Which Schools do Wax-Ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, everybody,
Do you have enough time to finish your projects? From what I heard, I need to stay after school/weekends to come back just to finish it. So even though we are not having a lot of lab hours, we may end up in the lab for quite a long time.

Members don't see this ad.

I find the lab time adequate to finish my projects, however, many of my classmates need 2 to 3 times more time out of class to finish. It depends on the person and will vary quite a bit. It is a skill that most people have never done before and can take a large amount of time to become proficient at it....on the other hand, some people pick it up very fast.

I had 2 come back to the lab to finsih my stone cast a feew weeks ago and recently to finish a diagnostic and regluar wax-up. Not fun but you get to practice without the lab stress. There are some people in my lab bench that have created beautiful wax-ups. For people like me it will just take some practice...but that's normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working after hours can be annoying since it eats into your already limited free time, but having the lab mostly empty makes for a much less stressful & hectic work environment. I personally don't mind at all unless I have other demands pressing on my time outside school.

ecdoesit said:
Hi, everybody,
Do you have enough time to finish your projects? From what I heard, I need to stay after school/weekends to come back just to finish it. So even though we are not having a lot of lab hours, we may end up in the lab for quite a long time.

Hahaha,

Today we did an RPD assignment of an Interm RPD with clasps on a microstone cast of a VIADE model. We started in lab at 10am (after 2 hours of lecture) and I left the lab with a completed wax up with set teeth at 10pm.

12 hours of lab, man, dental school is great but it can be a drag!

-Mike

CJWolf said:
we do them at UT ... not only do we do waxups; but we do it in 4 different colors ...

Yellow for Cusp Tips
Red for Ridges
Blue for Proximal surfaces
Green for everything else

so basically i end up with a pretty bad looking brown tooth ...
Its called PKT wax up Peter Kay Thomas and you will have 139 occlusal contacts in a full mouth rehabilitation in centric - as in cusp to fossa you aim for tripoidal contact. ie 13 contacts on each of 19,30

At San Antonio we wax up all the anteriors -- #6-11; #4, #3, #30, and do a group function exercise from 11-14. It's not much fun, but better than complete dentures.

Do I understand correctly that you can work on your waxups as late as you want? At Creighton, ours are timed and have to be done in lab. But the grading here, is as random as any.

Omahahahaha said:
Do I understand correctly that you can work on your waxups as late as you want? At Creighton, ours are timed and have to be done in lab. But the grading here, is as random as any.
Only if it's a class project. For a practical exam, we're timed at IUSD.

We got a practical wax-up of # 8.

May I add I like the international numbering system WAY more than Universal. Much more systematic. They use it in Canada.

We do tooth wax ups (sept. - nov.) AND cone waxing (nov. - feb.). By wax ups I mean dripping wax onto a tooth peg (a dental stone tooth with part of it cut away) to build up the tooth mass, and then carving in the anatomy. So, using this technique, we do #9, #23, #27, #5 and #21, #3 and #30. We will finish this section with a practical examination next Thursday in which we have to wax on a 1st molar peg with a 1/4 cut-away.

Our carvers in our instrument roll-up are called "PKT" 1-7. Does anyone know what "PKT" stands for?!? I'd love to know.

By cone waxing I mean that multi-colored stuff everyone else has written about. We'll start cone waxing towards the end of November and take our Final Practical Exam (for cone waxing) on February 24 of next year. We end up doing cone wax-ups of #13, #14, #15, #6, #7, #8, #29, #30, #31.

Some schools, like at UOP and some school in India, do wax block carving instead of wax ups, last time I checked.

We're doing Operative preclinical at the same time. Taking those handpieces to those plastic teeth is a lot harder than it looked when we were observing the real thing as predents isn't it?.... But that's what all this practice is for....

Omahahahaha said:

We actually do wax "carve downs", I don't know why I said wax-ups.

Well we do both: Wax-up over the stump into the general shape and then carve down to make the proper anatomy and contacts.

We had a tooth ID tutorial heald by our school's ASDA chapter..pretty helpful stuff.

ItsGavinC said:
Everybody uses PKTs--invented by the master waxer Peter K. Thomas.

Truly amazing. Thanks Gavin.

I'll add Mr. Thomas to my list of dental greats of old. He's number 2 on my compiled list so far, the first being G.V. Black -- "Extension for Prevention!"