Which schools base more emphasis on mcat then gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starzz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... so here's a thought provoking question:

Out of all the medical schools there are the avg. person applies to about 10 or more schools. So based on that which medical schools take in mcat as the higher weight compared to gpa? I know mostly state schools are more focused on gpa then mcat, but other schools, private and non-state, what do you guys think is their deal? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I think medical college of Ohio is probably less concerned about GPA. I say this because I had a relatively low GPA (3.3 overall, 3.2 bcpm) and high MCAT (34). Interviewed and accepted as an out of stater (to a public school) with no ties to the area.

Oh, I hear Harvard, wash U, hopkins, duke, all heavily weight the MCAT portion.:laugh:

If you do a search, lots of people think WashU does

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools place more emphasis on the MCAT than on GPA.

where did you hear that state schools weigh GPA more heavily than MCAT?

krebse said:
where did you hear that state schools weigh GPA more heavily than MCAT?

I don't think that's necessarily true... many state schools would be thrilled to get matriculants with high MCAT's since it would raise their stats-- since MCAT's are the great equalizer, it would raise the "prestige" factor of the school.

what a crazy thread

Tulane has a 30-31 MCAT but a 3.5 GPA
Compared to UF a state school with a 3.7-3.8 and a 29
or USF 3.7 and 28 ish

I think the rule of thumb is if you have a relatively low GPA, make sure you ace the MCAT.

IndyZX said:
what a crazy thread

LOL... I love how everyone has formed their opinions. Very scientific process, I assure you. ;)

I read in a thread awhile back that Mayo screens its secondaries based on an MCAT_SCORE + GPA * 10 thing. greater then 66 or 67 gets you in. in other words it's near 50-50 (gpa is out of 40, mcat is out of 40ish) for Mayo. Not that this has anything to do with this thread though.

rcd said:
I read in a thread awhile back that Mayo screens its secondaries based on an MCAT_SCORE + GPA * 10 thing. greater then 66 or 67 gets you in. in other words it's near 50-50 (gpa is out of 40, mcat is out of 40ish) for Mayo. Not that this has anything to do with this thread though.

This is true - I had a meeting with the Asst Dean for Student Affairs (Dr. Barbara Porter) earlier this month and she explained it to me. It used to be a 67 (GPA x 10 + MCAT) for everyone but Fl, Mn, and Az residents for the initial screening but now they've dropped to 60 to consider more applicants. Could be a good thing for some of us! ;)

This is and old thread, so I don't know how Mayo was in those days, but this can't be true today, right? 67 gets you in? That's super low.. say you get a 40 on the mcat - that means you need a 2.7 gpa to get in.. Or even a low mcat: 35 means you only need a 3.2.

You revived a 4 year-old topic for this? And anyway, the poster said that the cutoff for the secondary screening was a LizzyM score of 66-67, and there is a good chance that is higher now (seeing as overall stats keep on creeping up).