Which Science class?

studybunny6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
For my school I only need 3 credits of science to graduate. So I've already taken Biology and Physical Science (which I took as a 9th grader and it included some chemistry and phsycis). So I need to find one more science class to take next year for my junior year.

So here are my choices:
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry 1
Physics 1
Adv Pl Biology (chemistry 1 is recommended to take)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!
For my school I only need 3 credits of science to graduate. So I've already taken Biology and Physical Science (which I took as a 9th grader and it included some chemistry and phsycis). So I need to find one more science class to take next year for my junior year.

So here are my choices:
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry 1
Physics 1
Since you are posting here on SDN, I assume you have plans to eventually go to medical school? If so, then I would suggest taking both Chemistry 1 AND Physics 1 in high school so that you have some exposure before you go to college. You pretty much need to ace both in college and no prior experience will make it all the more difficult.

Since you are posting here on SDN, I assume you have plans to eventually go to medical school? If so, then I would suggest taking both Chemistry 1 AND Physics 1 in high school so that you have some exposure before you go to college. You pretty much need to ace both in college and no prior experience will make it all the more difficult.

Yes I do want to go to medical school. I know how difficult it will be in college but I can only pick one to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the easiest one so you can enjoy high school as much as possible. You will not remember or be taught enough for them to help you that much for college chem or physics. Anatomy was my favorite college level science course, but I am sure you can ask around and find out which teacher has the easiest class of the choices and go with that.

I'd recommend Chemistry, Physics AND Physiology. BUT if you have to choose 1 i would go with chemistry. This is assuming you have a strong math background otherwise go for Physics

Reactions: 1 user
I'd recommend Chemistry, Physics AND Physiology. BUT if you have to choose 1 i would go with chemistry. This is assuming you have a strong math background otherwise go for Physics

thanks but physics is more math based than chemistry I believe.

Strongly concur. Although anatomy and physiology may seem more interesting to you at this point, doing well in college chemistry and physics is essential to ensuring a strong future medical school application. Early exposure to chem and phys could definitely help in your college classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Strongly concur. Although anatomy and physiology may seem more interesting to you at this point, doing well in college chemistry and physics is essential to ensuring a strong future medical school application. Early exposure to chem and phys could definitely help in your college classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What about early exposure to Bio, more specifically AP Bio?

Hi guys!

So here are my choices:
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry 1
Physics 1

If you are serious about getting into medical school you DO need to take all of these classes. Drop your study hall or lunch hour or whatever. If it means staying in school for an extra hour, that's OK. You need to jam as much science in as you can. Ignore the advice from Go Pokes 11. You need to prepare yourself as well as you can for college. As a college freshman you need to come out smokin' and bury your competitors. The best way to ace your freshman classes is to know the material before you even start college. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are serious about getting into medical school you DO need to take all of these classes. Drop your study hall or lunch hour or whatever. If it means staying in school for an extra hour, that's OK. You need to jam as much science in as you can. Ignore the advice from Go Pokes 11. You need to prepare yourself as well as you can for college. As a college freshman you need to come out smokin' and bury your competitors. The best way to ace your freshman classes is to know the material before you even start college. Good luck.

This is unnecessarily harsh advice for a 15-16 year old. The sky will not fall if you don't take all of these classes. That said, I bet that most kids who make it to medical school took more than the required number of science credits in high school. You should prepare yourself for the first year of college pre-med studies, which generally includes general chemistry and biology. To do that, take the chem 1 class junior year and then take the AP Bio class senior year. The basic biology and general chemistry will never stop, even through your first two years of med school, so it will help to have as much exposure and repetition as possible. Obnoxious Dad, though obnoxious, is right about that.

The physics you will need to fulfill the pre-med requirement and do well on the MCAT is easy. By the time you reach the point in college when you'll take it, you probably won't have any problem with it. So only take physics if you feel like it (it's a great class). Don't bother with A&P in high school (or college, for that matter) unless you're really interested. You won't learn enough to give yourself a leg up on anyone, and you'll learn all the anatomy and physiology you need in medical school.

Don't drop your study hall or (god forbid) your lunch. Hopefully your counselor and your parents wouldn't let you do that anyway. Take some time to eat a good lunch, rest, and talk to your friends during the day.

Hi guys!

So here are my choices:
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry 1
Physics 1

If you're going to be a junior, It would be reasonable to take chem 1, physics 1, and if time Anatomy & Physiology before you graduate. I never had a study hall, and also I never looked at my high school schedule and said "I ONLY need x more credits of science". Rather, I looked at it as "hey I only have to take the minimum number of other stupid classes I don't care about to make the most time for science related courses". I say don't take AP bio because at my undergrad AP bio did not get you out of all of bio for any science major AND some med schools like to see people take the normal bio track vs. a shortened track with AP bio during undergrad.

Don't drop lunch (how would they allow this?), and when you're in these classes try to learn it right the first time as it will keep coming back in undergrad, on the mcat, and to a minute degree in preclinical years of med school and research. Right now, it is more important you learn chem and physics well vs. Anatomy & physiology, because chem and physics are more important for undergrad and med school app whereas A&P more important when in medical school (but I'd highly recommend taking these in undergrad as they are fun). Also, hope your chemistry teacher challenges you because this will help you in undergrad (my accel chem course, taught by a teacher who was a college prof previously in England, was harder than my undergrad gen chem, making undergrad gen chem easy).

More important than any course selection right now is learning how to manage your time, learning how you learn, and learning how to efficiently take in and retain information with an understanding that you can explain to someone vs. just a regurgitation of memorized items. The earlier you do this, the more successful you'll be in undergrad, and the more time you'll have for fun in undergrad. The more fun you have in undergrad (to a point), the more "normal" you will be, which will come across positively in med school interviews = success. So, learning how to learn is way more important that what you are learning at this early point in your journey. best of luck.

mcworbust is absolutely right in every way, except for maybe giving up lunch. :) Whenever I see some poster tell a high school kid, who wants to go to med school, to take it easy in high school and then major in Physics and Materials Science, at the toughest school to which he or she has been admitted, I have to believe that poster is a troll. The same is true when I see kids advised to take AP credit or college honors courses. The key in high school is to make your first year of college a repeat of high school. In college you must get every A you can. This is a numbers game. If you don't have the numbers, you won't get interviewed. It's cruel and stupid, but that's the way it is.

mcworbust is absolutely right in every way, except for maybe giving up lunch. :) Whenever I see some poster tell a high school kid, who wants to go to med school, to take it easy in high school and then major in Physics and Materials Science, at the toughest school to which he or she has been admitted, I have to believe that poster is a troll. The same is true when I see kids advised to take AP credit or college honors courses. The key in high school is to make your first year of college a repeat of high school. In college you must get every A you can. This is a numbers game. If you don't have the numbers, you won't get interviewed. It's cruel and stupid, but that's the way it is.

Thanks!
I'd agree with you on the following:
- posters who tell students to chill at any level of education and then subsequently take on the hardest route possible (hardest major, hardest school) are indeed giving bad advice.
- it is a numbers game, and if you don't have numbers you wont get interviewed BUT if you are only numbers you won't get admitted. med schools have the luxury of having many qualified applicants, so if all you have to show for your undergrad experience is a GPA you won't be as interesting to admission committees as other students who clearly grew as people during their undergrad years - basically, GPA is very important, but one down semester (ie down to maybe a 3.3, from personal experience) is possible to recover from and is worth it if you are cultivating other interests that shape who you are.

I'd slightly disagree on a few things:
- If someone is a proven hard worker in high school and enjoys the content of a major that is traditionally hard, I wouldn't dissuade them from pursuing a "hard" major because doing something you enjoy will provide more fulfillment and success then doing something easy that you're uninterested in to get by with a high GPA. I say this because there are many biology majors out there that did biology cuz it was easy thinking it was a good path to med school, but then didn't get into med school and now have a bio major that they weren't super passionate about in the first place (One of my majors was a bio major, so I know these people well). For high schoolers at the beginning of their journey, I'd value doing something you're interested in because that makes it easy as you are motivated to learn, and not everyone who comes in as a pre-med will conclude that it is really for them in the end.
- AP credits can be a great thing to give you more time in undergrad to do what you want, but before taking AP courses in high school, students should check with their top 2 or so choices for undergrad to understand which AP courses get them what credit based on what score they get on AP test. They should know that usually the core courses required by med schools should be taken at a 4 year university (so these AP classes aren't as good of a time investment as others as you'll need to take those classes again in UG for med school admissions).
- College honors courses get a bad rap, but I happened to be in an honors biology track at my UG that helped me develop into a productive researcher and challenged me in a way that was very helpful for my preclinical coursework in med school. Again, I was excited about the material, so I wanted to do the work, so I did well enough GPA-wise and it worked out. Don't do college honors just to show off that you got honors (at least for med school admissions), do honors for the challenging learning and research opportunities and the opportunity to take more individual responsibility in learning about what you are really passionate about.
- Making first year of undergrad a repeat of high school isn't the worst idea, but, for example if you already tested out of algebra, don't take algebra again in undergrad just for the A! I think that's such a waste of time - time that would be better spent simply studying more for the classes you are taking, or doing other things you might be interested in (volunteering, shadowing, clinical work, research, etc). I'd instead say take a lighter load freshman year so you can learn how to learn/work on efficiency and these things will result in better grades in the long term (over the 4 years) vs. getting a few extra A's because you're repeating high school material. But to each his own...

Sorry for the long post, it's just that many high schoolers enter this process with a 1 track mind and i would instead encourage everyone to take stock of what you're really interested in as this is the path to happiness, which is the path to success in whatever career path you choose.