which state should I use in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotsahair2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I am taking step 3 before the match so i can apply for an H1B visa.
I need to mention which state I am taking the exam for. However, I am not currently in any residecny program, and don't know which state I should mention.
for example, Delaware doesn't seem to have any requirements to take step 3, so can I write Delaware?
I might work in New York, so should I mention New York? they say I should also apply for licensure. What does that mean?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

connecticut state has very few requirements. i am using it for my application. I think thats the best way to go

I'm looking to take Step 3 as an intern also...I just looked up Connecticut's licensing requirements and they have 2 years of postgraduate training listed as required...am I missing something or is there a loop-hole here?
Thanks!

From the website:
Completed at least two (2) years of progressive, post-graduate medical training as a resident physician in a program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA);

I'm looking to take Step 3 as an intern also...I just looked up Connecticut's licensing requirements and they have 2 years of postgraduate training listed as required...am I missing something or is there a loop-hole here?

This is for licensing. You're not actually applying for your license when you apply to take Step III (although some states, like NY, make you apply both for your NY license and step III at the same time). When you're done with step III, you can choose to apply for your license whenever you'd like (though that requires more money, and a ton of paperwork). So for Step III, though, CT, Deleware and many other states only require that you have completed medical school. When you go to signup on the FSMB website, there is a chart of what each state requires.

Hope this helps.