Which schools I should apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this thread would be helpful to a lot of people with similar stats.
Any thoughts on which schools I should apply to?
CGPA 3.6, SGPA 3.5, No DAT yet, applying right after undergrad, nothing speacial, one summer of research w/no published work, lots of ECs, shadowing, recommendations should be OK.

I am applying to UNC b/c I'm in-state. Here are the ones I am thinking about:

VCU
NOVA
Columbia
UPenn
Harvard
UCLA
UCSF
USC

I am looking to apply to 5-6 schools. I know most would be quite a stretch with my stats and that is why I need your help to decide which ones are good fits. I'll also take any suggestions about schools I could add to that list.

Members don't see this ad.

schmick said:
CGPA 3.6, SGPA 3.5, No DAT yet, applying right after undergrad, nothing speacial, one summer of research w/no published work, lots of ECs, shadowing, recommendations should be OK.

VCU
NOVA
Columbia
UPenn
Harvard
UCLA
UCSF
USC

I am looking to apply to 5-6 schools. I know most would be quite a stretch with my stats and that is why I need your help to decide which ones are good fits. I'll also take any suggestions about schools I could add to that list.

I have similar stats and I wouldn't waste your money on Harvard, UCLA, or UCSF.

Why?

Harvard: They look for amazing stats + research + other special stuff. So if you're the above average applicant (which you are), without the special stuff (i.e. overseas dental outreach, etc. etc.), then you're wasting your time.

UCLA/UCSF: these schools are only looking at taking out-of-staters that are the cream of the crop. Knock these schools off your list and replace them with a couple private schools. I don't really see many safety schools on your list. Maybe you should add NYU, BU, or temple.

Of course, if you get your DAT scores back and do really well 23+, then maybe you could add the schools above.

Just my opinion.

heres what i've come up with for my list? I'm from a state that already has 2 schools, which i'm applying to, but i'm also applying to others. It's kinda tricky to figure out which schools are really fair ground......anyone got any input on my list?

Undergraduate GPA 3.3, 20/21/17 AA/TS/PA, graduate GPA 4.0

thanks

Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (AZ) AZ
Boston University School of Medicine (BU) MA
Case Western Reserve University (CWR) OH
Creighton University (CRE) NE
Marquette University (MQT) WI
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) FL
Tufts University (TUF) MA
University of Louisville (UL) KY
University of Maryland, Baltimore (MYD) MD
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) NV
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP) CA

Members don't see this ad :)
SirShagaLot said:
heres what i've come up with for my list? I'm from a state that already has 2 schools, which i'm applying to, but i'm also applying to others. It's kinda tricky to figure out which schools are really fair ground......anyone got any input on my list?

thanks

I think most of those are good places to apply. Have you considered Virginia?

schmick said:

VCU
NOVA
Columbia
UPenn
Harvard
UCLA
UCSF
USC

UCLA and UCSF are probably a waste because you are out of state. Harvard will only be reasonable if you NAIL your DAT. Honestly, I wouldn't apply to any of them.

UNC, VCU, Nova are definitely good choices.

You might want to look into Louisville; they take a good number of out of staters.

SirShagaLot said:

thanks

good list. pacific is probably a reacy with a 17 PAT, but we all need 1 or 2 reach schools on our list. unlv is pretty tough to get into from out of state.

organichemistry said:
good list. pacific is probably a reacy with a 17 PAT, but we all need 1 or 2 reach schools on our list. unlv is pretty tough to get into from out of state.

thanks for checkin it out....i need to drop 2 schools anyways so I dont overdraft when I pay my fee..lol......i prob. drop UNLV from my list, not sure which other one to drop though.....mabye baltimore too, thats just too far away for me......might add Virginia though...thats a borderline overdraft right there :luck: :luck: :luck:

schmick said:

VCU
NOVA
Columbia
UPenn
Harvard
UCLA
UCSF
USC

If I were you I'd definitely apply to UCLA (especially if your DAT scores are also good). Also, check with Ms Benitez (the admissions coordinator @UCLA). She may be able to tell you what your chances are.

whiskeysour said:
I have similar stats and I wouldn't waste your money on Harvard, UCLA, or UCSF...

You never know. Best thing to do: call the admissions coordinators and ask them if in the past they've accepted applicants with similar stats & background. Harvard, UCLA, and UCSF are very very good schools but you don't have to have a 4.0 GPA and DAT=30 to get accepted.

dat_student said:
You never know. Best thing to do: call the admissions coordinators and ask them if in the past they've accepted applicants with similar stats & background. Harvard, UCLA, and UCSF are very very good schools but you don't have to have a 4.0 GPA and DAT=30 to get accepted.

true, but if you don't have a 3.7+ and a 22+ then you probably need some other hook, like published research, extensive work in dentistry and volunteering, etc.

organichemistry said:
true, but if you don't have a 3.7+ and a 22+ then you probably need some other hook, like published research, extensive work in dentistry and volunteering, etc.

I think it's best to check with the admissions coordinators before drawing any conclusions.

Well, Harvard is a reach school for most anyway. Realistically, I am considering Louisville; but are they tougher on out of staters. Also I heard NYU is a good safe school, but tuition is high as hell. Does anyone know the chances of an out of stater getting into state schools such as SUNY Buffalo and UNC with a 3.78, 22/22/17. I'm aware that UoP is a reach because of the low PA score :(

schmick said:

VCU
NOVA
Columbia
UPenn
Harvard
UCLA
UCSF
USC

Like several others have said, forget Harvard, UCLA, and UCSF. You have a good shot at the rest of those schools on your list...if you're looking for a few others to add, you should consider Maryland, Louisville, Pitt, and Tufts. With your stats (and the fact that youre instate) I think you'll probably get into UNC. UNC is a great school...too good to pass up for the cost of in-state tuition. Also, don't feel like you have to apply to a ton of schools...remember that its expensive and a huge hassle to attend interviews so don't bother applying somewhere that you really couldn't see your self going.

Could I get some advice, too? If so, that would be so great.

I'm a Neurobiology major with a 3.52 CGPA, 3.48 SGPA, and no DAT yet (plan on taking it mid- or end-July). I've had ~45 hours of community service, ~245 hours of volunteering for a dentist, 3 quarters of undergraduate research with a neurologist (w/no published work) so far, and been in a couple clubs.

I'm a California resident, and the following are what schools I'm thinking about applying to:

UCLA
UCSF
UOP
Loma Linda
USC
Boston
Columbia
NYU
Tufts
UPenn

Any schools I should take off? Or add on? I might add that I aunt and uncle just recently graduated dental school from Loma Linda, would that be of any help? Thanks in advance!

SheGotGame said:
Could I get some advice, too? If so, that would be so great.

I'm a Neurobiology major with a 3.52 CGPA, 3.48 SGPA, and no DAT yet (plan on taking it mid- or end-July). I've had ~45 hours of community service, ~245 hours of volunteering for a dentist, 3 quarters of undergraduate research with a neurologist (w/no published work) so far, and been in a couple clubs.

I'm a California resident, and the following are what schools I'm thinking about applying to:

UCLA
UCSF
UOP
Loma Linda
USC
Boston
Columbia
NYU
Tufts
UPenn

Any schools I should take off? Or add on? I might add that I aunt and uncle just recently graduated dental school from Loma Linda, would that be of any help? Thanks in advance!

Sounds good. I'd add UMDNJ because the school has no preference for NJ residents. Plus, you can pay in-state tuition.

Thanks for all the input. I truly appreciate it. So right now the list looks more like that:
UNC
VCU
UPenn
Columbia
NOVA
BostonU or NYU
UMDNJ - gotta look at it
Keep the comments coming.

I would really like to apply to Harvard and
UCLA, just to give them a shot, but we'll see once I get closer to the dat. I might turn out to have something to hook them up - leadership, background, I don't know.

how much shadowing experience do you have?

Yeyyy said:
how much shadowing experience do you have?
About 70-80 hours and one of my parents is a dentist.

prez_al said:
Well, Harvard is a reach school for most anyway. Realistically, I am considering Louisville; but are they tougher on out of staters. Also I heard NYU is a good safe school, but tuition is high as hell. Does anyone know the chances of an out of stater getting into state schools such as SUNY Buffalo and UNC with a 3.78, 22/22/17. I'm aware that UoP is a reach because of the low PA score :(

UNC would be very tough to get into as an out of stater, even with those numbers. Check predents.com to see what i mean.

Buffalo may be a bit easier, but even that is a reach for an out of stater.