White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlaskaGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the White Coat ceremonies that most schools participate in. When are they usually held? Do family members usually attend? Basically, I am wondering if I need to let my parents know it is important that they fly down from Alaska to attend this or if it is a quickie ceremony that really isn't that great and they don't need to spend the money to come to.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AlaskaGirl said:
I have a question regarding the White Coat ceremonies that most schools participate in. When are they usually held? Do family members usually attend? Basically, I am wondering if I need to let my parents know it is important that they fly down from Alaska to attend this or if it is a quickie ceremony that really isn't that great and they don't need to spend the money to come to.

Thanks!
it's more of a traditional thing that shows people that you are "embarking" on the medical journey. some schools make a big deal out of it. I went to the Vanderbilt one this past year and it was a really nice ceremony outside and they had wine and cheese and strawberries and champagne. it was really nice. family members usually come to it I think. however, if they can't make it, it's okie. it's kinda like graduation from undergrad. and plus it'll be a good way to meet other med parents :) congrats!!!

Wine and Strawberries at a WHITE COAT ceremony? Are they trying to see who the class ****up will be? :laugh: :laugh:

virilep said:
it's more of a traditional thing that shows people that you are "embarking" on the medical journey. some schools make a big deal out of it. I went to the Vanderbilt one this past year and it was a really nice ceremony outside and they had wine and cheese and strawberries and champagne. it was really nice. family members usually come to it I think. however, if they can't make it, it's okie. it's kinda like graduation from undergrad. and plus it'll be a good way to meet other med parents :) congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AStudent said:
Wine and Strawberries at a WHITE COAT ceremony? Are they trying to see who the class ****up will be? :laugh: :laugh:
we're just hott like that! biznitchl haha

Thanks for the advice...I just really didn't know if it was traditionally a big deal. I mean a flight from AK to MN isn't exactly the cheapest, but if they can make it I would like them to attend. Any idea on when they are usually held, i.e. orientation, first couple months of class, after first semester?

AlaskaGirl said:
Any idea on when they are usually held, i.e. orientation, first couple months of class, after first semester?

I think some schools do it during orientation, before your first year actually starts. Other schools wait till after your first year (or at least this is what i've heard from other people). Check your school's website. It should give you an idea when the white coat ceremony is.

I didn't even tell my parents about the ceremony -- why should they fly out from california to the east coast to see me put on a white coat? They know darn well what I was embarking on. I did feel a little lonely with all the other (local) parents there, just having moved across the country, but I got over it quickly.

My point being...unless your parents can truly afford it and it's not any inconvenience, it's not really worth it for them to come to your white coat ceremony from Alaska.

AlaskaGirl said:
Any idea on when they are usually held, i.e. orientation, first couple months of class, after first semester?
At UMN-TC, my tour guide said they hold it after you complete gross anatomy, which is about 7 weeks into first year, so...early October? Most schools seem to do it as part of orientation in August.

Yeah, I think they probably won't attend. I agree that I might feel a little out of place without the fam around, but I am sure I won't be the only student. As far as when the ceremony is, I believe the U's might be in October...they haven't released that information on the website yet.

virilep said:
. it's kinda like graduation from undergrad

Haha, who in their right mind goes to undergrad graduation ceremony? I dont know anyone who actually went to that.

Ross434 said:
Haha, who in their right mind goes to undergrad graduation ceremony? I dont know anyone who actually went to that.

I did. My parents forced me to because it was a big deal to them and they had helped pay for it....I figured it was the least I could do. And, most of my friends did as well. So, maybe we were the exception to the rule...or that is just what students do in Montana! :rolleyes:

Ross434 said:

My parents are making me go to mine. :laugh:

UCLAstudent said:
My parents are making me go to mine. :laugh:

wow. that is just terrible!!! lol. the nerve of them! :laugh:

alaskagirl... look up university of minn. i think their past ceremonies have been in january. other schools do them in the summer at orientation. it just depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question about the white coat ceremony is how big can they make the white coat? Can they custom make one for the horizontally challanged among us?

Megalofyia said:
My question about the white coat ceremony is how big can they make the white coat? Can they custom make one for the horizontally challanged among us?

What I thought was funny is that my friend said at his school they measure you for your white coat during orientation...what is it like making a suit or something? :laugh: I mean really, how hard can it be to find a white coat...S, M, L, XL, and for the horizontally challenged.....XXXXXXL

Ross434 said:
i definately think it's dependent upon the school. i went to the UT-austin graduation and it sucked. but the vandy one was really good. it was outside on the lawn and the day before we had Condolezza Rice come and speak. This year we're having the Iranian Nobel Peace prize winner, the lady... not too sure of her name. but i think it's dependent on the school. i enjoyed mine and my parents did too. plus in 20 years when you're with your friends u'll have wished u had gone.

AlaskaGirl said:
Do family members usually attend? Basically, I am wondering if I need to let my parents know it is important that they fly down from Alaska to attend this or if it is a quickie ceremony that really isn't that great and they don't need to spend the money to come to.

Not only did none of my family come to my white coat ceremony, I didn't even show up. But I'm a born rebel.

Bottom line, tell your folks not to waste the money. It's nice if it's incredibly convenient for them, but that's obviously not the case. There will be much more important milestones in the future for them to attend.

Not only did none of my family come to my white coat ceremony, I didn't even show up.

yeah but you pass up a free white coat! man, chicks really dig those short lab coats...

Yeah, somehow it seems easier for guys to get the chicks by saying, "I am in med school." Whenever guys ask what I do they get this blank stare when I say," I start med school in the fall." From that point on they usually find some way to excuse themselves from the conversation. I have always been curious why guys do this but it is completely the opposite of for men...women seem to come out of the woodwork when they think they stand a chance of nailing a doctor!

Whenever guys ask what I do they get this blank stare when I say," I start med school in the fall." From that point on they usually find some way to excuse themselves from the conversation. I have always been curious why guys do this

Probably it's because they know that medicine will distract you from your real tasks, such as keeping that kitchen clean and fetching beer during the football game.

Seriously, I don't know. Maybe some get intimidated by a woman who stands (eventually) to be more successful/make more money than him.

Ross434 said:

I went and so did most people at my school. Brown has a beautiful ceremony...actually, it's held over two days (first day is baccalaureate and the second day is the actual commencement, followed by smaller department commencement and degree-awarding ceremonies)...part of it involved a march lead by alumni then followed by the current graduating class....we marched out of the van wickle gates to illustrate our leaving Brown (during orientation, we marched IN through those gates). It was pretty spectacular. For my graduation, baccalaureate was a beautiful sunny warm day, while it poured during commencement. Even through the rain, most people continued the march. It was quite something (and so was the cold I had for weeks after that.)

i am 100% going to my graduation! I earned the right to have a day that celebrates my accomplishments! It's the culmination of 4 years of work! I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to attend??

jesse14 said:
i am 100% going to my graduation! I earned the right to have a day that celebrates my accomplishments! It's the culmination of 4 years of work! I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to attend??

Ditto that. Everyone at my school goes, and I am going too. After so much work I certainly deserve a celebration ceremony. :D

I'm going to undergrad graduation, but only cuz i'm being forced. Undergrad isn't meaningful, and I don't feel that we deserve a celebration for it at all.

undergrad graduation was a nice event, It was my last chance to say goodbye to my fellow classmates and teachers after 4 great years.

getunconcsious said:
I'm going to undergrad graduation, but only cuz i'm being forced. Undergrad isn't meaningful, and I don't feel that we deserve a celebration for it at all.

I felt that way about HS graduation... I "walked" for the first degree, then had a big family/friends bash at my parents house, and it was lots of fun! Second degree... didn't bother.

I RARELY pass up a chance to gather friends and family together and 'cue up some tri-tip. Something people from our generation need to be sensitive to, is that while we may be indifferent to achieving a "mere" bachelor's degree, many MANY of our parents' generation are immensely proud that we made good on the opportunities they never got. Just my $0.02, but even if we're not terribly enthused about it, it's fun if you throw your heart into it, and the considerate thing to do is to accept the sincerely offered well-wishes with the gracious acknowledgement that such things deserve.

Regarding the White Coat Ceremony, many of our families, while not having run this race with us, have at least been running along the sidelines, cheering us on. The accomplishment of being accepted into medical school is one of the most impressive accomplishments many of us or our families have ever achieved. Much as a wedding ceremony is often a chance to give your friends and family a chance to publicly acknowledge and celebrate your committment, my family would feel robbed if i didn't give them a chance to celebrate my acceptance to medical school if the school sponsored such a ceremony.

That being said, many families don't feel that way. I would recommend telling your parents about the ceremony, let them know that you will not be hurt if they can't come (if that is the case), offer to take lots of pictures if they cannot, and allow them to make the decision for themselves. It's unfair to them to not let them know about the ceremony, and they can make the financial decisions for themselves.

ps... Congratulations on even HAVING this little "problem!" :D

I feel really sorry for the guy who said we shouldn't go to graduaion to celebrate getting a degree. Just because it's not an M.D, Ph.D, or Masters does not mean it's nothing to be proud of. I'm working damn hard for that "silly" bachelors degree and I know it won't really get me anywhere on it's on, but i'm still proud that i will have accomplished something meaningfull.

That's just me!
and for any soon to be graduates.....CONGRADULATIONS- YOU DESEREVE YOUR DAY.

CoverMe said:
Something people from our generation need to be sensitive to, is that while we may be indifferent to achieving a "mere" bachelor's degree, many MANY of our parents' generation are immensely proud that we made good on the opportunities they never got. QUOTE]

Neither one of my parents finished a bachelor's degree. On the day I walked for my B.S., my mother walked around all day hugging my diploma to her chest with a silly grin on her face. I have since earned an MPH and am closing in on a Ph.D. I mentioned the White Coat Ceremony to my mother sort of as an FYI and mentioned that I didn't think it would be that big of a deal (and worth a 10 hour+ drive). My mother gushed about how she wouldn't miss it for anything. Me=sorta surprised.

I would never underestimate the value of achievements such as these, even if seemingly small in your own eyes. A significant bulk of the US population alone, without restriction to prior generations, dreams of having these experiences.

As a premed and father of a growing family the unique relationship between parents and children is what is important. Let me clarify, the relationship I have with my parents is really good but they are "only" my parents. I love them and we have wonderful communication but as a child the value I place on them is significantly dimished compared to the value they place on me! This interaction is why many parents cannot imagine missing a graduation (in any form) or "white coat" ceremony.

The importance that a parent places on their child is so much more than the child can comprehend. This might not make sense or seem extremely exaggerated and I wound't believe it if not for the fact that as a parent I have spent some time thinking about it. I can honestly say that my children are more important to me then my parents. This probably comes from the fact that I have had to serve my children and not so much my parents. Sorry about the ramblings- just my $0.02 :sleep:

tegs15 said:
As a premed and father of a growing family the unique relationship between parents and children is what is important. Let me clarify, the relationship I have with my parents is really good but they are "only" my parents. I love them and we have wonderful communication but as a child the value I place on them is significantly dimished compared to the value they place on me! This interaction is why many parents cannot imagine missing a graduation (in any form) or "white coat" ceremony.

The importance that a parent places on their child is so much more than the child can comprehend. This might not make sense or seem extremely exaggerated and I wound't believe it if not for the fact that as a parent I have spent some time thinking about it. I can honestly say that my children are more important to me then my parents. This probably comes from the fact that I have had to serve my children and not so much my parents. Sorry about the ramblings- just my $0.02 :sleep:
Amen brotha, amen

Everyone has had such valid points. Thanks so much for your input regarding the White Coat Ceremony. Having come from a family where I am the first to obtain any advanced degree it means a lot to my family to be included in my achievements and, barring any financial difficulty, I know they will try and make it out to attend. They have been my moral support system through this entire drawn out application process and it is the least I can do to give back to them!

Some schools do it after gross because they want to see who can't handle that... after all you are not really a med student until you are fist deep in your cadaver.

That is funny because that is exactly when the U of M does it...right after you are done with gross! :laugh: