Which SMP and post bacc should I apply to...low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1628G

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently finished undergrad 2 months ago (December 2020) with a 3.05 science GPA and 3.33 cumulative GPA. I have been studying for the MCAT...hoping to take it in April. I was looking to start some type of SMP or post-bacc this fall. My extracurriculars aren't too crazy either: volunteered for a semester in the surgery/trauma ICU at a hospital (got 35 hours of service), did a summer service internship at my local hospital (volunteered in 4 diff placements- surgery center, outpatient access, general services, cancer center and got 140 hours of service), was a research assistant for a semester (not in a lab setting. analyzed whether alcohol/cannabis were consumed as substitutes or complements by looking at data from DNA that was collected beforehand), was a teaching assistant for a semester for a bio class, and I have a few non-medically related volunteer experiences.
Does anyone have any advice on what types of programs I could look into....I know I'm going to have to crush my MCAT. It would be a dream if I could start med school in 2022. I just don't really know what types of programs would be best suited for me/my situation. Any input would be helpful, thank you. Pls be nice :/

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I recently finished undergrad 2 months ago (December 2020) with a 3.05 science GPA and 3.33 cumulative GPA. I have been studying for the MCAT...hoping to take it in April. I was looking to start some type of SMP or post-bacc this fall. My extracurriculars aren't too crazy either: volunteered for a semester in the surgery/trauma ICU at a hospital (got 35 hours of service), did a summer service internship at my local hospital (volunteered in 4 diff placements- surgery center, outpatient access, general services, cancer center and got 140 hours of service), was a research assistant for a semester (not in a lab setting. analyzed whether alcohol/cannabis were consumed as substitutes or complements by looking at data from DNA that was collected beforehand), was a teaching assistant for a semester for a bio class, and I have a few non-medically related volunteer experiences.
Does anyone have any advice on what types of programs I could look into....I know I'm going to have to crush my MCAT. It would be a dream if I could start med school in 2022. I just don't really know what types of programs would be best suited for me/my situation. Any input would be helpful, thank you. Pls be nice :/
Read this:

Reactions: 1 user