White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareBear9984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When typically do pod students have their white coat ceremony? Does it usually vary by school? Scholl students, when did this happen for you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

OCPM does it the weekend of orientation

Members don't see this ad :)
At Scholl, we have our white coat/rite of passage ceremony at the beginning of our second year.

At DMU the DOs and DPMs have a white coat ceremony in the 1st sesmester. There is also a rite of passage ceremony after your second year.

I just picked up my invitation for the Rite of Passage Ceremony and I'm a lowly first year - does that mean there's no real point in going (besides to partake in the free food..... :))???

I just picked up my invitation for the Rite of Passage Ceremony and I'm a lowly first year - does that mean there's no real point in going (besides to partake in the free food..... :))???

I encourage all first years to go. It is a good time and a rare opportunity for the entire college to get together. Besides, word on the street is that Feelgood is going to be there signing autographs!

I encourage all first years to go. It is a good time and a rare opportunity for the entire college to get together. Besides, word on the street is that Feelgood is going to be there signing autographs!

Jon keep that on the down low. It is supposed to be a surprise bonus for those lucky fans that show up for the ceremony.

haha psh. i've been in Feelgood's presence more times than i'd like to admit... he's not THAT great! :)

but yea, i had already checked the "yes, i'm attending" box, so i'm happy i don't have to bust out the white out.

He's even better, right??? :D

Hey Feelgood,
Think I can get two autographs? One from you and one from your giant ego! You would think you were some big shot IPMSA Pres or something. Of course we all know he is smarter and much better looking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Feelgood,
Think I can get two autographs? One from you and one from your giant ego! You would think you were some big shot IPMSA Pres or something. Of course we all know he is smarter and much better looking.

I also heard that he is so amazing he can cure the sick and he is saving lives, one foot at a time.

So does that mean that untill we have our white coat ceremony, we dont get to wear those white coats.:(

Do we wear White Coats all the time in Pod school. is its mandatory.

So does that mean that untill we have our white coat ceremony, we dont get to wear those white coats.:(

No....
White Coats are just for clinic. Currently, we get our white coats the 2nd year because thats when we start clinic and learn physical examination with the M1 students. However, I am unsure when you 2011 people will get them. Why I say this is that you may be on a 2+2 schedule, so that means you don't start clinic until your third year. Also, I heard that you guys get this next years orientation with the MD students and they get their white coats the first year. So, you may also, but I am not sure.:confused:

Just curious...If scholl goes into a 2 + 2 schedule, would there be more classes with the MD students??? Any info on the changes occurring? Thanks

And why are they switching to 2+2, awwww iam not gonna get to do my first clinical in 2nd year:( .

I dont know man! my class pre-meds are very prejiduced and very ignorant.. Having orientation with MD students at Scholl is cool. It sounds great, it will be a beginning of great friendships and contacts. But i hope the Medical Class of 2011 is also very rational and practical. or else we have to spend all the three days of orientation in debates and discussions over : Do podiatrists admit patients or Do podiatrists takes pharmacy classes, do pods do this or do pods do that.:laugh:

If we really have a MD/DPM joint orientation. i for sure will print out that Sticky thead "What is Podiatric Medicine" topic and make like 30-40 copies and bring with me. if anyone starts asking too many questions. i will just handover that and say read this:cool: :D

Why I say this is that you may be on a 2+2 schedule, so that means you don't start clinic until your third year. Also, I heard that you guys get this next years orientation with the MD students and they get their white coats the first year. So, you may also, but I am not sure.:confused:

hey so does this also mean our Schedule of classes also change or it remains the same like this year.

And if it changes than can you give an idea what the schedule or course sequence will be like. Will it be like DMU curriculum?

Barry has our white coat/ rite of passage ceremony the summer after 2nd year. All of the basic sciences faculty sit on one side and all of the clinical faculty sit on the other side. The basic sciences chair puts a nice white coat bearing the university crest on as you get your photo snapped in front of cheering family and classmates. It's a pretty nice ceremony and signals the transition from classroom education to clinicals.

You wear a white lab coat (or scrubs, or both) to anatomy lab, but that's a lab coat. You'll want basically want to burn that one by the end of 1st year because it'll smell to high heaven of formulene if you spend enough time in there dissecting. :p I think it's funny that so many 1st years look all pretty going into the lab with their brand new scrubs or lab coats lol... when I TA there, I just wear the oldest worn out scrubs I can find because whatever you wear is gonna stink in the end. :eek:

You don't really need to wear actual white coats until you are in clinic daily - or maybe occasionally if they are required at the clinics where you shadow DPMs.

I heard Gustydoc was so amazing at being amazing, that he once looked at a patients bunion and it spontaneosly morphed back to normal.

And of course Feelgood is pretty much the best person in the world.

I heard Gustydoc was so amazing at being amazing, that he once looked at a patients bunion and it spontaneosly morphed back to normal.

And of course Feelgood is pretty much the best person in the world.

I'm still not going to put your name on my next publication. :D

Throw me a frickin bone here. I take back all the good things I've said then, it just wasn't worth it. Will you be my mentor? PLEASE!!!!!