White coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it always held after the first term? I thought it would be before the first day of school, but at pcom it is after the first term.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it always held after the first term? I thought it would be before the first day of school, but at pcom it is after the first term.

From what I heard of RVU, it's before the first day of school. I could be wrong, but that's the impression that I got.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of schools (DO and MD) do it at the end of the first term since it makes for a nice start to the holidays.

I know of a few schools on block schedules who do it after completion of the first block, usually around the end of September

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools do it after first term and when I have asked why most replied "to make sure you are still here and going to become a doctor before we hand you a white coat" they want to see you can survive i guess but this seems to be the norm

It's around the first week of school at NSU-COM.

Most Texas med schools do it at the start of 1st year. I believe only UT Southwestern does it a little later, in October.

Crap I wanted mine to start lol. Oh well( I guess it does make sense to see who is there. Of course, it seems like one could just fail the 2nd term and not the first

It also depends on when students first start the course in learning physician interaction skills..some schools who start first semester will have the white coat earlier on.

As far as I know, all MI schools have it before classes start. The newer schools might be doing something differently though. I know a lot of schools do an outdoor ceremony and weather would not permit this in December, or even after first block.

PCOM's is in the middle of the 1st term, this year was beginning of October

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very school dependant. Some do it right away while others do it after first block or after first semester. It really doesn't matter though. I mean its not like its even that old of a tradition (1996, seriously). That said, it does feel nice :).

This is very school dependant. Some do it right away while others do it after first block or after first semester. It really doesn't matter though. I mean its not like its even that old of a tradition (1996, seriously). That said, it does feel nice :).
actually, it's WAYYYYY older...1993 to be specific. at Columbia

Haha, my mistake, I must have mixed it up with when my school started doing it. 1993, that changes everything!
truly an ancient rite cloaked in rituals of which the meanings have been lost to the ages. birthed in a forgotten era when cell phones couldn't fit in your pockets, and Whitney Houston was topping the charts with her rendition of "I Will Always Love You" while "Whoomp There It Is" was a phrase commonly heard on a channel that only played music videos. Some may remember this channel as Music Television...or MTV

TUCOM and NSU have it before school starts, LECOM-B has it after the first semester

PCOM's is in the middle of the 1st term, this year was beginning of October
I will be going to GA PCOM. I have been told it was after the first semester. That would be cool if it was earlier though.

To my knowledge, WesternU does it at the beginning of the fall semester.

I think TouroCOM's is held after completion of the FIRST 2 YEARS :eek:. Can anyone confirm this?

It's before orientation I believe

mnhockeyfan said it was aug 24 this year which is after orientation. Is there somewhere on the DMU website or class guide for accepted students that says when it is next year?

I think TouroCOM's is held after completion of the FIRST 2 YEARS :eek:. Can anyone confirm this?

NYCOM does it after the first 2 years too

Edit: Someone should compile a list for future students hah

All in favor of every school having it on the first day if school?? Say "I!" Lol

I thought about this a lot (because once you're accepted you think about silly stuff like this, I suppose), and I came to the conclusion that I am thoroughly glad it is after the first term/semester.

Here's why:

I think entering school again will make it feel just like normal i.e. undergrad. It will feel completely normal and comfortable like undergrad felt where we all did fairly well. If i had a white coat ceremony prior to taking a single class, it would almost feel like a sense of entitlement. "I'm accepted therefore I'm a doctor"- I do not want this mindset.

Confirmed.

It's after second year - kinda makes sense in a way. You get a white coat with the school logo before then though for like $20 if you'd like.

any idea when Touro NV white coat is?

middle of septembrer per tun website

Aw yes, the white coat ceremony. A tradition where you celebrate wearing the same coat as endless other people in the hospital...and the people developing photos at walgreens.

Aw yes, the white coat ceremony. A tradition where you celebrate wearing the same coat as endless other people in the hospital...and the people developing photos at walgreens.
but since we will become docs while wearing it, it has to mean something special for us right?

Zero fooks given. Still excited about it

Reactions: 2 users
I thought about this a lot (because once you're accepted you think about silly stuff like this, I suppose), and I came to the conclusion that I am thoroughly glad it is after the first term/semester.

Here's why:

I think entering school again will make it feel just like normal i.e. undergrad. It will feel completely normal and comfortable like undergrad felt where we all did fairly well. If i had a white coat ceremony prior to taking a single class, it would almost feel like a sense of entitlement. "I'm accepted therefore I'm a doctor"- I do not want this mindset.
That is, we will feel normal until the full second week of classes, when we realize we just when over one full undergrad semester of biochem in 6 lessons:laugh:

That is, we will feel normal until the full second week of classes, when we realize we just when over one full undergrad semester of biochem in 6 lessons:laugh:
I hope this is an exaggeration because that sounds impossible,but so does everything else about med school lol

I hope this is an exaggeration because that sounds impossible,but so does everything else about med school lol
I hope it's an exaggeration too, but this is verbatim from a buddy of mine when he was an ms1. He's ms3 now. To be fair, he might have said three weeks ;)

I hope it's an exaggeration too, but this is verbatim from a buddy of mine when he was an ms1. He's ms3 now. To be fair, he might have said three weeks ;)
Unfortunately I didn't even get to take biochem. I really was hoping to get to, but I go to a quarter school and you have to take it on the first section, 1 of 3. And I missed the first one lol. Someone at an interview told me med school biochem is easier than undergrad organic, so I hope that is true

Unfortunately I didn't even get to take biochem. I really was hoping to get to, but I go to a quarter school and you have to take it on the first section, 1 of 3. And I missed the first one lol. Someone at an interview told me med school biochem is easier than undergrad organic, so I hope that is true

Biochem was a lot of info, I can't imagine going over that amount of info in three weeks. However, med school may skip all the calculation stuff. I know my prof was into enzyme kinetics big time and pKa calculations and a lot more of the quantitative side of the subject. He had extra handouts because the book did not cover that stuff the way he liked it...dude it's like every exam we had was half full of calculating one thing or another and graphing curves...man I'm getting PTSD. That all seems so unnecessary for us. Anyway, we'll find out.

I've been meeting up with a few residents from different specialties and asking for med school advice (academics, social, research, etc). The consensus has been that the material is not harder conceptually than most college majors, it is just a lot all at once.

.Someone at an interview told me med school biochem is easier than undergrad organic, so I hope that is true

I think that's absolutely true. Med school classes so far have been significantly less intellectually intense compared to upper level science classes in undergrad. With that being said, I think the entirety 1st semester undergrad biochem was about 50% of the 1st test. It's not the intellectual difficulty that gets ya, just the quantity and pace.

Last edited: