Which school!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

shoeler

I am trying to learn more about a few schools and I heard from a local dentist that "Creighton is the best" because you get to get your hands into all sorts of patients where other schools will take a good number of the patients for the specialty programs. And supposedly at those schools you can only drill and fill all day and don't get a lot of variety or oportunity to learn about all aspects.

Is this really the case at a lot of schools? Maybe this is a dumb question but in other words do you guys know what schools allow students to experience everything all the time?

Members don't see this ad.

omaha?

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to learn more about a few schools and I heard from a local dentist that "Creighton is the best" because you get to get your hands into all sorts of patients where other schools will take a good number of the patients for the specialty programs. And supposedly at those schools you can only drill and fill all day and don't get a lot of variety or oportunity to learn about all aspects.

Is this really the case at a lot of schools? Maybe this is a dumb question but in other words do you guys know what schools allow students to experience everything all the time?

The best dental school is the one you get accepted to. The experience you get in dental school will not make you a super-dentist anyways.

ITT: People who've never been to Omaha. Nebraska was actually pretty nice, and Omaha is a cool city.

Anyway, schools without residency programs are nice because you, the dental student, get to pick up some extra/more complicated cases that would normally get pushed to the residents. However, there are several schools with that situation, and there's really no such thing as a 'best' dental school.

If you're interested in schools with no (or few) residency programs, check out UNLV and Pacific also.

omaha is a really cool city. i didnt know thats where creighton was. id def go there if i was you.

I was privledged to interview at 6 schools and in my opinion they are all almost the same. Sure some schools have newer toys then other or some have more patients for yo when you are a 3rd or 4th year, but the differences are overrated in my opinion. My sincere advice is that you look at how much each school charges you for tuition and not bieng too far from where you want to preactice when you graduate.

I'm a 4th year at Creighton, and my time thus far has been very rewarding. You are correct in saying that we get a lot of patients that are complex cases, that at any other school residents in specialites would usually treat. Since there are ZERO students in residencies here, we treat everything that comes in the door. As a dental student, seeing a wide variety of different cases is really all you can hope for, and you well get that at Creighton.

Now, I'm not from Nebraska, and I didn't know what Omaha as a city was like. But truthfully it's like anywhere else. Some good, some bad. I've really grown to like it.

I was privledged to interview at 6 schools and in my opinion they are all almost the same. Sure some schools have newer toys then other or some have more patients for yo when you are a 3rd or 4th year, but the differences are overrated in my opinion. My sincere advice is that you look at how much each school charges you for tuition and not bieng too far from where you want to preactice when you graduate.

I agree with this advice. Go to what school fits you best, and what you can afford. I'm on an Air Force scholarship so it doesn't really matter for me, but Creighton is the most affordable private dental school in the country.

There is a positive side to dental schools with all the specialties. Many dental school residencies will guarantee their alumni's an interview if you apply for their specialty programs. For some people, it may be the only way to specialize.

That makes a lot of sense. I would agree.