Which schools wouldnt you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
120 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
186 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
121 Emory University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
123 George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci (Regular M.D.)
132 Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ. (Regular M.D.)
139 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici (Regular M.D.)
801 Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
151 New York Medical College (Regular M.D.)
152 New York University (Regular M.D.)
155 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin (Regular M.D.)
172 Temple University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
179 The University of Vermont College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
176 Tulane University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
821 Uniformed Services University of the Health Scienc (Regular M.D.)
145 University of Michigan Medical School (Regular M.D.)
153 University of North Carolina School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
163 University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den (Regular M.D.)
173 University of TN Health Science Cntr Coll. Of Med. (Regular M.D.)
181 University of Virginia School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
182 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin (Regular M.D.)
106 Wake Forest University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)

Thinking of dropping a couple schools, which would you? TN resident BTW

Members don't see this ad.

northwestern might be a waste unless your scores are super stellar....i hear 30% of applicants apply there, i think all get a secondary (more $$$ down the tubes) and get gently turned down shortly thereafter :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like many of those are on the same caliber level, so I think you could trim them down if for example you would like to live in certain areas more than others. But I don't know how to narrow them down since it depends on what you would want.

just thoughts, but...

case western: i'm an ohio resident, and from what *everyone* tells me, case=HIGH MCAT....give it a few weeks, though, you may qualify :D

northwestern: see above

north carolina: heard anecdotes about how impossible it is for non-n.c. residents to get in (you're TN, right?)

hell, you may get into any or all of these, for that matter, so "listen to your heart," or some fruity sh.t like that. :thumbup:

JunkintheTrunk said:
northwestern might be a waste unless your scores are super stellar....i hear 30% of applicants apply there, i think all get a secondary (more $$$ down the tubes) and get gently turned down shortly thereafter :rolleyes:

actually, northwestern prescreens for secondaries. so, not everyone who applies gets one.

Jefferrson--Unless you have family, friends or some connection or are a deleware resident

Ask yourself "If this is the only place I get into, would I go there?" There were several schools that I applied to that I later realized I didnt want to go to. (I took August MCAT and submitted before scores were back) I'd specifically think twice about Uniformed Service. their 2nd essay really sealed the fate of my application. It was something about "write about why you want to go into military medicine." and they allowed a similar number of characters as AMCAS for the PS. I couldnt answer it well, so I withdrew that app.

I suggest looking at the AppIntAccMat STAT thread. (Apply Interview Accept Matriculate) Or the MSAR. IT's useful to get an idea of how some (state) schools review out-of-state applications.

Just search STAT and look through the first couple of pages. Let me know if you cant find it.

Yes, people told me not to apply to Jefferson and I did anyway. Don't.

I interviewed at Jefferson and honestly had nothing against it, but as time goes by, I'm less inclined to really want to go there now. Everything's a lot older. Philadelphia is cool though, if you like that historic aspect.

Cerb: It seems like your school list lacks any kind of unifying factor (unless I've missed something, which is totally possible). Have you given any thought to urban vs. rural? Focus on research vs. primary care? It looks like you have more urban than rural schools there. If you want for sure to go urban, then scratch off the other ones. Try to get some kind of homogenous pool. Also, be careful about going to the armed forces for medical school. They'll have your balls in a vice for eight years.

Cerbernator said:
120 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
186 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
121 Emory University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
123 George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci (Regular M.D.)
132 Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ. (Regular M.D.)
139 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici (Regular M.D.)
801 Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
151 New York Medical College (Regular M.D.)
152 New York University (Regular M.D.)
155 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin (Regular M.D.)
172 Temple University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
179 The University of Vermont College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
176 Tulane University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
821 Uniformed Services University of the Health Scienc (Regular M.D.)
145 University of Michigan Medical School (Regular M.D.)
153 University of North Carolina School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
163 University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den (Regular M.D.)
173 University of TN Health Science Cntr Coll. Of Med. (Regular M.D.)
181 University of Virginia School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
182 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin (Regular M.D.)
106 Wake Forest University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)

Thinking of dropping a couple schools, which would you? TN resident BTW

I started a list of "schools with a reasonable chance of acceptance" two months ago I think or a month and a half ago. Run a search for that. I like your list, but I'd drop UNC.

JH

I don't really get this post. Schools that you shouldn't apply too? Do you have bad stats or something? Non of these schools seem like they are top ranked schools that pick solely on numbers and from IVY undergrads.

Thanks guys, here are some things:

I am not dead set on urban, though i tend to prefer it since lots of rural area schools kind of suck. The schools I chose that aren't in Urban areas are in cities I wouldnt mind living in.

I am definitely NOT going primary care (sights currently set on surg).

What is wrong with Jefferson? What about Loyola?

As for UNC, I am applying there despite the odds just because I like the school and love NC. I know i have next to know chance of getting in there:)

Cerbernator said:
Thanks guys, here are some things:

I am not dead set on urban, though i tend to prefer it since lots of rural area schools kind of suck. The schools I chose that aren't in Urban areas are in cities I wouldnt mind living in.

I am definitely NOT going primary care (sights currently set on surg).

What is wrong with Jefferson? What about Loyola?

As for UNC, I am applying there despite the odds just because I like the school and love NC. I know i have next to know chance of getting in there:)

Add Duke then, too.

Don't worry too much about their SECONDARY OF DOOM.

Problem with jeff is just what I said. Unless you have ties or are a DE resident, you recieve less consideration.

I disagree about Jeff. I have no ties to the school, I am a Colorado resident, and not a stellar applicant (good EC's good MCAT, Science GPA 3.29 and culm GPA 3.4) yet they interviewed me on September 17. I was high priority waitlisted so if I maintained interest and sent a letter of intent I would of probably been accepted. Of course I preferred to stay in Colorado so once I was accepted at CO I stopped demonstrating interest.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to apply to Vanderbilt since you are from TN? Was it for a reason or just because you didn't have room?

Id drop UNC, you say youre deadset on not doing primary care, and UNC is known for being a primary care institution (in addition to being impossible to get into out of state). If you want to specialize in NC, Duke or Wake is where to go.

VCU, UVA, and Vermont, I dont know the in-state/out-of-state acceptance percentages there, but if I had to drop 4 schools from your list, I would do UNC, VCU, Vermont, and UVA in that order. Out of state publics can get not only expensive, but are oftentimes harder to get into than an equally or more highly regarded private school.

State preference matters a lot, so its worth looking into at the percentages. Remember, Emory accepts like 50% in-state GA, so even private schools sometimes have those kinds of arrangements, so as a TN resident it would probably be best to avoid wasting time and money on schools that are 75% or more in-state by law. Also a lot of these state schools are primary care oriented, so just keep that in mind. Im not saying you cant specialize at one of these schools, theyre all really really good, but the support and curriculum and rotations are directed towards primary care.