Which schools are 'okay' if OOS applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Humanz

Humahn?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question was asked before, but I haven't managed to find it yet.

Anyways, I'm a CA resident. Applying to DO and my schools MD.

I'm trying to put together a list of the schools that are nicer to OOS applicants and don't emphasize state of residence as something basically on their admissions page.
I was wondering if there is a list out here.. somewhere.. that kind of pinpoints which schools are "ok" for OOS applicants so I could investigate without picking schools totally blind.

Any help would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to put together a list of the schools that are nicer to OOS applicants and don't emphasize state of residence as something basically on their admissions page.
I was wondering if there is a list out here.. somewhere.. that kind of pinpoints which schools are "ok" for OOS applicants so I could investigate without picking schools totally blind.

Well, I got into OSU-COM OOS, but I feel like I got really lucky...

Obviously the private schools are good to apply to...
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM (all)
UNECOM typically has a regional preference
NYCOM- in state and regional but OOS do get in
PCOM- In state and regional
UMDNJ- hard to get in OOS
MSU- hard to get in OOS

I'm really not sure of most of the midwestern schools so maybe someone else can chime in on those!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I got into OSU-COM OOS, but I feel like

During our interview OSU said they have strong OOS ties to Texas (obvious), Colorado and Utah.

OP: I wouldn't say there are alot of road blocks for OOS applicants at most schools. About the only ones that come to mind are TCOM,OSU, and possibly MSU (though I've seen alot of OOS acceptances on SDN this cycle).

Members don't see this ad :)
During our interview OSU said they have strong OOS ties to Texas (obvious), Colorado and Utah.

OP: I wouldn't say there are alot of road blocks for OOS applicants at most schools. About the only ones that come to mind are TCOM,OSU, and possibly MSU (though I've seen alot of OOS acceptances on SDN this cycle).

Maybe its because I go to school in CO? I'm actually a NJ resident lol

Maybe its because I go to school in CO? I'm actually a NJ resident lol

Yeah, I think the reason I got an interview was because I went to UG in Utah even though I live in Idaho.

NSU is pretty open for non-Florida applicants. Also I heard that Western is pretty nice to OOS folks too

Well, I got into OSU-COM OOS, but I feel like I got really lucky...

Obviously the private schools are good to apply to...
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM (all)
UNECOM typically has a regional preference
NYCOM- in state and regional but OOS do get in
PCOM- In state and regional
UMDNJ- hard to get in OOS
MSU- hard to get in OOS

I'm really not sure of most of the midwestern schools so maybe someone else can chime in on those!

UMDNJ is not hard to get into OOS. This myth seems to have arisen because of the admissions stats US News was printing for a while (i.e., "99%" in-state). This is because UMDNJ used to allow OOS students to switch states of residency before they even started first year, which made these students all look like they were in-state. The actual admissions process at SOM involves a "grid" where applicant characteristics like grades, MCAT scores, etc are all given numerical values and added together. If you're above a certain cutoff, you get accepted - and residency barely figures into the calculation.

There are plenty of people here from PA, NY, CT, and even CA. I was an OOS applicant from OH.

MSU is fairly OOS friendly, I believe around 100 invites went to OOS applicants out of 300 total. Tutition on the other hand...

All of the Touro campuses are filled with OOS students.