Which schools do not accept AP Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eryaman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a rising sophomore in a university in Texas. I have been lurking on this forum for a while but finally decided to take the jump and post. :D

Earlier, I was only interested in M.D. programs, and as far as I know all the Texas schools accept AP credit (?); however, lately I have become interested in potentially applying to MSPT or M.D./Ph.D. programs after two summers of research experiences. This would require my applying to schools more broadly across the nation as opposed to just Texas schools.

My question is, is there some organization of which medical schools do or do not accept AP credit, particularly at schools with MSTPs or MD/PhD programs? I did a LOT of AP credit in high school (Biology, Chemistry, Physics C E&M, Physics C Mech, Calc AB, Calc BC, Statistics, English Lit, English Lang, World Hist, US Hist, Comp Sci A) plus dual credit in economics and texas history. I decided to take all of this credit. My university lists this as having completed the actual course on the transcript, in case that makes a difference. I have also heard that for some schools, it is okay if you take higher level coursework in the discipline...? I am a Chemical Engineering major, so if that is true then Chemistry will not be a problem...only Biology (of which Texas schools require two advanced semesters).

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I did a search and did not anything particularly helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When the list says "supplementing", is that referring to taking an upper level course in that discipline? For example, Duke and Harvard say Physics must be supplemented - does this mean that if one of my engineering courses were to be classified as Physics, I would be okay? And for the ones that say AP credit is not accepted, does that mean the only way to meet the requirement would be to actually take the intro class (ie., taking upper level classes will not help)? I don't know if it's possible to "withdraw" the credit I have claimed through AP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes supplementing is taking an upper level class.

My understanding is that schools ask for a year of physics, chem and bio and associated labs, in general. The 'will not accept' schools will not accept the APed classes to fulfill these years but will accept upper level classes in place of those. It just means that you are not free of premed classes, you still have to take them whether it be a 100 class or a 1000 level class. Since you are chemical engineering, chemistry probably won't be a problem and neither will physics. Just take the physics intended class in the Physics department. Also, you will have to take some sort of biology classes, whether they are part of your major or not. So yeah, upper level classes are the way to go.

if ap credit is not accepted then you have to replace like this:

1 yr of bio ---> cell and a&p 1 (or whatever).
1 yr gen physics ----> adv physics 1 & 2.

All the counts must be filled.

So "AP credit accepted only if supplemented" means part of the requirement is met by AP credit and the rest by college credit, right? Say AP Calc AB + one semester of College Calc II for the one-year math requirement.

The list posted above implies that 2/3 of med schools accept AP credit. Another question to ask is whether using AP credit gives an applicant any competitive disadvantage.

So "AP credit accepted only if supplemented" means part of the requirement is met by AP credit and the rest by college credit, right? Say AP Calc AB + one semester of College Calc II for the one-year math requirement.

The list posted above implies that 2/3 of med schools accept AP credit. Another question to ask is whether using AP credit gives an applicant any competitive disadvantage.
Theoretically.

But you're better off meeting the requirement with actual classes- AB + calc 2 + calc 3.

It's more of they accept the credit but still need you to take 'premed reqs' of a higher level to actually experience the college courses. So no, no requirement is met by AP for the supplement schools, just credit.

I have a related question. Not only did I get a 5 on the AP Physics B exam, I also got a 5 on the AP Physics C Electricity & Magnetism test. I've already taken advanced mechanics in college but do you really think I have to take advanced E&M given my 5 on the E&M exam??

You should take a sequence of physics courses. So if the next level class covers E&M take it. I am sure there is an advanced sequence. Find out if your mechanics is the first part of it.

Like most schools want, you need a year of physics.

Yes supplementing is taking an upper level class.

My understanding is that schools ask for a year of physics, chem and bio and associated labs, in general. The 'will not accept' schools will not accept the APed classes to fulfill these years but will accept upper level classes in place of those. It just means that you are not free of premed classes, you still have to take them whether it be a 100 class or a 1000 level class. Since you are chemical engineering, chemistry probably won't be a problem and neither will physics. Just take the physics intended class in the Physics department. Also, you will have to take some sort of biology classes, whether they are part of your major or not. So yeah, upper level classes are the way to go.
To clarify, would I be able to supplement with just one upper level class or would I have to take both semesters? For example, with Biology, would supplementing mean taking just one upper level class, or two semesters of upper level biology + lab (8 credit hours)?

Thanks!

To clarify, would I be able to supplement with just one upper level class or would I have to take both semesters? For example, with Biology, would supplementing mean taking just one upper level class, or two semesters of upper level biology + lab (8 credit hours)?

Thanks!
make up how ever many courses you got ap for.

so if you only got 1 term of bio, you need to add 1 upper level.
if you got 2 terms, you need to add 2.