Which schools should I add??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigboikhoa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I took the suggestion of applying before I completed my DAT. At the beginning of June, I submitted my applications to UCLA, UoP, UCSF, Western, USC, Rutgers, and Maryland. Now that I finished my DAT, I am trying to figure out which other schools I should add. I am a California native, so my preference is to stay in California, but I still want to make sure I have enough schools just in case. I was thinking about adding Roseman, Tufts, NOVA, and Creighton, or Pitt as my final 4-5 schools. Can I get some other suggestions? I chose these schools based on location, cost, and OOS acceptance rates. Am I applying to enough schools? Or am I applying to too many?

GPA: 3.9 sGPA
DAT: 24 AA, 24 TS, 22 PAT
Extra Curriculars:
Shadowing: 100 hours
Psychiatric Research(Lead Clinical Tester): 500 hours
Club sport (Officer in the club): 700 hours
Hospital/Health facility Volunteering: 370 hours
Health, Diet, Nutrition Club: 70 hours
Hobbies: Piano 15 years, Clarinet 10 years, Uke 4 years, taking apart watches, cutting hair, collegiate powerlifting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I took the suggestion of applying before I completed my DAT. At the beginning of June, I submitted my applications to UCLA, UoP, UCSF, Western, USC, Rutgers, and Maryland. Now that I finished my DAT, I am trying to figure out which other schools I should add. I am a California native, so my preference is to stay in California, but I still want to make sure I have enough schools just in case. I was thinking about adding Roseman, Tufts, NOVA, and Creighton, or UPENN as my final 4-5 schools. Can I get some other suggestions? I chose these schools based on location, cost, and OOS acceptance rates. Am I applying to enough schools? Or am I applying to too many?

GPA: 3.9 sGPA
DAT: 24 AA, 24 TS, 22 PAT
Extra Curriculars:
Shadowing: 100 hours
Psychiatric Research(Lead Clinical Tester): 500 hours
Club sport (Officer in the club): 700 hours
Hospital/Health facility Volunteering: 370 hours
Health, Diet, Nutrition Club: 70 hours
Hobbies: Piano 15 years, Clarinet 10 years, Uke 4 years, taking apart watches, cutting hair, collegiate powerlifting.
With those stats, only add more schools you like rather than "safety schools".
I applied to 15 dental programs last year and I wish I would just apply half of that number.

I would not add any more schools. You are bound to get into at least one of those schools, and I don’t think it’s worth spending more on applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with above. I had stats slightly higher than yours, applied to about 13, got invites from 8. I applied to so many because I submitted my primary at the end of August last year, but you've already submitted yours and it's already been verified. Had I applied earlier, I would've only applied to like 8 max (granted, although I spent the money on apps and secondaries, I only went to the four SoCal interviews and got into all four, so I saved on interviewing costs).

I think you're fine for the CA schools, you're bound to get into one of them. Rutgers, do you have any AP science credit that you used for pre-reqs? If so, count Rutgers out as they won't accept it even if you have upper divs (I tried this and it didn't work lol). If you want to add schools, you can add LECOM & Case/any other private school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would add 3-4 more schools. Stats are great of course but i've seen people with good stats be in for quite a shock December 1st so better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
I would add 3-4 more schools. Stats are great of course but i've seen people with good stats be in for quite a shock December 1st so better safe than sorry.
Yeah, I agree I would like to add 3-4 more. I just don't want to regret anything.

I wouldn't add any schools. California has a number of schools already and the odds are highly in your favor. Creighton and other private schools are very expensive compared to what you'll have in California. With your stats you're fine.

I’d take out NOVA, Creighton, and Pitt. I believe they’re not that OOS friendly (30% or less OOS students).

I think with your stats, you should keep Tufts and apply to a few more private schools such as Case Western, Midwestern, Colombia, Harvard, or UPENN. I have no doubt you’ll get interviews for California schools, but it doesn’t hurt to broaden your choices. Sure apps are expensive, but what is an extra $600-800 in the grand scheme of things? It’ll be more expensive to reapply next year if you don’t get in.

I’d take out NOVA, Creighton, and Pitt. I believe they’re not that OOS friendly (30% or less OOS students).

I think with your stats, you should keep Tufts and apply to a few more private schools such as Case Western, Midwestern, Colombia, Harvard, or UPENN. I have no doubt you’ll get interviews for California schools, but it doesn’t hurt to broaden your choices. Sure apps are expensive, but what is an extra $600-800 in the grand scheme of things? It’ll be more expensive to reapply next year if you don’t get in.
I was under the impression that most of these schools were out of state friendly. On the 2017 ranking database by doc toothache, it shows Creighton at 81% OOS, and Pitt at 45% OOS. I agree that Nova's OOS rates are not as high.

I agree with above. I had stats slightly higher than yours, applied to about 13, got invites from 8. I applied to so many because I submitted my primary at the end of August last year, but you've already submitted yours and it's already been verified. Had I applied earlier, I would've only applied to like 8 max (granted, although I spent the money on apps and secondaries, I only went to the four SoCal interviews and got into all four, so I saved on interviewing costs).

I think you're fine for the CA schools, you're bound to get into one of them. Rutgers, do you have any AP science credit that you used for pre-reqs? If so, count Rutgers out as they won't accept it even if you have upper divs (I tried this and it didn't work lol). If you want to add schools, you can add LECOM & Case/any other private school.

Good luck!
I don't have any AP credit that I depend on for Rutgers, so I think I'm good! I just want to apply to at least 3-4 more schools for my own piece of mind. Before the DAT, I was originally intending on applying to 15 schools, but now I have decided on 9-10 to save some money. I have currently narrowed my options to Pitt, Temple, and Tufts. What do you think? I really like their locations, have heard great things about the programs, and the OOS rates as quite decent. Pitt and Temple are especially attractive because of the lower tuition costs.

I was under the impression that most of these schools were out of state friendly. On the 2017 ranking database by doc toothache, it shows Creighton at 81% OOS, and Pitt at 45% OOS. I agree that Nova's OOS rates are not as high.
You’re probably right about creighton. I didn’t look into that school. For Pitt, I believe it’s a state school, so if you’re going to pay OOS tuition, you might as well give other privates with a 60-70% OOS students a chance. But with your stats, you should have no problem competing for a OOS spot at NOVA or Pitt.

Your stats are way above average. You should be fine without adding more schools unless you really want to go somewhere else.