Which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearlyshells

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you got accepted to Tufts, NYU and UoP?

Any and all advice is more than welcome!

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great staff, nice equipment, every specialty on site, research, patient base, NYC... etc

If you got accepted to Tufts, NYU and UoP?

Any and all advice is more than welcome!

THANKS!

Pacific. 3 yrs, great and kind staffs, and you get to live in San Fran.

Depends on where you are from I guess? Where you would like to live. I am from California so I would choose UOP hands down. For the reasons mentioned in the previous post. Everyone I know who goes there is in love with the school though they say its hard because everything is fast paced.

I'm from California

I was just concerned because a lot of people I've talked to said choose NYU for namesake. I don't think a school should be chosen based on the name but it helps

I'd pick pacific hands down. It's my dream school: 3y, great clinical training, SF, humanistic approach..

As for myself I can't justify going there while I got accepted to my state school (i.e. half the price of pacific), but looking at the schools you were accepted to, cost is comparable and therefore not an issue.

Then there's the issue of putting a deposit. Do I put deposits for both or just one?

Also, do I even have a chance of getting in to USC, UCLA or Columbia?

Also, UoP requires B's or better in the remainder of my courses and I received a C+ in one of my classes. Is that something that would jeopardize my acceptance?

Also, UoP requires B's or better in the remainder of my courses and I received a C+ in one of my classes. Is that something that would jeopardize my acceptance?

Yeah I would call UoP about this right away. a friend of mine going to UoP said that they are pretty serious about anyone getting below a B in a course...:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
What did your friend say?

He basically said that UoP is serious when they say they dont want you to get C's. However I would still call them and make sure what their exact policy is. Maybe they would require some form of documented explanation for the grade. Like I said, I would call them to make its not a problem before you send in your money or drop your other acceptances to other schools...

I have to wait until Jan. 3 because all offices are closed for the holidays. Lame

Am I crazy for not even putting Tufts in the running?

How would you guys rank the 3 schools?

hmm...a lot of the people/dentists that I have spoken to said that the name of the school doesn't matter. I got into NYU, Tufts, and my state school. The majority of the people that I have spoken to just said to go with the cheaper school. If I had to choose between Tufts and NYU, I would go to Tufts. NYU seems like a great school, but I dont know if NYC is for me... I would choose the school that you feel most comfortable with and know you will be happy attending for the next 4 years.:)

I loved UoP but feel like if I pass up NYU, I would regret it in the end - come on, it's NEW YORK!

Both cities are great. I think it would be a win/win situation whichever school you decide to attend. Once you've decided on a school, just move forward and don't look back. :)

What are the chances of getting into UCLA, USC and/or Columbia?

Personally i would definitely rank UoP higher than than NYU or Tufts. I think many people would agree with me on at least that...

:thumbup: at least if you are a California resident, or at least planning to be a general dentist in California, I heard UoP's the way to go, and this is coming from four different UCSF dental alumni that I know. (then they also say, if you want to specialize, go to a research-oriented school, such as UCSF. ;))

The cost alone would deter me from going to Tufts or NYU. UoP, is expensive as well, but at least you wouldn't be moving across the country. I suppose if you want a change of scenery and money isn't an issue.....

I would go to NYU. San Francisco and Boston are great cities, but I've always wanted to see what life is like in NYC. Don't worry about which school is the best; all three are great. Don't worry about specializing rates; if you're a good student, you'll specialize. Consider the location. Where do you want to live for the next 4 years? After 4 years, if you don't like it wherever you are, you can always come back to Cali.

Ok, just a disclaimer: I do not intend to bash or demean anyone's school or tarnish any "reputation"
I have been out of school for 3 years and have worked closely, as co-residents and colleagues, with graduates of Tufts, NYU and UoP, among others.
Clinically, Tufts and UoP will give you a far superior education than NYU. The NYU name, for those in the dental community who know, extends to the medical, law and graduate schools, but unfortunately NOT the dental school. They charge the most, have a huge class size, hundreds of foreign trained dentists, and basically just churn out graduates with a widely varying level of quality among the students graduating. It seems to be the "black sheep" of the NYU Campus.
I have seen excellent clinicians from there, but also some really really "not great" dentists as well, and upon discussion with those from NYU, those deficiencies stemmed from lack of education/training/clinical experiences.

Bottom line: NYU is really not worth the money, the level of training is VERY much not top level and you will be FAR better in many other schools, such as Tufts, UofP, UMDNJ, BU, Penn, UCLA etc etc.
Any questions? feel free to comment.

I know nothing bout the schools but UoP is where i would go. Look at prices and costs of school and living. NYU is expensive, but i guess all cost of living in those three cities are heavy.

So what's it gonna be pearl? Are we gonna be classmates at UOP or what :)

got to call and make sure my C+ is acceptable, and if so, see you in July!!

super excited