Which states require both MD and DO take the same board exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that DOs take COMLEX and MDs do USMLE. However article from this thread states something else. Or am I misunderstanding something? So which states/schools require one exam for both MDs and DOs

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=483838

"Just like M.D.s, D.O.s must pass state boards in order to practice. Each state has its own licensing requirements; some states administer the same tests to M.D.s and D.O.s, while others have separate exams for each."

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't about the COMLEX/USMLE. This is the board exam in your field, I believe.

Some states have one medical board that covers the licensing of both MDs and DOs. Generally, they don't care which test you take, USMLE or COMLEX. You can take either and get licensed in that state in most cases. However, most schools require you to take steps one and two of COMLEX to graduate anyway. States like Florida and Pennsylvania for example, have a separate osteopathic board and they require DOs to take COMLEX to get licensed. So, it wouldn't do you any good to take all three USMLE steps, even if you are a DO doing an ACGME residency there.

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify,

Currently all 50 states will accept COMLEX for licensure. None of the 50 states require usmle (for DOs) for licensure.

The following states REQUIRES comlex and will not take usmle for licensure:

California
Florida
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Vermont
West Virginia

The following states require comlex if it is your first license but are willing to take usmle if you are trying to gain licensure by state reciprocity:

Michigan
Tennessee

So, say I want to be licensed in CA. I would have to take the COMLEX to be licensed and then the USMLE just to increase my competitiveness for CA residency, right? So, the USMLE would merely be to increase my chances of getting a competitive residency and have nothing to do with my licensure?

Sorry, I'm new at this. :oops:

To clarify,

Currently all 50 states will accept COMLEX for licensure. None of the 50 states require usmle (for DOs) for licensure.

The following states REQUIRES comlex and will not take usmle for licensure:

California
Florida
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Vermont
West Virginia

The following states require comlex if it is your first license but are willing to take usmle if you are trying to gain licensure by state reciprocity:

Michigan
Tennessee

So, say I want to be licensed in CA. I would have to take the COMLEX to be licensed and then the USMLE just to increase my competitiveness for CA residency, right? So, the USMLE would merely be to increase my chances of getting a competitive residency and have nothing to do with my licensure?

Yes, that's right. The COMLEX will get you licensed in all 50 states, and is necessary for licensure in some (such as California, according to group_theory), but the USMLE is always optional for us. Additionally, some schools have a provision where it is manditory to pass the COMLEX for promotion and graduation.

(BTW, congrats on your acceptance, student doctor prionsRbad :cool:)

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me Spiced.

I sure like the way that sounds . . . student doctor prionsRbad, yes! :D

Well to add on to what has been said. Don't ALL DO schools require a passing COMLEX to graduate? If this is indeed the case, then thats taken care of before one needs to worry about licensure, because you will have had to graduate from accredited institution. :confused:

I just re-read spiced post and he comments on this as well

Yes, that's right. The COMLEX will get you licensed in all 50 states, and is necessary for licensure in some (such as California, according to group_theory), but the USMLE is always optional for us. Additionally, some schools have a provision where it is manditory to pass the COMLEX for promotion and graduation.

(BTW, congrats on your acceptance, student doctor prionsRbad :cool:)

i've also heard that 5 or so states require that you do a traditional rotating internship. if its not done then you can't practice in that state. the doc i shadowed went into family practice/sports medicine and didn't want to do the TRI. he said he got the requirement waived by giving a lecture/demonstration on OMM at a conference or something. Still, interesting that some states would have that requirement

Starting with the graduating class of 2008, students must pass Level 1 and Level 2 (both part) COMLEX in order to graduate. It is now an AOA accreditation requirement for DO schools. Prior to the Class of 2008, it was up to the school what the requirements were (some required passage of Level 2, others require merely taking it).

5 states require that you do an AOA-approved intern year in order to get a unrestricted license. You can do it as seperate AOA intern year (your traditional rotating intern year), an AOA intern year that is part of an AOA residency, or an ACGME PGY1 that is AOA-approved via Resolution 42. This is the requirement by the various state osteopathic medical boards (and as such, they are at liberty to make variations in their requirements). The five states are: Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma, West Virginia.

Finally, take a look at this site
http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

One advantage of being a DO is that some states where time limit applies for USMLE (for licensure), there is no time limit for COMLEX.

Another advantage is the minimal time requirement in residency to gain a full unrestricted license. In most states (for DOs), it is 1 year. Not so for MDs (variable and if you are IMG, definately more than 1 year).

If you are doing a residency in a state where a DO can get full licensed after 1 year but a MD can not, it means you can moonlight during your PGY2 years while your MD PGY2 colleagues cannot.

another question: so for the states that require comlex, we are only talking about comlex steps 1/2 only, right? What happens to 3?

another question: so for the states that require comlex, we are only talking about comlex steps 1/2 only, right? What happens to 3?

You take COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2 while in school. You take COMLEX Level 3 at some point during residency (ideally intern year).

Same thing with USMLE - you take Step 1 and Step 2 during school, and USMLE Step 3 at some point afterwards. Registration for USMLE Step 3 is a bit more complicated as it requires registering through the various state's medical board.