Which US Med. schools accept Canadians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedDreamer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

this is my first time posting here so excuse me if these questions has been raised before :D . I feel a bit confused by reading the other threads, so just thought I'd start a new one. So, here it goes:

1. Which US Med. schools accept Canadians? I wonder if anyohne got into U. Of Washington (In Seattle) or the University in Portland? How about universities in California? (I ask because I live on the west coast :cool: )

2. What is the minimum GPA/MCAT requirement for them?

3. Deadlines for application?

4. Which schools in the Carribean are the best and how much do they cost? Minimum GPA/MCAT requirement? Deadlines?

Hmmmmm..I had more quetsions, but I can't think of them now..I'll ask again later :)

Thanks again guys in advance for replying :) I would realllyyyy really appreciate your help cause I feel so Dazed and Confused :oops:

luv,

MedDreamer :)

Members don't see this ad.

MedDreamer said:
Hello there,

this is my first time posting here so excuse me if these questions has been raised before :D . I feel a bit confused by reading the other threads, so just thought I'd start a new one. So, here it goes:

1. Which US Med. schools accept Canadians? I wonder if anyohne got into U. Of Washington (In Seattle) or the University in Portland? How about universities in California? (I ask because I live on the west coast :cool: )

4. Which schools in the Carribean are the best and how much do they cost? Minimum GPA/MCAT requirement? Deadlines?

Hmmmmm..I had more quetsions, but I can't think of them now..I'll ask again later :)

Thanks again guys in advance for replying :) I would realllyyyy really appreciate your help cause I feel so Dazed and Confused :oops:

luv,

You compete with all the other students. Some state schools (the UC's for instance) are incredibly hard to get into, others are less so. The MSAR has all the stats you need, and deadlines.

For the caribbean schools the big three are St George, Ross and American University of the Caribbean. Saba is probably number 4, all accept canadians and the required scores are considerably lower than US allopathic schools, and somewhat lower than DO schools. www.valuemd.com has a series of forums dedicated to all overseas schools.

MedDreamer said:
Hello there,

luv,

1. Neither UW-Seattle nor OHSU accept Canadians. UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, USC and Loma Linda in California do, but the first three are notoriously difficult to get into (yes, even harder than Canadian schools) and Loma Linda is an SDA school that ascribes to a strict no sex, no tobacco, no alcohol policy. They are also very religious, but if that's your thing, it might be the school for you. The osteopathic school COMP/Western U accepts Canadians and is very easy to get into but the downside is you get a DO degree, and thus it may be very very difficult for you to work in Canada.

2. For the California schools, I had a 3.75/33 and didn't get a secondary from UCSF or Stanford and didn't get an interview at USC, UCLA either.

3. Generally your AMCAS should be in by Oct 15 I think. Check the pre-MD board to see... it's been a while since I applied.

4. Don't know much about carib schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks moo and flighterdoc for the info :) I really appreciate it..

MedD.

Also check out Ian Wong's premed101.com. There is a list of all the American schools that accept Canadian applicants in on of the threads of the Applying to American schools forum.