Which Schools to Target

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GB4ME

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am 42 years old decided 5 years ago to change my career to become a Dr. I am a former Army officer and worked in oil exploration after I was discharged. I recently graduated with my second degree as the one I got in 2002 had a poor GPA due to multiple deaths in the family over 3 semesters. The current degree has a 3.8 GPA with sGPA as 3.85. I am studying for the mcat in early April and so far am doing well on the full practice exams. I am currently in a masters in neuroscience to get research experience and some published work. My question after this long explanation is that since my prior degree gpa will be added to to current one, the overall gpa will be below a 3.0. How do I deal with this? I’ve completely went back to school and proven myself academically but I don’t know which schools will look at this holistically instead of a raw numbers view. Please advise. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You should tell us what your practice mcat scores are and predict an official mcat range for us to go off of. Saying “doing well” is very subjective and when the mcat is such a big screener the difference between a 505 and 520 is drastic.

I think if you can get a 515+ and maintain your gpa you have a good shot at all reinvention schools and a decent one at most others except for the stats picky.

If you can get a letter writer to advocate for you and explain your undergrad troubles it’d be good. Address it in your PS, and reach out to schools that might screen on gpa.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I never looked into it in particular because I never needed it, but in general I hear all DO schools are very open to lower than 3.0 but high mcat students.

I think there is a high overlap between reinvention schools and non trad friendly schools, and you can find this in the med schools that have linkages to postbacs. Take that as an imperfect heuristic of course, since schools like UPenn and uchicago might be on there and they definitely do not like their stats going down.

The other thing I’d look for is msar and look at 10th percentile gpa to see their range. Wish I could be more helpful, but this is something I never looked into.

You'll have an interesting app. You have a lot of variables going on. Your recent GPA shows you will likely be able to handle the rigor of medical school. However, your total GPA will get you screened out by schools. I don't know if a lot of schools will screen you out or if only some will. You have your military experience which schools seem to like. However, as much as I hate to say it, you have your age working against you a bit.

How are your volunteer and clinical hours?

I think DO schools are the best to target. However, I'm not sure we can necessarily rule out MD schools. I think you'll just have to do some research and apply intelligently to them. It may come down to researching them, then calling to see if your app will be screened out or not. There will likely be some schools where the person you talk to just doesn't know and they'll encourage you to apply...then when a screener sees your cGPA, they file it in the round bin promptly. Unfortunate, but your goal is to try to avoid that situation as much as possible obviously.

Best of luck. Keep us updated on your journey.