I just mean that I am busy enough that I don't miss living in a city with an opera or major plays etc. Although I sure do wish I lived in a town with some professional sports.

Turtleboard,
I don't think KCOM students live our of their suitcases during the third and 4th years. For the most part students do move between their third and 4th year but they are not required to move after that unless they choose to do their 4th year in a different site than their 3rd year.

Snickers,
Congratualtions on choosing KCOM. I think you will be very happy here.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

If I were you, I wouldn't take it! I would just use my freedom blaster and T.K. the professor. And then, I'll enjoy a refreshing Freedom Juice and a Rod of my man!

FreeDDDOMMMMMMmmm!

Does anyone happen to know what rotation sites in Arizona Kirksville has? I am disappointed with the UHS Arizona rotation sites and am curious what Kirksville offers. I had assumed UHS was "pushed" out of the larger AZ hospitals because of the University of Arizona and AZCOM affiliations that are there. I'm just curious.

KCOM has rotation sites in Arizona at:

Thunderbird Samaritan Regional Medical Center
in the glendale are of Pheonis
Mesa general Hospital in Phoenix
John C Lincoln (Deer Valley and North Mountain)

These are the base sites as of the class that went there this last August. It appears that there are other hospitals students can go to for their electives or their 4th year rotations if they chose to.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Thank you, I appreciate your response. John C. Lincoln is probably the biggest hospital on that list, although most of what they see will be elderly patients. Same holds true for any hospital located in the far western areas of Phoenix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freedom, are you M or F? Please tell us you are not gay! Yuck! Say it ain't so, Captain Freedom?

Do you have anything against us people of the different path?? If you do, I shall do a DPT on you and take a freedom blast thee into ad infinitum! Freedom shall fill your nerves when I plug into your veins dioxine gas!

BTW, call me tonite if you wanna... I'll show you some action you never saw in your life, big boy!

Umm... yeah! Oh, yeah!
FREEDDDOMMMMMM!!

[This message has been edited by captain?freedom (edited 03-09-2000).]

EEEEWWWWWw!! That's disgusting! I shall blast our mother for raising such a disgrace!! Repent or you will be dismissed from the super buddy club! Furthermore, you will not be refunded the $19.95 fee. I'll be chomping on this snickers while awaiting reply to this ultimatum!!

Ok at this point someone is using my password and my username. This is now a bit troubling. As well as these sickening references. Captain freedom was honestly meant to be funny, now, someone is living a delusional fantasy with my name and has been able to gain my password.

not cool

My password has been compromised!! I will blast the perpetrators of this heinous act with my freedom blaster!! Super buddies, come to my aid!!

They may take our lives, but they will never take our FREEEEEEDDOOMMMMM!!!

I'm feeling I should've NEVER tried to be funny when people are in trouble... now should I?

More regrets from...
Captain FREEEDOM!!

Captain FREEDOM:

If thou feelest thou hadst enough, then promulgate by thine own--"I am sorry, and I wilt never do such vacuous acts."

If thine response is satisfactory to Me [Self], then I wilt stop compelling thee... if not, justice shall be served.

Hence! Do as thou wilt, do as thou please.
- Thine Self.

Isn't it explicit in the Freedom Handbook that shrooms are prohibited!!! Repent! Repent! Has the Brain blasted you with his Ray gun? Worry not. I have Pinky with me. Negotiations are occuring as we speak. You will get the antidote!!

Don't mess with...FRRREEEEEDDDOOOMMMMM!!!

'em, not that I don't enjoy the Captain Freedom ramblings; however, I really wanted to try and get my original question addresed. Could somebody please find a ranking for the schools. (Or, even create their own.)
The ranking now is just out of curiosity, as I have already happily chosen to go to KCOM. It seemed to be the most supportive of individual students --a sharp contrast to the last two universities I have attended.

"Why must KCOM third and fourth year students live out of their suitcases while learning medicine?"

You move to a core hospital and finish your last 2 years there. No suitcases just moving vans. Also the students that go to Thunderbird in Arizona do half of their rotations at Maricopa. More than likely next year Maricopa will be a full site, because they love KCOM students.

[This message has been edited by John DOe (edited 03-17-2000).]

That's GREAT news for KCOM. Maricopa is a great site to learn A LOT of stuff. They will work you hard (according to student evaluations I have read) but isn't that what we all want during our learning years?? Had I known then that UHS would scrap MAricopa and KCOM would make it a full site, I might have taken them up on their interview offer when I had the chance in January of '99. If you want to see a lot of good stuff, go to Maricopa!

KCOM students living out of their suitcases?
I think you are confusing us with LECOM.
Most of us settle into one hosptial for 3rd and 4th years, a select few decide to spend 3rd year in one place, 4th in another.

The great thing about our rotations is the flexibility. One site has tons of didactics, others don't. And you can also choose locations based on the specialty strength of the hospital. Of course there is always the option of finding certain rotations at nearby hospitals to ensure that all your rotations are strong.

KCOM is great!