Which surgeons have the best hands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vote!

• Neurosurgery

Votes: 60 30.3%
  • Plastics

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • ENT

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Urology

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Ortho

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Vascular

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Ophtho

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • Congenital heart

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
For better or worse, the reality is there is a bell curve of skill in every surgical specialty.
I am assuming there is a bell curve in the difficulty of each surgical procedure as well, so it works out unless the patient is an outlier in terms of difficulty and the surgeon is on the other end of the bell cure in terms of skill.

Members don't see this ad.

To answer the OPs original question: whichever surgeon you ask.

I'm an IR hopeful. Does this require really steady hands?
Many people on my dad's side have benign hand tremors. I'm 26 and nothing so far - but is there a test for this before going into the pipeline?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who haven't spent a lot of time in pre-osteo and osteo, here's a few things you need to know. "Breezy" is a recurring troll who reincarnates himself under a different username after he gets banned (a weekly occurrence). We mostly refer to him as Space Hamster Boo, after his original incarnation. He has a certain "tone" that directly gives his identity away. One recurring characteristic is that he will always adamantly claim that he is not space hamster, in a particularly condescending way.

I promise you his "cranial CSF fluid waves" thing is a troll effort.

Cranial CSF fluid waves are an actual thing in osteopathic medicine, although it can be hard to actually find someone who truly believes it. Literally every DO I've ever met (excluding some OMM faculty) refers to it sarcastically.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who haven't spent a lot of time in pre-osteo and osteo, here's a few things you need to know. "Breezy" is a recurring troll who reincarnates himself under a different username after he gets banned (a weekly occurrence). We mostly refer to him as Space Hamster Boo, after his original incarnation. He has a certain "tone" that directly gives his identity away. One recurring characteristic is that he will always adamantly claim that he is not space hamster, in a particularly condescending way.

I promise you his "cranial CSF fluid waves" thing is a troll effort.

Cranial CSF fluid waves are an actual thing in osteopathic medicine, although it can be hard to actually find someone who truly believes it. Literally every DO I've ever met (excluding some OMM faculty) refers to it sarcastically.

Everything about this post is true except for the part about Breezy being HamsterBoo!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Everything about this post is true except for the part about Breezy being HamsterBoo!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alt, if you've got some info on Hamster you're not telling me, I'm gonna be very unhappy. Spill!

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest that surgical specialties as a whole have the same average hand dexterity. We dont select for it in the match afterall.
Maybe those who know they have terrible hand dexterity self select out of surgical subspecialties, causing a shift to the right?

Maybe those who know they have terrible hand dexterity self select out of surgical subspecialties, causing a shift to the right?
maybe. hard to know. everyone pretty much sucks at surgery as a student.

Reactions: 1 user
Having consulted with numerous peers, we have come to the unanimous conclusion that the surgeons with the best hands are the ones that moisturize.

Reactions: 2 users
Having consulted with numerous peers, we have come to the unanimous conclusion that the surgeons with the best hands are the ones that moisturize.
Were these peers dermatologists?

Were these peers dermatologists?
I tried to consult a dermatologist, but they never returned my page. Upon a second paging, I merely received a text with a picture of a margarita sitting atop several hundred dollar bills utilized as a makeshift coaster at the local country club.

Reactions: 5 users
I tried to consult a dermatologist, but they never returned my page. Upon a second paging, I merely received a text with a picture of a margarita sitting atop several hundred dollar bills utilized as a makeshift coaster at the local country club.
You must have paged after 9am. Try between 8a and 9a the next time.