white coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanisheyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
usually when are white coat ceremonies? Aren't they usually the weekend before classes begin?

Members don't see this ad.

White coat ceremony = biggest waste of time in optometry school

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mean to sound so ignorant, but what is a "white coat ceremony"? I thought that was the grad ceremony for new docs? I realize I'm prob wrong...thanks!

Don't mean to sound so ignorant, but what is a "white coat ceremony"? I thought that was the grad ceremony for new docs? I realize I'm prob wrong...thanks!

I can only speak for the white coat ceremony at IU. I think it was towards the end of 2nd year, after you pass competencies (clinical tests they make you do so they know you won't kill any real patients). The ceremony is a lot like kindegarten graduation, a pretty meaningless exercise where we all get told how proud we should be of ourselves because of what we've "accomplished". We had to stand up and read the optometric oath and then we paraded across the stage and the dean put our white coat on us. What a privilege :rolleyes:. It's a load of BS and I didn't want to go, but I also didn't want to be the lone jackass who didn't show up for it. They at least had a nice meal, but that certainly didn't make it worth my time.

Well, the ceremony means more to some people and less to some.
The ceremony means alot to me personally.
That being said, I believe a white coat ceremony should be held at graduation.

Well, the ceremony means more to some people and less to some.
The ceremony means alot to me personally.
That being said, I believe a white coat ceremony should be held at graduation.

How could a white coat ceremony mean a lot to you personally? You're not even in optometry school.

How could a white coat ceremony mean a lot to you personally? You're not even in optometry school.

It will mean alot to me when I get to optometry school and attend the white coat ceremony.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Based on the descrition, the ceremony sounds like a waste of time- but then again, its only going to happen once so might aswell attend it.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think white coat ceremonies are a nice idea (as long as they're not too overdone). It just marks the milestone of the start of your clinical education, and since professional school seems to be all about milestones -- finishing your first term, seeing your first patient, passing the board exams, etc. -- why not?

mupreopt... how can it mean anything to you yet and why do you think it should be done at graduation? thats a stupid idea....
the point of the white coat ceremony is to get your white coat officially... if you do it at graduation it will be the grey coat ceremony because you have already been wearing it for a couple years while seeing patients.
i wish you would grow up... all the comments you make on this forum are so immature... i would be really sad if they let you into my school

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think white coat ceremonies are a nice idea (as long as they're not too overdone). It just marks the milestone of the start of your clinical education, and since professional school seems to be all about milestones -- finishing your first term, seeing your first patient, passing the board exams, etc. -- why not?

I guess I've never really been that wound up about milestones and accomplishments. Why don't we have worthless ceremonies after every semester, or every test, or just for passing boards? I don't really care, I just really hated the white coat ceremony and thought it be a giant waste of my time.

I think this is a pretty funny read from someone else who hates white coat ceremonies:

http://www.theangrypharmacist.com/archives/2007/10/white_coat_cere.html

why do you think it should be done at graduation? thats a stupid idea....

By handing out the coat at graduation, it would symbolize that you were successful and graduated from optometry school. Giving it at the beginning of optometry school without even going through optometry school yet is like giving a diploma before going through school.
But I also agree with r salis regarding the milestone thing.

i wish you would grow up... all the comments you make on this forum are so immature... i would be really sad if they let you into my school

How are my comments immature? Give me one or two specific answers and include a specific post or comment that I've made that are immature.
What do you mean I should grow up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak for the white coat ceremony at IU. I think it was towards the end of 2nd year, after you pass competencies (clinical tests they make you do so they know you won't kill any real patients). The ceremony is a lot like kindegarten graduation, a pretty meaningless exercise where we all get told how proud we should be of ourselves because of what we've "accomplished". We had to stand up and read the optometric oath and then we paraded across the stage and the dean put our white coat on us. What a privilege :rolleyes:. It's a load of BS and I didn't want to go, but I also didn't want to be the lone jackass who didn't show up for it. They at least had a nice meal, but that certainly didn't make it worth my time.
Our white coat ceremony goes pretty much exactly like this, only minus the meal (minus the only redeeming value?) I didn't really mind it...it was still kinda fun...though very cheesy. I think I'll enjoy the actual graduation more. :p

......the only reason I'm going to optometry school is to get the white coat.........:D

:confused: Wow. I'm looking forward to mine. Less time in lecture and more time in clinic = reason for celebration! :hardy:

white coat ceremony, black coat ceremony, i dont care if your a doctor with a damn cape. as long as i have an OD degree after 4 years where i can make a difference in someone elses life, thats good enough for me.

white coat ceremony, black coat ceremony, i dont care if your a doctor with a damn cape. as long as i have an OD degree after 4 years where i can make a difference in someone elses life, thats good enough for me.

:thumbup:

mupreopt... how can it mean anything to you yet and why do you think it should be done at graduation? thats a stupid idea....
the point of the white coat ceremony is to get your white coat officially... if you do it at graduation it will be the grey coat ceremony because you have already been wearing it for a couple years while seeing patients.
Please keep your comments constructive and refrain from personal attacks. No need to get mean. :rolleyes:

Our white coat ceremony was mandatory. I at first thought it was a waste of time, but in retrospect, there are many in my class who really enjoyed it. It was a milestone of sorts, and it was a validation of their continued hard work.

DO NOT go around telling everybody how much you don't like being there, or that you think it is a waste of time. That would be juvenile and foolish. You may really ruin someone's good feelings for no reason at all.

So even if you are like me and really don't personally see a need for it, go along with it. It really positively affects a number of your classmates, and if you keep a positive atmosphere about it yourself as well, it will really enhance the experience. Hell, you may actually enjoy it a bit.

AA

So even if you are like me and really don't personally see a need for it, go along with it. It really positively affects a number of your classmates, and if you keep a positive atmosphere about it yourself as well, it will really enhance the experience. Hell, you may actually enjoy it a bit.

Amen!

usually when are white coat ceremonies? Aren't they usually the weekend before classes begin?

It's probably different at every school...At UMSL, the white coat ceremony is at the end of the 2nd year, AFTER passing the proficiency. For our class, it is scheduled for the day after our last final exam in May...