Which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSwede

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well due to monetary problems, I'm gonna have to cut one or two of these schools from the secondary list: Northwestern, Boston, and Tulane.

Let's say that my scores are within range for these schools. I am an Oregon resident, but I grew up in Texas; EC's are really good and I'm a non-traditional student.

Which of these 3 schools would you choose to not send in your secondary for and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Come on, you have to answer this for yourself. It depends what other schools you are applying to, how competitive you think you are, and where your preferences lie.

Hopefully you know something about each of these schools.

Boston gets tons of applicants each cycle, stats are slightly on the lower side of the average.
Tulane is in New Orleans, enough said.
Northwestern is a big name school, and they know it.

I would cut Boston. Expensive school in an expensive place to live. That would be my reasoning.

Members don't see this ad :)
discusdan said:
I would cut Boston. Expensive school in an expensive place to live. That would be my reasoning.
Likewise. Although I also agree with YzIa.

YzIa said:
Come on, you have to answer this for yourself. It depends what other schools you are applying to, how competitive you think you are, and where your preferences lie.

Hopefully you know something about each of these schools.

Well I am searching for info aside from that which I got from the MSAR, website, etc...

All I am looking for is some additional or relatively unknown information about these schools that could swing my decision in either submitting the secondary or withdrawing my app.

I think your chances are probably the lowest at BU despite their MSAR stats seeming relatively lower -- they have a bunch of spots set aside for folks coming out of the postbacc and also get many more applications. Therefore, I'd get rid of BU...

same here, i'd cut bu, 8500 applicants is just too much, and for 100 bucks, not worth it........NU's secondary is LONG but if you really like it, go for it! plus, classes from 8-12 everyday is definately whats luring me in!!!

discusdan said:
that can just as easily be said for northwestern.

Tulane takes a lot of non-traditional students. Students there know how to have fun, yet they learn a lot. Because a lot of their clinical experience is at Charity hospital, they get a lot more experience during clinical years than at many other med schools (especially the big name ones where students don't always get to do a lot at the big tertiary care hospitals full of private, paying patients). It's worth your money to keep Tulane on the list.

You should submit your secondaries to all of the schools and see where you get interviews from. There is no point in applying to schools if you don't plan on completing the process. If you get a whole bunch of interviews, maybe then should you think about cutting some schools. Don't forget that getting into school is not sure thing...

I wish I could finish all of the secondaries and see what happens, but the costs are getting even more out of control. I won't be dropping Tulane off of the list, but Northwestern is the one I am considering dropping. It's a great school, but I really don't think I'll have a chance to get an interview there and in order to save money they're moving onto the chopping block.

I got myself into trouble by applying to a bunch of schools and then naturally receiving a bunch of secondaries because they don't screen. So i got myself into a pinch.

According to this site, Northwestern and Tulane outclass Boston in virtually all respects. Northwestern looks like it dominates in this survey.

Boston: If you are tight for cash, this ain't a school for you. I hear they offer absolutely nothing in terms of grants for financial aid.

Bedpan Commando said:
Well due to monetary problems, I'm gonna have to cut one or two of these schools from the secondary list: Northwestern, Boston, and Tulane.

Let's say that my scores are within range for these schools. I am an Oregon resident, but I grew up in Texas; EC's are really good and I'm a non-traditional student.

Which of these 3 schools would you choose to not send in your secondary for and why?

take a loan kid

i'd cut BU.
they get the most # of applications per year and trying to get a picked for an interview, let alone an acceptance out of 10,000 applicants is pretty tough. They also ask for no additional questions on their "secondary" to supplement your primary application. they want a $100.