Which School Should I Go With?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pr1d3D0c

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my cycle is coming to a close. I was fortunate to gain acceptance to Hofstra and have interviewed at my state school (UMD). I am on the alternate list for three top 20 schools that I will go to if I get accepted off of one of them. However, if I end up needing to choose between Hofstra and UMD, I want to be sure I've done the right thing.

Hofstra Pros:
Curriculum
Northwell Helath System
New Facilities
Early Clinical Exposure (with preceptorship)
Near NYC/Hamptons

Hofstra Cons:
Hempstead
New School (possibly weak option for residency placement?)
Long Island expensive
Low rank

UMD Pros:
State School (Cheaper)
Location in Baltimore (Patient Diversity)
Facilities
Established School

UMD Cons:
Do not like the curriculum
Not P/F evaluation
Baltimore unsafe (will have significant other coming with and concerned for her safety too)
More rigid preclinical years (less clinical time)

If Northwell were an established medical school I would definitely choose to go there for sure; however, because I am wanting to do a specialty and am considering some competitive specialties, I'm afraid the newness might limit my ability to match in programs even if my step scores are strong.

So, what option would you go with? I have no aid available to me yet so right now it is simply this list of pros/cons. Which would you go with?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally would not be too worried about Hofstra being new. It sounds like you like everything else about it, and your cons for UMD would keep me away from any school. That being said, I'd probably choose UMD anyways bc its cheaper XD

I personally would not be too worried about Hofstra being new. It sounds like you like everything else about it, and your cons for UMD would keep me away from any school. That being said, I'd probably choose UMD anyways bc its cheaper XD
If I perform well on step (517 MCAT), will I still have a shot at a competitive residency?

If I perform well on step (517 MCAT), will I still have a shot at a competitive residency?
I'm not a Residency Director, so I'm probably not qualified to say. But I do know one that would slap you silly just for asking. Even at top schools, residency interviews are given out to students at schools of any tier. Step scores matter, LORs, evaluations from rotation, research, etc.
I personally would have no issue going to Hofstra. Your performance and 'fit' will be greater determinants for matching than whether you go to Hofstra or UMD
Oh, and for the record, I've heard great things about Hofstra. I doubt a residency director would look down on you for going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a Residency Director, so I'm probably not qualified to say. But I do know one that would slap you silly just for asking. Even at top schools, residency interviews are given out to students at schools of any tier. Step scores matter, LORs, evaluations from rotation, research, etc.
I personally would have no issue going to Hofstra. Your performance and 'fit' will be greater determinants for matching than whether you go to Hofstra or UMD
Oh, and for the record, I've heard great things about Hofstra. I doubt a residency director would look down on you for going there.
Thanks for your opinion! I do like Hofstra more objectively but the name was what has been bothering me

Not that USNWR is the be all and end all or anything, but according to that, the residency director assessment scores for UMD and Hofstra are 3.4 and 2.5, respectively. That said, I think that your school plays a relatively minor role in what residency you get compared to things like Step scores, reference letters, etc.

Not that USNWR is the be all and end all or anything, but according to that, the residency director assessment scores for UMD and Hofstra are 3.4 and 2.5, respectively. That said, I think that your school plays a relatively minor role in what residency you get compared to things like Step scores, reference letters, etc.
So that is my concern, essentially. I know that Hofstra has a lower reputation being that it's new but I was curious about the extent to which this matters. I do want to do a specialty like surgery or ophtho right now and don't want to feel like my school choice would preclude me from these specialties excessively

EDIT: curious not furious

Last edited:
UMD cons would be the death knell for considering them tbh. Unsafe, not P/F and less pre-clinical don't appeal much to me. Less so the pre-clinical time.

I'd go with UMD. It's ranked significantly higher (#40 for UMD vs #82 for Hofstra) and that will help you for residency. It's not as important as other factors like your Step score, but it does matter.

also, FWIW Hempstead isn't exactly the safest area. It has a pretty high violent crime rate.

Last edited:
I'd go with UMD. It's ranked significantly higher (#40 for UMD vs #82 for Hofstra) and that will help you for residency. It's not as important as other factors like your Step score, but it does matter.
I see; you think this matters more than how I feel the actual curriculum will be for me? Like I said, on the whole I would have chosen Hofstra if not for the ranking consideration

Based solely on your list of pros and cons it appears that you prefer Hofstra. Go where you will be the happiest!

Reactions: 1 user
I see; you think this matters more than how I feel the actual curriculum will be for me? Like I said, on the whole I would have chosen Hofstra if not for the ranking consideration

There seems to be some controversy around this as a lot of people on SDN say that med school ranking doesn't matter much for residency. But since starting med school and talking to 4th years, residents, fellows, even a few program directors - I've been told that it actually does matter especially for competitive specialties and top residency programs. Personally I would be hesitant to choose Hofstra over a school that is ranked so much higher. However they do have the Northwell system, which is a plus as it seems like a lot of their students match to Northwell programs. So assuming you have a competitive application, there should be no issue with matching into a competitive speciality within the Northwell system. But if you think you want to do academic medicine and/or match into a top 10 residency program, I'd go with UMD. That said, I also think it's very important to go where you will be happy. That was a huge factor for me when I was deciding between different med schools. Med school is hard enough and if you're miserable you probably aren't going to do as well. If you really don't see yourself being happy at UMD and you love Hofstra, then I'd go with Hofstra.

Can you source the site where you got this info from?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your hesistations about UMD's curriculum? Why do you like Hofstra's better? I'm simply asking, I would like to hear different point of views :)
Can you source the site where you got this info from?

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

What are your hesistations about UMD's curriculum? Why do you like Hofstra's better? I'm simply asking, I would like to hear different point of views :)

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile
They are a graded curriculum and it seems to me that the curriculum is very rigid. The students said it was sometimes difficult to schedule clinical time within the scheduling of the curriculum. Also, I have heard that exams are lengthy at ~5 hours (but this has not been completely substantiated yet).

As far as what I like about Hofstra better, smaller classes, close to NYC (if I want to be there), the Northwell system, the P/F grading and the curriculum that emphasizes pre-clinical involvement.

I grew up down the road from Hofstra and went to school in Baltimore for my BS/MS, so obviously coming into this a little biased, but I just wanted to put my two cents in anyway.

I'd go with UMD.

I totally get the 'unsafe' con for Baltimore. Moving out of Baltimore was a breath of fresh air. But it is a city, and as with any city, there are areas to avoid. So long as you play it smart, you should be fine; I spent five years in Baltimore with no horror stories to tell. And honestly, I grew to love Baltimore. The people are wonderful. The city is up and coming in some areas and there's a lot to experience and enjoy. It's only train ride away from D.C., too. The patient population is completely different from what you'd see at Hofstra, and for me, that was a huge plus - I learned and grew more than I could have imagined from my clinical experiences in Baltimore.

Hofstra is new, it is ranked lower, and I think you might not get as much patient diversity as you could hope for from the Northwell Health System. (Let's face it, it is in the middle of Long Island.) I'm sure growing up in the area is a huge factor in my bias - and for you, it may be the opposite since you're from Maryland. Perhaps a new scene will be better for you and your SO. I'm also obliged to tell you you'll be down the road from the best bagels ever... so there's that to consider, too :)

Why? I just want to know the reasoning
Well, for me:

-cheaper tuition
-more established school

IDK what the upside is to Hofstra tbh, other than P/F. But P/F is a double edged sword because it means you'll be graded almost entirely on how you perform during 3rd year rotations, where you're graded subjectively. I'd honestly rather not have P/F because then at least I have some control over the grades I get in med school.

UMD hands down. I got waitlisted for that school but LOVED it. dude... shock trauma. enough said. and if you want more clinical experience the first 2 years, do the psych track. If you can successfully obtain an HPI from a psych pt, you're doing well.

UMD hands down. I got waitlisted for that school but LOVED it. dude... shock trauma. enough said. and if you want more clinical experience the first 2 years, do the psych track. If you can successfully obtain an HPI from a psych pt, you're doing well.
Well that's the thing, I don't really want to choose a path I don't want because the clinical exposure overall is limited

Well that's the thing, I don't really want to choose a path I don't want because the clinical exposure overall is limited
How is it limited? From my understanding on interview day, choosing a path is essentially extra work. so you'd be working with psych pts in addition to the rest of the population that your peers are working with. You'd be gaining more clinical experience overall. And choosing a track does not mean that is your goal speciality

How is it limited? From my understanding on interview day, choosing a path is essentially extra work. so you'd be working with psych pts in addition to the rest of the population that your peers are working with. You'd be gaining more clinical experience overall. And choosing a track does not mean that is your goal speciality
I directly asked students who said that the curriculum was often too rigid during the day to find enough time to pursue clinical exposure...

Hofstra was such a fun school. Really good curriculum and great body of students. They get "better" students at Hofstra even though they're not ranked as highly.

I think you'll have a better experience at Hof.

So my cycle is coming to a close. I was fortunate to gain acceptance to Hofstra and have interviewed at my state school (UMD). I am on the alternate list for three top 20 schools that I will go to if I get accepted off of one of them. However, if I end up needing to choose between Hofstra and UMD, I want to be sure I've done the right thing.

Hofstra Pros:
Curriculum
Northwell Helath System
New Facilities
Early Clinical Exposure (with preceptorship)
Near NYC/Hamptons

Hofstra Cons:
Hempstead
New School (possibly weak option for residency placement?)
Long Island expensive
Low rank

UMD Pros:
State School (Cheaper)
Location in Baltimore (Patient Diversity)
Facilities
Established School

UMD Cons:
Do not like the curriculum
Not P/F evaluation
Baltimore unsafe (will have significant other coming with and concerned for her safety too)
More rigid preclinical years (less clinical time)

If Northwell were an established medical school I would definitely choose to go there for sure; however, because I am wanting to do a specialty and am considering some competitive specialties, I'm afraid the newness might limit my ability to match in programs even if my step scores are strong.

So, what option would you go with? I have no aid available to me yet so right now it is simply this list of pros/cons. Which would you go with?

If I were choosing for myself, the decision would be easy.
My list of pros and cons as well as my priorities would look a lot different, though.
Could you specify? I just would like to hear what lens you're looking from with this

Could you specify? I just would like to hear what lens you're looking from with this
They are both fine schools.
There are two ways to answer you and neither should have any influence on your decision.
Answer 1: how I would have decided prospectively as an applicant.
Answer 2: how I would decide now.

They are both fine schools.
There are two ways to answer you and neither should have any influence on your decision.
Answer 1: how I would have decided prospectively as an applicant.
Answer 2: how I would decide now.
I see. I understand what you're saying. What is motivating the change between then and now for you? I am assuming the shift in considerations is due to things you have learned after years of experience

I see. I understand what you're saying. What is motivating the change between then and now for you? I am assuming the shift in considerations is due to things you have learned after years of experience
Oddly, the answer remains the same even though the reasons and priorities shift!