which subspeciality ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye dude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that ophtha is a medical and surgical speciality but which one of Ophthalmology subspecialitis that is mostly surgical and which one is mostly medical ??? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Mostly medical would be neuro and uveitis. But all the subspecialties have medical components. Even if you are in neuro-ophthalmology, you can perform surgically as a comprehensive, plus the procedures learned in your fellowship.

So, how surgically oriented you are depends how how your practice is set up.

aha I see thanks JMK ,,, well other than practice which fellowship is considered mostly surgical or relatively more surgeries than other fellowships?? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
aha I see thanks JMK ,,, well other than practice which fellowship is considered mostly surgical or relatively more surgeries than other fellowships?? :D

Typically retina and plastics are more surgical

Not medical retina ;)

Fellowships can also vary widely within that particular subspecialty in terms of surgical volume, the same among ophthalmology residency. So, first pick a surgical subspecialty that you like. Really, most of them will have surgical aspects to them. Then you can narrow down with programs will be the best fit for you.

aha cool ,,thanks guys for your help :cool: