white coat ceremony/orientation at AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current students have details on these two events??? When is the w.c. ceremony? Does the university make it a big deal? Is it something that your family should attend from out of town? I have heard that some schools make a bigger deal out of giving you your white coat than others do. What's the protocol for AZCOM???

Also, what goes on during orientation (how many days, etc.)?

Just curious......thanks!!!

titan

Members don't see this ad.

titan,

AZCOM does not make a big deal out of the white coat ceremony. It was nice, but fairly low key. Some parents flew in from out of town, some parents (like mine) didn't... it is really up to you. Our ceremony was scheduled to be in mid-September but after 9/11 they moved it back to October or November. You can call the school and ask if they have the schedule for next year.

With regards to orientation, it starts the Wednesday before classes start I think. It is mandatory... some good info and some lame info is given. The best part for me was meeting everyone in our class - you'll love it.

good luck,
Kelley

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kstokes:
•titan,

AZCOM does not make a big deal out of the white coat ceremony. It was nice, but fairly low key. Some parents flew in from out of town, some parents (like mine) didn't... it is really up to you. Our ceremony was scheduled to be in mid-September but after 9/11 they moved it back to October or November. You can call the school and ask if they have the schedule for next year.

With regards to orientation, it starts the Wednesday before classes start I think. It is mandatory... some good info and some lame info is given. The best part for me was meeting everyone in our class - you'll love it.

good luck,
Kelley•••••Thanks Kelley! Kind of sucks that AZCOM doesn't make a bigger deal of the w.c. ceremony. I am disappointed not so much for myself, but for my family. Thanks again, and good luck in school.

titan

Members don't see this ad :)
Titan,

Be glad that the ceremony you have now is 100 times nicer than the ones we had "back in the day". We weren't told when it was. We were summoned to a "mandatory" meeting with the CEO of the school. We left anatomy lab at 5 o'clock reeking of. . . well you get the picture. At that time Cholla Hall had the largest seating capacity and our class and the PA class were given our white coats then and there, no relatives or friends, no pictures to mark the occasion (however reeking of "lab particles", I would not have had my family come from NY for this). At the time we were told that since there would not be enough room to accommodate families, that's why it was done that way. You will be given advanced notice and at least you can have guests if you want to. Perhaps your new class representatives might want to make it a more festive occasion, there's always room for improvement. Good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ted-- how have the interviews been going?? any takes yet?? I'm excited to hear where you end up!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by tedsadoc2002:
•Be glad that the ceremony you have now is 100 times nicer than the ones we had "back in the day". We weren't told when it was. We were summoned to a "mandatory" meeting with the CEO of the school. We left anatomy lab at 5 o'clock reeking of. . . well you get the picture. At that time Cholla Hall had the largest seating capacity and our class and the PA class were given our white coats then and there, no relatives or friends, no pictures to mark the occasion (however reeking of "lab particles", I would not have had my family come from NY for this). At the time we were told that since there would not be enough room to accommodate families, that's why it was done that way. You will be given advanced notice and at least you can have guests if you want to. Perhaps your new class representatives might want to make it a more festive occasion, there's always room for improvement. Good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: •••••Well, that kind of bums me out. Do the class reps really have that much say in things. I don't care if it is a huge ceremony, but having a nice little party with some friends and fam would be cool. Hopefully it will turn out fairly nice. Does anyone have a schedule for next year yet. The last packet I got was for last years schedule, or does it just come in July?? Anyone??

I agree...I hope we can convince the school to make a big deal out of it. It would be nice to celebrate a definatey important crossroad...

Info would be nice.

Hey guys, I am definitely with you. It would be cool if we could combine our voices and maybe make the occasion that much more meaningful and memorable for ourselves and our families.

Hi jhug,

Interviews went well, started off thinking I was going to do IM, but got quite a nice little group of EM interviews so, I did those instead. They are on both coasts! Might be California, might be NY. When the time comes (provided I'm not left holding an empty bag) I will try to post.

Hawk, often times your class reps (as long as they are professional about it) can effect changes. (Maybe you want to take on this project, hint, hint :wink: ) Come up with a plan (it may have to come out of your class budget, that means funds set aside for your class by Student Council) and as long as it is plausible run it by the Dean of Student Affairs, Dr. K. A good thing to do in advance is to see how many of your classmates want an "upscale" white coat ceremony. It might make the idea easier to sell. Good luck with your future endeavors. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Wow, this is the second time I have seen this question today. I am not sure who "ted" is and what his class went through, but as for the class of 2004, we had a very nice ceremony, so I would relax and if its important for you to have your family there, just plan ahead. I think it is well worth sharing the event with those you love. You may want to check your other post for more info i added about our ceremony.

Good luck and have fun.

Hello Cottontop,

I am a fourth year and if you go to AZCOM the class profile pictures are in the dean?s office. I am not male, I am female. Just an FYI :cool: :cool: :cool: