Which specialties don’t really require research? (Yep I’m annoying)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloe paleo

Reaction score
I’m just entering year 1 and obviously too early for me to know EXACTLY where I want to match into but honestly research isn’t my passion and I’m curious to see which specialties don’t heavily depend on having research and all these publications?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you want in a program, the more competitive ones tend to want research. Overall, FM, IM, peds, psych, neuro, PM&R, EM, OB wont “need” it. It won’t hurt though.

I am an MD who went FM with no research.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It depends on what you want in a program, the more competitive ones tend to want research. Overall, FM, IM, peds, psych, neuro, PM&R, EM, OB wont “need” it. It won’t hurt though.

Thank you! Yah I’m still not sure where I want to be, but probably best to keep options open. Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, did you literally just study study study, or did you still have time to do things besides school to help your residency app?

Congrats on FM!

You should look at the charting outcomes for this kind of thing. There's so much information within it and probably answers many of your (future) questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m just entering year 1 and obviously too early for me to know EXACTLY where I want to match into but honestly research isn’t my passion and I’m curious to see which specialties don’t heavily depend on having research and all these publications?

You’re going to be doing a lot of things that aren’t your passion in medical school, and you’ll have zero say over it.

For your first semester, focus on getting good grades and putting together an efficient study plan. If you’re doing well, start looking at shadowing opportunities and research beginning the start of the second semester. Lots of students do research during the summer of M1.

Congrats on the acceptance!

anything surgical or derm expects research. There may be some leeway here with gen surg. Everything else is fine. No matter the field, certain programs will expect research tho. This is less of an issue as a DO because a good chunk of those places don’t take DOs anyway (although since most DOs don’t have research, you start to wonder if it’s a chicken or the egg type scenario).

Also, did you literally just study study study, or did you still have time to do things besides school to help your residency app?
Honestly i didnt study enough lol
I was the president of two clubs though and some volunteer activities

Side question: How do you demonstrate leadership skills in research, besides being first-author on something? In other words, if one isn't doing any volunteering or club, how can he/she show leadership skills on that CV?

Piggy backing off this I just won't to throw out there that without at least a little research you will close doors at some of the PM&R residencies. The specialty has struggled with lack of evidence for awhile and I think leaders in the field really want to see more people coming in with research backgrounds. Mayo, UWash, Spaulding (Harvard), and UPenn are the ones I have heard.

Depends on the program, because even in a field like peds if you are wanting a university program that pumps out good fellowships you are probably going to be expected to have research. Same with university IM.

Research will never hurt you, but not having it could hurt you quite a bit depending on what you are going for.

Reactions: 3 users
Side question: How do you demonstrate leadership skills in research, besides being first-author on something? In other words, if one isn't doing any volunteering or club, how can he/she show leadership skills on that CV?

Leading a team of younger, either pre Med or pre-clinical Med students, through a project and getting it published shows leadership

I am in a peds fellowship and started last year with another 60 fellows at my hospital with at least half having never done research before. it is required in fellowship but you can easily make it through all the major residencies without research.

however if you are looking at specific programs that are research oriented in general, you probably won't match there. but you can be a great physician without matching at a certain program.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a peds fellowship and started last year with another 60 fellows at my hospital with at least half having never done research before. it is required in fellowship but you can easily make it through all the major residencies without research.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true thanks to the ACGME. All residents are required to complete at least one project now.

I’ve read a couple of your posts and I think you may be freaking about the amount of work that goes into med school and if you will have time for research.

Consider this: most med students do research, so most med students have time for research outside of school work. We also have time for hanging out with family, extracurriculars, volunteering etc. at first it’s going to seem like you have to study all the time but you will figure out your system and it will get easier.

I just finished first year and no, I don’t study all the time.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true thanks to the ACGME. All residents are required to complete at least one project now.

GROSS

They don't have to do a RESEARCH project, correct? Something that qualifies as scholarly activity? Because a research project is lame.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users