Which schools require GREs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hondapride

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools require GREs? I just got the Columbia secondary and there is a spot for GRE.......

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that too. I don't think it's a requirement....

Can anyone verify that GRE is not needed to apply to Columbia? I couldnt find anything through search or on their website. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools require GREs? I just got the Columbia secondary and there is a spot for GRE.......

A lot of schools seem to ask for the GREs even though they don't require them, and most outright state that they are entirely optional and it won't hurt you if you don't have them.

The only exception I can think of is Harvard, which seems to imply on their website that it would be preferable: "The M.D.-Ph.D. Program does not require the GRE. However, some graduate programs prefer it in lieu of the MCAT. Other funding agencies also require the GRE in future years when students may wish to apply for scholarship support. Most students prefer to take the GRE to have a score report on record when they need it."

Ohio State
University of Illinois (UC not UIC)
University of North Dakota (wesbite is ambiguous)

Ohio State

Actually, Ohio State does not require the GRE for its Integrated Biomedical Science Graduate Program (IBGP), even though they say it's "desirable" (whatver that means). One of my friends, who definitely did not take the GRE, interviewed for MD-PhD at tOSU last year. Many/most of the "outside" graduate programs that MD/PhDers can take part in, however (Chemistry, for instance), do require the GRE and do not accept the MCAT in lieu.

Go Bucks, btw

Actually, Ohio State does not require the GRE for its Integrated Biomedical Science Graduate Program (IBGP), even though they say it's "desirable" (whatver that means). One of my friends, who definitely did not take the GRE, interviewed for MD-PhD at tOSU last year. Many/most of the "outside" graduate programs that MD/PhDers can take part in, however (Chemistry, for instance), do require the GRE and do not accept the MCAT in lieu.

Go Bucks, btw

Sorry about that, I guess I didn't read it closely enough

Sorry about that, I guess I didn't read it closely enough

Well, I have to say, the program could be a little less ambiguous about this. In the secondary notice email, the "Special Instructions for MD-PhD applicants" note makes it seem like one does need the GRE for admission into a graduate program. This scared the crap out of me for a minute or two. Only by digging through the IBGP webpage did I find confirmation that multiple admissions tests are not required for OSU acceptance. Whew.

The only exception I can think of is Harvard, which seems to imply on their website that it would be preferable: "The M.D.-Ph.D. Program does not require the GRE. However, some graduate programs prefer it in lieu of the MCAT.

At almost all MD/PhD programs it's not a problem at all to join any biomedical science graduate program you choose. This isn't necessarily true at Harvard. The grad schools are so competitive for some areas that they have limited spots and don't just take MD/PhDs without question. As such, just because you're accepted to their MD/PhD program doesn't actually mean you'll get into the graduate program you want. You may actually have to apply separately.

Other funding agencies also require the GRE in future years when students may wish to apply for scholarship support. Most students prefer to take the GRE to have a score report on record when they need it."

I'd like to see an example of this. I don't know of any that will take applications from MD/PhDs that require the GRE. The F30, for example, certainly does not. I would disagree with this statement and they're probably putting it in there in part to justify why their school is one of the very few who would like to see a GRE.

Ohio State

I'm an undergrad at UIUC and very involved in the pre M.D. Ph.D. club on campus. They only require the GRE in certain areas for graduate work. Namely anything outside of the sciences because at UIUC you can be in the MSP getting your M.D. and your Ph.D. in something random like art history.

I'm an undergrad at UIUC and very involved in the pre M.D. Ph.D. club on campus. They only require the GRE in certain areas for graduate work. Namely anything outside of the sciences because at UIUC you can be in the MSP getting your M.D. and your Ph.D. in something random like art history.

I am an Illinois resident, so I am very happy to hear this! However, UIUC, much like OSU, does not have the most straight-forward website

BTW, I've been meaning to ask this for quite a while: do you know if it is possible to apply to the M.D., Ph.D. program at UIC and UIUC?

I am an Illinois resident, so I am very happy to hear this! However, UIUC, much like OSU, does not have the most straight-forward website

BTW, I've been meaning to ask this for quite a while: do you know if it is possible to apply to the M.D., Ph.D. program at UIC and UIUC?

It is a joint program. If you make it into the MSP at U of I then you do all of your 8 years in Champaign-Urbana. Whereas if you only do MD then you get sent to either Chicago OR Champaign-Urbana for MS-1 & 2 and then are either in Chicago (if you went to Chicago MS-1 & 2) OR Peoria, Springfield, Rockford or C-U (If you went to C-U for MS-1 & 2) for MS-3 & 4.

BUT as aforementioned M.D./Ph.D. students stay in C-U the entire time. This gives them the best facilities for graduate study.

It is a joint program. If you make it into the MSP at U of I then you do all of your 8 years in Champaign-Urbana. Whereas if you only do MD then you get sent to either Chicago OR Champaign-Urbana for MS-1 & 2 and then are either in Chicago (if you went to Chicago MS-1 & 2) OR Peoria, Springfield, Rockford or C-U (If you went to C-U for MS-1 & 2) for MS-3 & 4.

BUT as aforementioned M.D./Ph.D. students stay in C-U the entire time. This gives them the best facilities for graduate study.

Thanks for the post, but let me clarify my question. I know you cannot apply to UIC and, say, the Peoria-track for M.D., but rather you apply to U of I and then based on your choice (and availability of spots) you are assigned a site. However, UIC and UIUC have separate MD PhD programs, so is it possible to apply to both, or do you apply to U of I and then chose one of the MD PhD programs?

http://www.uic.edu/com/mdphd/index.html
http://www.med.uiuc.edu/msp/

I hereby verify that Columbia does not require the GRE for admission into thier MD/PhD program.

Thanks for the post, but let me clarify my question. I know you cannot apply to UIC and, say, the Peoria-track for M.D., but rather you apply to U of I and then based on your choice (and availability of spots) you are assigned a site. However, UIC and UIUC have separate MD PhD programs, so is it possible to apply to both, or do you apply to U of I and then chose one of the MD PhD programs?

http://www.uic.edu/com/mdphd/index.html
http://www.med.uiuc.edu/msp/

Maybe they have a certain number of spots for Chicago based training, instead of C-U. However the programs are the same.