Which schools do not accept community college prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1840

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
so I was looking at Tufts requirements and they said they don't accept prereqs from community colleges! I'm honestly pretty surprised. I completed my high school and associates together at once at a community college, and honestly thought it wouldn't be an issue, since its actually getting ahead than others. I have most of my eng/math/humanities credits from there, plus my bio 1&2. I've been taking other bio courses and all other sciences at Uni. Do you know of any other school that does this?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard that a school will not accept community college course work. Most schools mention something about community college coursework on their websites, some do not. Most I've seen that they do accept them but you can't do all of your prereqs there. How many credits did you complete at community college by the way? Some schools will only accept a certain number of credits from community college.

Some examples below:

http://dent.umich.edu/admissions/dds/frequently-asked-questions
Q: Is it okay to do all of my prerequisite work at a community college? (Back to top)
A: No, the admissions committee prefers to see prerequisites taken at a four-year college or university.

http://dental.pacific.edu/Academic_...ntal_Surgery/DDS_Admissions_Requirements.html
Limitation on Community College Work: Courses taken at a community college will be acceptable if they are transferable as equivalent to predental courses at a four-year college.

https://www.dentistry.ucla.edu/learning/pre-requisites-requirements-admission
* Limitations on accredited community college course work -
(Only 70 semester or 105 quarter units will be accepted.)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think some schools don't accept any at all. If you download doc toothache's guide, I believe it's all listed there.

Pitt accepts only up to 30% of pre-req from CC
BU and Tufts not at all
Temple not at all
Many or majority of dental schools prefer courses to be taken at 4 year university, especially pre-reqs

Thanks for the reply everyone. I think out of the general pre reqs I have taken bio 1 and 2, physics 2 and my English and humanities courses which I think would be 6 classes in total. Other than that I took all my sciences and everything else at Uni. Isn't there any way that I could tell them that I was in a collegiate program? Does that even matter to them lol

Thanks for the reply everyone. I think out of the general pre reqs I have taken bio 1 and 2, physics 2 and my English and humanities courses which I think would be 6 classes in total. Other than that I took all my sciences and everything else at Uni. Isn't there any way that I could tell them that I was in a collegiate program? Does that even matter to them lol

Dental Schools are well aware of the Dual Enrollment options that just about every high school participates in these days. It really isn't a leg up since a very large number of applicants will have similar credits either through AP/IB/DE. The dental schools don't want your pre-reqs coming from CC's if they don't take the CC credits. The rest of your classes at the CC should be fine as long as you have enough credits, 90+, from your 4 year school. Do a search for Doc Toothache's list of who takes what for CC credits, but just know that they ALL want upper-level classes at a 4 year college to prove those CC classes were rigorous enough. Also, read the fine print, even schools that take CC credits do so with a disclaimer.

Pitt accepts only up to 30% of pre-req from CC
BU and Tufts not at all
Temple not at all
Many or majority of dental schools prefer courses to be taken at 4 year university, especially pre-reqs
I've seen conflicting reports out of Temple applicants. Are you sure about this? It's the same with Creighton. Although it says they don't, there are multiple accounts from this website claiming they got in with CC credits. The only two schools I've seen that'll flat out reject them are Boston and Tufts.

Temple thread controversy: LINK

Here's another: LINK

Another (look at gsxra4b6's post in the thread) : LINK

Last edited:
I've seen conflicting reports out of Temple applicants. Are you sure about this? It's the same with Creighton. Although it says they don't, there are multiple accounts from this website claiming they got in with CC credits. The only two schools I've seen that'll flat out reject them are Boston and Tufts.

thats weird because I'm looking at the 2014 adea official guide to dental schools and it says they do not accept CC credits for pre-reqs.
You can still be interview with CC credits, it's just you need to get them completed at the university before you matriculate.
not sure if they have changed this, but if not I'm quite sure it's how it is

thats weird because I'm looking at the 2014 adea official guide to dental schools and it says they do not accept CC credits for pre-reqs.
You can still be interview with CC credits, it's just you need to get them completed at the university before you matriculate.
not sure if they have changed this, but if not I'm quite sure it's how it is
Just because it says they don't doesn't mean they don't. They would just like for you not to. The DAT will show them what they need to know. Most of the places I've called and askdc have told me that aside from Boston and Tufts. It doesn't hurt if some others don't mind calling these places and asking though so we'll have multiple accounts.

Community college credits for pre-reqs or just having some community college credits. It's not that having the credits for classes like anthropology and such is what they won't take, it's the pre-req classes that they won't take. And if you read the comments--the one guy said he took his classes at a state college, not a community college.

I had a similar question awhile ago. I emailed the advisor at U of Michigan. Here's what they said.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 282
I had a similar question awhile ago. I emailed the advisor at U of Michigan. Here's what they said.
Honestly I don't think it's going to hurt to apply to any school regardless of what the guide says regarding whether or not they accept CC prereqs. Like I said, the only schools that seem hard-nosed about it are Boston and Tufts. I'm applying to Creighton and Temple next cycle and all have pretty strict standards per the guide. I'll take my chances. The worst that will happen is they'll reject me, but at least I'll have tried.

Reactions: 1 users