Which schools would accept you if you aced your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destiny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that GPA/DATs would get you the interview. But which schools are known for accepting students after they aced their interview (without a strict formula), even if you somehow got the interview with low stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that GPA/DATs would get you the interview. But which schools are known for accepting students after they aced their interview (without a strict formula), even if you somehow got the interview with low stats?

Midwestern-AZ. If you somehow managed to get an interview there and they really like you, then you are in.

if a school invites you for an interview that means that they are interested in you. i would have to agree with coolslugs. you probably have the same chance as anyone that is invited to that school for an interview. Im not trying to be sarcastic, but i think its obvious that if you perform well or outstanding at your interview your chances are probably better than someone with better stats then you but has poor social skills.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think univ of michigan is known for this. Ace the 10 mini interviews and you are in

While I was interviewing at Temple I got the feeling that you can definitely get yourself a seat by acing the video.

I think univ of michigan is known for this. Ace the 10 mini interviews and you are in

What about 9 out of 10?lol I feel like I did really well on 9 out of the 10, but kinda effed up on one of them.lol

yea i have below "average" stats in terms of GPA but i feel like i did well on my interview so hopefully that counts for the most part

Well, when I interviewed at UoP, almost every student I spoke with was like..."Relax, you have to know that you are in." Plus, the faculty I interviewed with told me that about 95% of students interviewed before Dec. 1st are going to be accepted...they are just looking for major red flags.

From what I've read and heard it varies from school to school. Some schools have it figured out which students they want and give some interviewees an opportunity to plead their case with great but not stellar scores.... others its fair game all the way around.

who knows? :rolleyes:

What about 9 out of 10?lol I feel like I did really well on 9 out of the 10, but kinda effed up on one of them.lol

I dunno bud, I rocked about 7 of them. 2 went okay, and I think 1 didn't go my way at all lolz.

We will see how it turns out early December I guess.

Each school is different. At some, all interviewees are on a level playing field. At others, you are assigned an interview score which is factored in as a percentage (usually 20%-40%) of your overall application.

Each school is different. At some, all interviewees are on a level playing field. At others, you are assigned an interview score which is factored in as a percentage (usually 20%-40%) of your overall application.

Do you know which school is which?

You are going to get better answers by asking the schools you interview at about this. Most of the schools I have interviewed told me how they decide. Anything you hear here will just be hearsay, so it's probably best that you just do your own research and call the schools up.

I get that there are two schools of thought on this:

(1) Once you get an interview, you're on equal footing with everyone else who gets invited. It's solely the impression you make on interview day that will determine whether you get accepted or not.

(2) Even after you get an invite, you paper application continues to weigh into the adcom's decision. That is, your GPA, DAT, ECs, shadowing, letters, etc. still give you an advantage or disadvantage over the other people in the room on interview day.

In either case, however, I don't think that any type of school would ever interview someone whom they would not accept in the best case scenario. Why would any school waste their resources inviting someone who, even if he/she did a fantastic job on interview day, they would still reject. That just makes no sense.