Which year's tax return to use for FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon311

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and there's a recent related thread, but I couldn't tell where in the application cycle the OP was, so I'm posting anyway:

I'm applying to matriculate in 2010. When in the application cycle do people fill out FAFSA? My impression is Jan-Marchish? Is the tax return that is used that which would be due in April of that year - in other words, will I be using my parents' 2009 return for the parental information?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and there's a recent related thread, but I couldn't tell where in the application cycle the OP was, so I'm posting anyway:

I'm applying to matriculate in 2010. When in the application cycle do people fill out FAFSA? My impression is Jan-Marchish? Is the tax return that is used that which would be due in April of that year - in other words, will I be using my parents' 2009 return for the parental information?

Thanks.

Technically it's their 2008 return but yes the one that is due by 4/15 of this year. Also worth noting that you might want to lean on your parents to get it done earlier rather than later as many of the school deadlines require at least the information before the federal deadline and will eventually require the actual tax return

Edit: Oops I thought you were trying to get your stuff done for this year-Definitely try to get your stuff done sooner rather than later though whatever year you are matriculating especially if you think money will factor into your school choice

Last edited:
If you are starting in the 2010-2011 school year you would be able to file your FAFSA after Jan 1, 2010. You will use the 2009 taxes for the final numbers, but you can use the previous year as an estimate if you want to get it done early then correct it when the taxes are filed.