Which SMP and post bacc should I apply to...low GPA

Started by 1628G
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1628G

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I recently finished undergrad 2 months ago (December 2020) with a 3.05 science GPA and 3.33 cumulative GPA. I have been studying for the MCAT...hoping to take it in April. I was looking to start some type of SMP or post-bacc this fall. My extracurriculars aren't too crazy either: volunteered for a semester in the surgery/trauma ICU at a hospital (got 35 hours of service), did a summer service internship at my local hospital (volunteered in 4 diff placements- surgery center, outpatient access, general services, cancer center and got 140 hours of service), was a research assistant for a semester (not in a lab setting. analyzed whether alcohol/cannabis were consumed as substitutes or complements by looking at data from DNA that was collected beforehand), was a teaching assistant for a semester for a bio class, and I have a few non-medically related volunteer experiences.
Does anyone have any advice on what types of programs I could look into....I know I'm going to have to crush my MCAT. It would be a dream if I could start med school in 2022. I just don't really know what types of programs would be best suited for me/my situation. Any input would be helpful, thank you. Pls be nice :/
 
Hi everyone. I recently finished undergrad 2 months ago (December 2020) with a 3.05 science GPA and 3.33 cumulative GPA. I have been studying for the MCAT...hoping to take it in April. I was looking to start some type of SMP or post-bacc this fall. My extracurriculars aren't too crazy either: volunteered for a semester in the surgery/trauma ICU at a hospital (got 35 hours of service), did a summer service internship at my local hospital (volunteered in 4 diff placements- surgery center, outpatient access, general services, cancer center and got 140 hours of service), was a research assistant for a semester (not in a lab setting. analyzed whether alcohol/cannabis were consumed as substitutes or complements by looking at data from DNA that was collected beforehand), was a teaching assistant for a semester for a bio class, and I have a few non-medically related volunteer experiences.
Does anyone have any advice on what types of programs I could look into....I know I'm going to have to crush my MCAT. It would be a dream if I could start med school in 2022. I just don't really know what types of programs would be best suited for me/my situation. Any input would be helpful, thank you. Pls be nice :/
Read this: