Which school to add?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psi1467

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you probably have received, the AACOMAS was gracious enough to allow applicants to add an extra school free of charge onto their application due to the extended time it took for them to work out some kinks. Due to my sports medicine background, I like the emphasis that OMT puts on the musculoskeletal system. Regardless, if it is used or not. Yet, my problem lies in finding another osteopathic school that has a stronger connection in placing students in surgical residencies (at this time I'm intrigued by ortho). I know that many students go into primary care, but does anybody have any knowledge of a school that might be better suited if I decide to pursue surgery? Keep in mind I'm a West Virginia resident. Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

how did you find out about the extra school? I haven't received any info about this. thanks!

They simply sent me an additional college designation form in the mail. Their was a cover letter attached. To summarize, it just said thanks for applying, and having patience as they worked out some initial bugs. It then followed up with some of their plans to make the operation run more smoothly in the upcoming cycles. Then it concluded with,
"We appreciate your willingness to grow with us and are grateful for your cooperation as we continue to seek additional efficiencies in our operation. While many of you will not participate in future application cycles, we are cognizant of your suggestions and input towards our service. As a small token of our appreciation, we would like to offer you the chance to select an additional college designation at no cost.
To take advantage of this opportunity, simply complete and return the enclosed form to AACOMAS. Best wishes as you pursue your dreams of becoming an osteopathic physician."

That's what I got in the mail. Yet, back to the original question, can anybody give me some useful advice? Thanks.

You should understand that getting surgery or the surgical subspecialties (for clarification, that's Urology, Otorhinolaryngology (ENT), Opthalmology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, and Neurosurgery) for an osteopathic medical student in an allopathic program is very, very difficult, more so for the subspecialties than with general surgery.

With that aside, your best shot at something like Ortho would be through an osteopathic program, and while there are only a handful of these around, there are certain DO schools which serve as the academic sponsors. You should check with each of the 19 osteopathic colleges and find out which offer an orthopedic postgraduate prorgam (residency). My personal opinion is that you'll have probably the best chance of landing a surgical or subspecialty residency through schools like NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, or UMDNJ-SOM which have among the best rotations in the osteopathic world at many well-known and well-liked (allopathic) hospitals.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 10-27-2000).]