Which surgeons have the best hands?

Started by Frogger27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Vote!

  • Neurosurgery

    Votes: 61 30.7%
  • Plastics

    Votes: 28 14.1%
  • ENT

    Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Urology

    Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Ortho

    Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Vascular

    Votes: 14 7.0%
  • Ophtho

    Votes: 26 13.1%
  • Congenital heart

    Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 9 4.5%

  • Total voters
    199
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
F2.medium.gif

There is an anesthesiologist somewhere with an IQ of 60.
There's no way that's true, must have been drunk/half asleep/randomly choosing answers on the IQ test or something like that
 
Instead of asking which surgeons have the best hands, it may have been more useful to ask which surgical procedure requires the steadiest hands.

But to answer the question - Ophthalmology. And in my opinion, it's not even close. Neurosurgery, Ortho, and Vascular might have long surgeries, but the delicacy required in Ophthalmology might be unrivaled.

Check out the details regarding a partial thickness corneal transplant called a DMEK (descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty) in which the descemet membrane and endothelial layer of the patient's cornea (10-15 microns thick) is replaced by a donor graft.

Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK)

But it's still a terrible question. You should do what you like, and then do it to the best of your technical ability. There are incredibly challenging operations in all surgical specialties, and doing even a routine case flawlessly is probably beyond most people's ability. Caring about which surgical specialty requires the "perfect hands" is one of the most premed things I've seen on allo (oops I mean whatever the new name is) in a while.

Agree with above, the question should have been framed as "which surgical procedures require the steadiest hands or which surgical subspecialty requires the steadiest hands as a whole?".

But with all due respect, I did not ask the question because I care about which one has "the perfect hands." Of course one should pick what specialty they like and do it to the best of their ability... The question was meant to be exploratory and to hear about different procedures in a range of surgical specialties that take great precision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to place a check mark next to each surgical subspecialty listed in @Frogger27's poll.

All surgeons need "steady hands." Yup, not gonna single out any subspecialty because all of them need steady hands - ortho, ophthal, neuro, vascular, etc - steady, steady, steady - especially if the surgeon is operating on you or me!!!

surgeons.jpg
 
I know that this varies on the specific operation being done, but in general which surgical specialty takes the best fine motor skills/hand dexterity?

Can rank them or discuss (also can include specific subspecialties within):
ENT
Neurosurgery
Plastics
Ophtho
Urology
Vascular
Urology
General surgery subspecialties
Etc
Underwater Basket Weaving

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is there any OMM practiced during surgery? Do DO surgeons get excited when an incision is made so they can omm right on the bone rather than on inconvenient skin?

Well that's not what I meant. DOs learn how to feel cranial bones move during respiration because we can actually feel the CSF. That's how strong their proprioception is. So I'm just saying they probably have less operative morbidity/mortality because they make less mistakes.
 
u know u really wanted to ask which surgical subspecialty gets the most chicks.

Ortho. No brainer. 😉 bunch of buff, athletic bros who make bank, and are generally nice and a little cocky? I dare you to find a better combo. sadly it doesn't work as well for us chick orthopods. Many guys seem to be scared of us. Which is ok. I like to keep them on their toes. 😉
 
Well that's not what I meant. DOs learn how to feel cranial bones move during respiration because we can actually feel the CSF. That's how strong their proprioception is. So I'm just saying they probably have less operative morbidity/mortality because they make less mistakes.
Your preceptor who told you this is an idiot.
 
Well that's not what I meant. DOs learn how to feel cranial bones move during respiration because we can actually feel the CSF. That's how strong their proprioception is. So I'm just saying they probably have less operative morbidity/mortality because they make less mistakes.

That's some of the craziest **** I've heard in a long time.
 
That's some of the craziest **** I've heard in a long time.

You have to be enlightened first. IMO that's when they wine and dine you during orientation week and smack that what coat on you. I asked to have the "osteopathic" part of the embroidery to be in bolder and darker then the rest of the name.

cqGZuuT.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well that's not what I meant. DOs learn how to feel cranial bones move during respiration because we can actually feel the CSF. That's how strong their proprioception is. So I'm just saying they probably have less operative morbidity/mortality because they make less mistakes.

CSF is on the inside, probably just the STA or your preceptor feeling their own pulse in the radial artery of the index finger.
 
CSF is on the inside, probably just the STA or your preceptor feeling their own pulse.
I should have been more specific. It's called a fluid wave and it's the CSF moving in sacral flexion and extension. You should probably study the head in more detail if you're a neurosurgeon, I'd be worried!
 
I should have been more specific. It's called a fluid wave and it's the CSF moving in sacral flexion and extension. You should probably study the head in more detail if you're a neurosurgeon, I'd be worried!

I forgot you charlatans believe touchy feely voodoo to amphiarthrotic joints lets the bad humors out. I'll go back to my emperic evidence based medicine, randomized controlled trials, and standard of care. To each their own.
 
I forgot you charlatans believe touchy feely voodoo to amphiarthrotic joints lets the bad humors out. I'll go back to my emperic evidence based medicine, randomized controlled trials, and standard of care. To each their own.

We have our OWN research journal thank you very much (and yes, it doesn't have an impact factor but the editors are going to give it one that's near JAMA and NEJM because of the merger). But way to stamp out the stories of patients who have literally been healed of their illness with a simple volleyball hold to the head. It's very neurosurgical of you.
 
I should have been more specific. It's called a fluid wave and it's the CSF moving in sacral flexion and extension. You should probably study the head in more detail if you're a neurosurgeon, I'd be worried!

Fluid waves eh? I'll show you sacral flexion and extension
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad