White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MechE

Med School's Slave
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do D.O. schools have a white coat ceremony like their M.D. counterparts?

Members don't see this ad.

This is something I've wondered about.

I've seen pictures of white coat ceremonies and I've heard about how nice they are etc etc.

What happens at one? Does everyone walk on a stage and get a white coat? Or is there more to it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's usually some touchy-feely ceremony that's used to symbolize that we're beginning the process of becoming a Dr. Nice for the family to come and see, but not really all that important to the process, IMO.

I'm not inviting my parents, because they still can't figure out that DO school IS medical school also.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I'm not inviting my parents, because they still can't figure out that DO school IS medical school also.
maybe inviting your parents would be a good way to show them that it is medical school...

They can kiss my sweet ass. They won't believe it until that first paycheck comes in.

Buckeye(OH) said:

do your parents live in a cave?!?! there are DO's everywhere in columbus.

k

I wonder if DO white coats are as cheap-ass as MD white coats because mine is barely hanging on thanks to spare packs of suture from surgery and horked rolls of silk tape...

kendall said:
do your parents live in a cave?!?! there are DO's everywhere in columbus.

k

Nope, they are in Cincinnati. Part of the problem is that they are Indian.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Nope, they are in Cincinnati. Part of the problem is that they are Indian.

My parents are Polish (so am I) and the are happy I got in, but they tell all their friend in Poland that I am already a neurosurgeon :laugh: (And the tell me to lie in case someone asks) funny huh? So anyone knows anu Polish DO jokes?

I would have never guessed that a polish kid would come from polish parents.

There are plenty of polish jokes, none about DOs though :(

Members don't see this ad :)
ilona said:
So anyone knows anu Polish DO jokes?
Sorry, I only know Polish M.D. jokes.

I could be wrong, but I heard that the white coat ceremony takes place after your first two years (before starting clinical rotations)? Anyone who knows, let me know if this is correct!

not at UNE... I'm sure I'll get flamed if I'm wrong, but I think most places do it at the beginning or toward the beginning of the first year of first semester

At PCOM the ceremony is during orientation week. Parents are not allowed to come b/c it is in a auditorium that barely has room for faculty, students, News Cameras, etc. It was kind of hokey in my opinion b/c you recite your 'class vision statement' but that's just me. I am sure some of my classmates thought it was important and memorable.
I wonder if DO white coats are as cheap-ass as MD white coats because mine is barely hanging on thanks to spare packs of suture from surgery and horked rolls of silk tape...
Yes, I know of some who have holes in theirs already but I think in their case was more the individual than the whitecoat.

ilona said:
My parents are Polish (so am I) and the are happy I got in, but they tell all their friend in Poland that I am already a neurosurgeon :laugh: (And the tell me to lie in case someone asks) funny huh? So anyone knows anu Polish DO jokes?
I am SO going to regret this...

Did you hear about the Polish DO? He thought he was a real doctor! :p

liverotcod said:
I am SO going to regret this...

Did you hear about the Polish DO? He thought he was a real doctor! :p
You know what the D.O.'s are going to do to you, right?

trypto82 said:
I could be wrong, but I heard that the white coat ceremony takes place after your first two years (before starting clinical rotations)? Anyone who knows, let me know if this is correct!

Depends on the school. I know that Touro has it after completing the 2 years of classwork. They are now in discussions to move that up to the beginning of first year like most schools. So that means if I go to Touro I'll have the ceremony at the same time as my gf (current MS1)!

COMP has their ceremony during orientation week too (I think).
And Buckeye - you're right - Indian/Paki are predisposed to anti-DO-ism. Part of the problem is that there are so many Indo-Paki MDs out there that our parents think that that's all there is... I have more of a problem with insane relatives who tell me they know more bout DO school than I do...and thus they say I shouldnt go there... insane I tell you... insane...

i was all hyped up about getting my white coat during orientation week but then i read on LECOM's website that they have it after completing the first semester since those are the "core" classes and then spring of first year you begin systems and "clinical" courses. someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents about whitecoat. When I started school I was bummed that we didn't have the ceremony at the beginning, or sometime during, year 1. Thought it would be an appropriate 'welcome to medicine'. Then when we finally DID have the ceremony after finishing year 2, it was a nice little nod to all of hard work we had completed. Since leaving the didactic years is certainly a HUGE change, I think having the ceremony at the end of year 2 was more meaningful.

Either way its a bit silly, but you'll jump through a lot of silly hoops during your medical training...at least this one is fun.

When is OSU's ceremony?

MechE said:
When is OSU's ceremony?

It is at the end of the orientation week. Orientation is a full week before the beginning of the school year. I'm not sure when the first day of school is, but it will be the Saturday before. It should be somewhere in mid-August.

MechE said:
Do D.O. schools have a white coat ceremony like their M.D. counterparts?

I went to my brother's white coat ceremony at KCUMB. I believe they had it the week before class started. It's actually a great way to start your education--a touching ceremony, and tons of free booze afterwards! :) Oh yeah, they also had a really nice dinner... :p