Which Schools do Wax-Ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHA DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We here at NYU do wax-ups in first year but some schools don't even do them, like BU. Which of you guys do or did them.

Members don't see this ad.

We did them at Northwestern ad nauseum. :)

we do them at UT ... not only do we do waxups; but we do it in 4 different colors ...

Yellow for Cusp Tips
Red for Ridges
Blue for Proximal surfaces
Green for everything else

so basically i end up with a pretty bad looking brown tooth ...

Members don't see this ad :)
We wax it up too like crazy here at Temple. We have to wax up our crowns too that we do in clinic and do all the casting and lab work that goes with it. We wax up all our dentures too....good times, good times. That is 15 crowns and 12 archs of removable. Gotta love it
T 2006

Ill second that on Temple.....we literally started waxing up on the 2nd day of school....I hate wax...geez, we had our 3rd waxup practical today on #3, not a pretty tooth...Im glad its over and now we can move onto acrylics and provisionals...

CJWolf said:
we do them at UT ... not only do we do waxups; but we do it in 4 different colors ...

Yellow for Cusp Tips
Red for Ridges

Same color scheme here at Arizona.

Same here at Case. We do in 3 different colors with our practical.

We here at nova do wax-ups and carve downs. Anyone else do carve downs? In my opinion i think they are much more difficult than the wax-ups, you have to worry about all that root anatomy!

EHA DDS said:
We here at NYU do wax-ups in first year but some schools don't even do them, like BU. Which of you guys do or did them.

Actually, we ARE doing wax-ups this year. They added it to the curriculum of the current first-years. Many of the second-years are disappointed they did not have this.

CJWolf said:

Yellow for Cusp Tips
Red for Ridges

Man, I spent 3 hours today waxing up a #30 crown, and a #31 MOD Onlay using PKT method. There is nothing like trying to place a yellow cone for the distal cusp of #30 on the taper of a crown prep. Where can I find this Peter K. Thomas guy... him and I have words.

How many schools force you to do PKT method ... i.e. yellow-cone cusp-to-fossa technique?

Argh!!

-Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
we wax everything for preclinical labs (1st and 2nd year)
but THANK GOD we do not have to for clinic... if i had to cast my own crowns i think i would lose my mind. we just have to pour up our casts and get our dies ready to be waxed. also we do not have to set any denture teeth after 2nd year (thank god for that too) unless you either have to have them reset for some reason OR you dont want to or cant wait the 7 working days. that is the main drawback about not having to do your own stuff like that: you are at the mercy of lab working times BUT i would take that any day over having to do that %$*# myself. personally i believe that a dentist should be able to recognize good and bad labwork which can be learned in preclinical, but once you get in clinic - no thanks!

texas_dds said:
we wax everything for preclinical labs (1st and 2nd year)
but THANK GOD we do not have to for clinic... if i had to cast my own crowns i think i would lose my mind. we just have to pour up our casts and get our dies ready to be waxed. also we do not have to set any denture teeth after 2nd year (thank god for that too) unless you either have to have them reset for some reason OR you dont want to or cant wait the 7 working days. that is the main drawback about not having to do your own stuff like that: you are at the mercy of lab working times BUT i would take that any day over having to do that %$*# myself. personally i believe that a dentist should be able to recognize good and bad labwork which can be learned in preclinical, but once you get in clinic - no thanks!
We do a lot of waxing in preclinic, but clinic students have the option to send crowns off to lab after making dies, and dentures after doing the wax try-in. Or, you can cast crowns & flask/process dentures yourself if you'd rather. I personally think I might do some of my own lab work all the way through just to save the time, but we'll see.

We wax.... GO Cards!

USC does 'em too. We have to do our own wax-ups for clinic too as well as cut backs occasionally....Ya :love:

We do em at USC first yr. Just did one today for the first time in a few semesters-started out really slow, but the muscle memory came back pretty quickly and its sorta like building up composites (albeit, I don't have to worry about the damn voids I get with composites).

My bad, my buddy did inform me that Boston U freshmen are now doing wax ups.

We do NOT do wax up...which is very conveniently a lie. :)

We just did a few, which could be a good thing. I don't think I'll do wax-up during my practice. Send it off to the lab. :cool:

They changed the format here. Now we just have to get each wax-up checked off but only the practical exam has a grade. So far we've done a #8,9 and a diagnostic #9

as far as getting grades go ... ours are completely subjective .. I mean what's the difference in an 82 and 87 ... oh well

But in clinic we aren't allowed to wax up crowns, the in house techs take care of that thank God.

U Pitt
Scale 0-4.0
Final exam + wax up 1st Max. Molar

Bickle said:
you wanted the yankees to win?

I come from Toronto....and we havent won a cup since 1967...but we could always say, "at least we arent the bosox"....if bosox win, I just cant say that anymore....

PS Cubs dont count cause no one cares about them

CJWolf said:
as far as getting grades go ... ours are completely subjective .. I mean what's the difference in an 82 and 87 ... oh well

The difference is whether or not the instructor is having a good day, whether or not you and the instructor have the same political views, etc., etc.

Grading at our school is the most random thing I've ever encountered.

ItsGavinC said:
The difference is whether or not the instructor is having a good day, whether or not you and the instructor have the same political views, etc., etc.

Grading at our school is the most random thing I've ever encountered.

ok, why are you and your instructor sharing political views??

because at az, everyone is buddy-buddy! lets all go play flag football with the dean...

Bickle said:
ok, why are you and your instructor sharing political views??

I never said we did. I said "whether or not you and the instructor have the same political views, etc., etc."

Don't you guys talk to people around you while you are waxing?

we always just sit around and shoot the breeze ... hell there's not much else you can do for 3 hours of lab at a time ...

But our professor gets them out of our box and randomly assigns a grade in about 10-15 seconds ... it's all about what kind of mood he's in

We do at UPENN and negitive carving

ItsGavinC said:
I never said we did. I said "whether or not you and the instructor have the same political views, etc., etc."

Don't you guys talk to people around you while you are waxing?

Well, perhaps your professor is trying to show you that talking openly in a clinical setting about abortion or gay marriage or tax breaks or whatever you're talking about isnt in your best interest as a dentist. I doubt you would want to discuss your political views to your dental assistant while working on a patient who may not share those same views. Its probably better as a student to learn NOW when not to talk about certain things, and when you can.

Theres a time and a place, and a clincial setting is not one of them (even pre-clin).

Bickle said:
Theres a time and a place, and a clincial setting is not one of them (even pre-clin).

I disagree completely. Pre-clinical lab is an excellent time to shoot the breeze with buddies. We talk everything from sports to movies to politics (the final presidential debate was here a few weeks ago).

Clinical setting is different due to patients.

Bickle said:
Well, perhaps your professor is trying to show you that talking openly in a clinical setting about abortion or gay marriage or tax breaks or whatever you're talking about isnt in your best interest as a dentist. I doubt you would want to discuss your political views to your dental assistant while working on a patient who may not share those same views. Its probably better as a student to learn NOW when not to talk about certain things, and when you can.

Dude, why are you such a friggin' drag?

You think it's polically incorrect to talk politics in pre-clinical labs? Pull that stick out of your ass :thumbdown:

ItsGavinC said:
I disagree completely. Pre-clinical lab is an excellent time to shoot the breeze with buddies. We talk everything from sports to movies to politics (the final presidential debate was here a few weeks ago).

Clinical setting is different due to patients.

Yeah, but arent we in preclin to get ready for clinical work?? I find myself watching what i say all the time.

BTW, i talk to my buddies too in pre clin, movies, plans for the holidays, stuff like that, but heated political conversations....no.

psiyung said:

You think it's polically incorrect to talk politics in pre-clinical labs? Pull that stick out of your ass :thumbdown:

Either add something relavent to the discussion, or STFU. You pick. :smuggrin:

Bickle said:
Yeah, but arent we in preclin to get ready for clinical work?? I find myself watching what i say all the time.

BTW, i talk to my buddies too in pre clin, movies, plans for the holidays, stuff like that, but heated political conversations....no.

Yeah, what you say makes sense.

psiyung said:

I tend to agree when the political discussions are regarding the field of dentistry or healthcare as a whole. Let's take Florida for example. I would like my patients to realize the full scope of Amend proposal #8 which would seek to have three-strikes and you're out med-mal judgements. Or how about having your patient understand the political implications of the hygiene practitioner program.

Political discussions with patients regarding healthcare that seek to improve their overall Dental IQ are completely meritable IMO. Now discussions about W and Iraq or Kerry and his lesbian comments would probably be best to safe for when you are in private practice :). Professors do tend to swing a little to the left, so if you're gonna bring up right-wing ideology, it would get you into trouble (almost did for me ;))

-Mike

Am I a little late?
But at ucla, we have just finished our wax up lab.
That's so much fun.
Then, next quarter, we will have operative
and spring quarter, fix.

ecdoesit said:
Am I a little late?
But at ucla, we have just finished our wax up lab.
That's so much fun.
Then, next quarter, we will have operative
and spring quarter, fix.
Do you guys only spend a single quarter on preclinical fixed pros?(!?!?) It's a year-long sequence for us.

Hum, I m not sure. I just heard about this sequence from my big sib and other D2 students.
Do we suppose to get a whole year before we practice on each other/patients?

we do wax ups at Iowa as well: #8, #4, #14 and #19, then we start on operative in november

aphistis said:
Do you guys only spend a single quarter on preclinical fixed pros?(!?!?) It's a year-long sequence for us.

We only spent from 9/7 - 10/22 (7 weeks), but it was every day for 7-8 hours, depending on the day. I think it came out to ~250 hours of actual lab time.

How does that compare to the year-long plan?

ItsGavinC said:
We only spent from 9/7 - 10/22 (7 weeks), but it was every day for 7-8 hours, depending on the day. I think it came out to ~250 hours of actual lab time.

How does that compare to the year-long plan?
Our fixed pros module meets once a week for a while, then twice a week the rest of the year. Figure 30 weeks @ 4 hours/session, times 2 sessions/week = 240 hours, plus 10 weeks @ 4 hours/week, comes out to 280 hours. That's not including extracurricular hours, which by the instructors' own estimates doubles the amount of time required for the course.

So I guess that leaves us at 280 scheduled hours, 560 total hours.

Here at NYU we do 3 hours twice a week (6 hours) for our labs, which started in early october. We basically do only wax-ups (one stone cast lab).

So I guess that works out to around 9 weeks X 6 hours per week=54 hours this semester. That course is a mammoth and includes dental anatomy lectures, biomaterials lectures, and health promotion lectures and labs.

Next semester I believe we do operative.

aphistis said:
So I guess that leaves us at 280 scheduled hours, 560 total hours.

LOL. I know what you mean about instructors.

I'm trying to get a feel for some of our courses by comparison to those around the country. We had about 20 hours of lecture, so we were probably around 270 hours of total time for the course, which at least puts us in the ballpark of where you guys will be.

But seriously, 2nd year is so fun and so cush that it's amazing.

mike3kgt said:
Professors do tend to swing a little to the left, so if you're gonna bring up right-wing ideology, it would get you into trouble (almost did for me ;))

-Mike

You swung the wrong way, didn't you? :laugh: :laugh: