Which surgeons have the best hands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vote!

• Neurosurgery

Votes: 60 30.3%
  • Plastics

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • ENT

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Urology

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Ortho

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Vascular

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Ophtho

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • Congenital heart

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
F2.medium.gif

There is an anesthesiologist somewhere with an IQ of 60.
There's no way that's true, must have been drunk/half asleep/randomly choosing answers on the IQ test or something like that

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Instead of asking which surgeons have the best hands, it may have been more useful to ask which surgical procedure requires the steadiest hands.

But to answer the question - Ophthalmology. And in my opinion, it's not even close. Neurosurgery, Ortho, and Vascular might have long surgeries, but the delicacy required in Ophthalmology might be unrivaled.

Check out the details regarding a partial thickness corneal transplant called a DMEK (descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty) in which the descemet membrane and endothelial layer of the patient's cornea (10-15 microns thick) is replaced by a donor graft.

Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK)

But it's still a terrible question. You should do what you like, and then do it to the best of your technical ability. There are incredibly challenging operations in all surgical specialties, and doing even a routine case flawlessly is probably beyond most people's ability. Caring about which surgical specialty requires the "perfect hands" is one of the most premed things I've seen on allo (oops I mean whatever the new name is) in a while.

Agree with above, the question should have been framed as "which surgical procedures require the steadiest hands or which surgical subspecialty requires the steadiest hands as a whole?".

But with all due respect, I did not ask the question because I care about which one has "the perfect hands." Of course one should pick what specialty they like and do it to the best of their ability... The question was meant to be exploratory and to hear about different procedures in a range of surgical specialties that take great precision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hope my urologist has the best hands. The womb broom deserves the best

Reactions: 2 users
I kind of want to stir the pot and say Derm

Really though, colorectal probably has the best hands, given the uh, gentle nature with which they must assess certain anorectal pathologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Really though, colorectal probably has the best hands, given the uh, gentle nature with which they must assess certain anorectal pathologies.

What about gastroenterology? Have you seen how they handle that snake?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say urology, some of those dude have been getting hands on experience since their pre-teens...

I want to place a check mark next to each surgical subspecialty listed in @Frogger27's poll.

All surgeons need "steady hands." Yup, not gonna single out any subspecialty because all of them need steady hands - ortho, ophthal, neuro, vascular, etc - steady, steady, steady - especially if the surgeon is operating on you or me!!!

surgeons.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
u know u really wanted to ask which surgical subspecialty gets the most chicks.

Reactions: 3 users
I know that this varies on the specific operation being done, but in general which surgical specialty takes the best fine motor skills/hand dexterity?

Can rank them or discuss (also can include specific subspecialties within):
ENT
Neurosurgery
Plastics
Ophtho
Urology
Vascular
Urology
General surgery subspecialties
Etc
Underwater Basket Weaving

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SDN mobile

DO surgeons probably have better hands than any MD surgeon because we learn OMM.

DO surgeons probably have better hands than any MD surgeon because we learn OMM.
is there any OMM practiced during surgery? Do DO surgeons get excited when an incision is made so they can omm right on the bone rather than on inconvenient skin?

is there any OMM practiced during surgery? Do DO surgeons get excited when an incision is made so they can omm right on the bone rather than on inconvenient skin?

Well that's not what I meant. DOs learn how to feel cranial bones move during respiration because we can actually feel the CSF. That's how strong their proprioception is. So I'm just saying they probably have less operative morbidity/mortality because they make less mistakes.

u know u really wanted to ask which surgical subspecialty gets the most chicks.

Ortho. No brainer. ;) bunch of buff, athletic bros who make bank, and are generally nice and a little cocky? I dare you to find a better combo. sadly it doesn't work as well for us chick orthopods. Many guys seem to be scared of us. Which is ok. I like to keep them on their toes. ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Well that's not what I meant. DOs learn how to feel cranial bones move during respiration because we can actually feel the CSF. That's how strong their proprioception is. So I'm just saying they probably have less operative morbidity/mortality because they make less mistakes.

You will get some bites on this I bet.

In my experience, ObGyns might be the only men who know where everything is :angelic::angelic:;)

Your preceptor who told you this is an idiot.

That's some of the craziest **** I've heard in a long time.

That's some of the craziest **** I've heard in a long time.

You have to be enlightened first. IMO that's when they wine and dine you during orientation week and smack that what coat on you. I asked to have the "osteopathic" part of the embroidery to be in bolder and darker then the rest of the name.

cqGZuuT.jpg

CSF is on the inside, probably just the STA or your preceptor feeling their own pulse in the radial artery of the index finger.

Awh come on, it was a 0/10 trolling effort.
Your subtle insult is a 10/10 on the cringe scale.

A fentanyl pop is in order but I'd like to see more from you.

CSF is on the inside, probably just the STA or your preceptor feeling their own pulse.
I should have been more specific. It's called a fluid wave and it's the CSF moving in sacral flexion and extension. You should probably study the head in more detail if you're a neurosurgeon, I'd be worried!

I should have been more specific. It's called a fluid wave and it's the CSF moving in sacral flexion and extension. You should probably study the head in more detail if you're a neurosurgeon, I'd be worried!

I forgot you charlatans believe touchy feely voodoo to amphiarthrotic joints lets the bad humors out. I'll go back to my emperic evidence based medicine, randomized controlled trials, and standard of care. To each their own.

I forgot you charlatans believe touchy feely voodoo to amphiarthrotic joints lets the bad humors out. I'll go back to my emperic evidence based medicine, randomized controlled trials, and standard of care. To each their own.

We have our OWN research journal thank you very much (and yes, it doesn't have an impact factor but the editors are going to give it one that's near JAMA and NEJM because of the merger). But way to stamp out the stories of patients who have literally been healed of their illness with a simple volleyball hold to the head. It's very neurosurgical of you.

Fluid waves eh? I'll show you sacral flexion and extension

We really need to start using the "/s" to help out the geezers in here that don't read sarcasm well

Edit: Or not. It's equally entertaining IMO

Reactions: 6 users
how did neusu a 4 year member and mod get banned loL?

are ppl jealous he is practicing in teh speciality that has an overwhleming lead on getting chicks at 31%

are ppl jealous he is practicing in teh speciality that has an overwhleming lead on getting chicks at 31%
For a neurosurgeon he was pretty stupid and picked a fight with the SDN Overlord.

Got himself banned...but I"m still here!

He's not actually banned. For April fools, there was an announcement that several people would be banned indiscriminately. It was a joke.

How many times do you plan to comment on neurosurgery and getting "teh" "chicks"?

This thread is a trainwreck